ROBERTS-PARENTS Archives

Roberts Parents

ROBERTS-PARENTS@LISTSERV12.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
Teresa Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2006 12:40:15 -0400
A MESSAGE FROM MRS. YOUNGBLOOD
Our kindergarten orientation for our 2006-2007 kindergarten students was a
great success.  I was so proud of our current kindergarten students for
making our new little Red Foxes feel welcome!
I want to extend a special thank you to our parents for making the teachers
feel so appreciated last week.  The luncheon and gifts were very
thoughtful.  The teachers thoroughly enjoyed their special week.  Thank you
for your continued support!!
Please plan to attend our spring music program on May 23 at 6:00 PM at
Chiles High School where our second grade students will perform a musical
play.  It promises to be a delightful and entertaining performance that you
won’t want to miss!  I hope to see you there.

STUDENT APPRECIATION DAY
We have had many “appreciation” events all year to honor all those who work
with and support our students.  Next week we will set aside a day to honor
the most important group at Roberts…the students!  Our faculty and staff
declared May 19, 2006 as Student Appreciation Day!   Children will be
treated to ice cream treats and sunglasses to show them how much we
appreciate their good behavior, their kindness to one another, and their
academic successes.  We love our Roberts Red Foxes.  They are the best
students in the world!

SAC MEETING – MAY 18
Our last SAC meeting of the year will be held on Thursday, May 18, at 5:30
PM in the Media Center.  Many thanks go to all parents who have served so
diligently on SAC this year.

EARLY RELEASE DAYS – MAY 24, 25, 26
Students will be dismissed at 11:40 AM on May 24, 25, and 26.  Bag lunches
will be served prior to dismissal.

CHANGE OF ADDRESS
If you have moved this year or are planning to move during the summer,
please call our office with your new address.  This information will help
us with class placement for the 2006-2007 school year.

SPRING MUSIC PROGRAM
Our annual Spring Concert, which will be performed by our second grade
students, will be held on Tuesday, May 23, at Chiles High School at 6:00
PM.  Information about the program has been sent home with all second grade
students.

SPIRIT WEEK
The Student Council will be sponsoring “Spirit Week” during the week of May
15-19.  Students may dress up each day according to the theme for the day.
The themes are as follows:
Monday – Hat Day (wear a hat)
Tuesday – Team Sports (wear your favorite team jersey)
Wednesday - Wacky Tacky Wednesday (wear clothes that do not match or wacky
clothes)
Thursday – Pajama Day (wear your pajamas to school - the pj’s must follow
school dress code)
Friday – Spirit Day/Shades Day (wear your Roberts t-shirt or school colors
and sunglasses)

MEDICATION PICK UP
All medication must be picked up from the clinic by an adult no later than
Friday, May 26, 2006 at 12:00 noon.  Any medication left in the clinic
after that date will be discarded.

KINDERGARTEN REGISTRATION
We are now in the process of registering kindergarten students for the 2006-
2007 school year.  Registration packets may be picked up in the office.  In
order to fully register students, the following items must be provided:
• A copy of the original birth certificate
• A current student health exam documented on a gold form from your
physician.  The health exam must be dated after August 2005
• Permanent immunization record recorded on the blue form from your
physician
• Two proofs of residency (i.e., current utility bill, lease
agreement, property tax statement, etc.)
We encourage parents to begin registration before the end of May.  Please
feel free to contact the office at 488-0923 if you have any questions.

FIFTH GRADE PARENTS GOING TO DEERLAKE
Deerlake Middle School PTO is selling pre-orders for “Sixth Grade
Packets”.  Each packet will include all the supplies that a sixth grader
needs to start the school year and will be delivered at the Deerlake
orientation on Friday, August 11, 2006.  The packet of school supplies
sells for $30.00; checks should be made payable to Deerlake Middle School-
PTO or DMS-PTO.  Order forms are available in the Deerlake office and are
due back by May 19, 2006.  If you have any questions, please contact Sara
Fox at [log in to unmask]

IMMUNIZATION CLINICS
The Leon County Health Department will be offering special immunization
clinics for students needing immunizations for school attendance.  Students
may be immunized from 4:00-6:30 PM on May 16 at the Leon County Health
Department, 2965 Municipal Way.

DATES TO REMEMBER

May 15-19 Spirit Week
  Monday – Hat Day
  Tuesday – Team Colors
  Wednesday - Wacky Tacky Wednesday
  Thursday – Pajama Day
  Friday – Spirit Day/Sunglasses Day
May 18  SAC Meeting – Media Center – 5:30 PM
May 19  Student Appreciation Day
May 23  Spring Concert – Chiles High School Auditorium – 6:00 PM
May 24-26 Early Release Days – Dismissal at 11:40 AM
May 26  Report Cards Go Home
                Last Day of School for Students

NUTRITION TIPS
The Nutrition Tip for the week of May 8-12 is “Spices can increase
sweetness”.  Adding certain spices can “bring out” the flavor.
The Nutrition Tip for the week of May 15-19 is “A good example of how
portion sizes can affect the health of children.”  Studies show that when
children ages three to five were served double the size of a standard lunch
entrée, they ate 25% more food than when they were served a “normal”
portion.  Overeating leads to excess calories, fat, saturated fat,
cholesterol, sodium and added sugars.  This approach to eating can lead to
excess weight gain and increase diet-related health risks.

PHYSICAL ACTIVITY TIPS
The Physical Tip for the week of May 8-12 is “Walking”.  Spend 20 to 30
minutes per mile, three times per week to reduce body fat and the risk of
heart attack by an average of 18%.  Power walking improves cardio-
respiratory fitness by as much as 16% and can provide as much as 95% of the
health benefits that come from exercise.  Jogging is equally good for the
cardio-respiratory system but the impact can take a toll on knees, ankles,
and lower back.  Race walking at up to eight miles per hour is a much
higher impact activity with a strenuous gait and hip action.  It is a high
fitness long distance sport.
The Physical Tip for the week of May 15-19 is “R.I.C.E. for injuries”.  If
you suffer from a sports related injury, use R.I.C.E.  The term stands for
Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation.

A SALUTE FROM ROBERTS

CONGRATULATIONS
Congratulations to a student in Mrs. Sullivan’s fourth grade class, who
recently participated and placed first and third in a karate tournament
held in Jacksonville, Florida.

GOOD CITIZENS
CONGRATULATIONS to those students whose names were drawn on April 28 and
May 5 for being good citizens.