ROBERTS-PARENTS Archives

Roberts Parents

ROBERTS-PARENTS@LISTSERV12.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
Teresa Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2006 08:57:11 -0500
MRS. YOUNGBLOOD’S MESSAGE
Our Science Fair Family Night was a huge success.  I want to thank the
teachers who gave of their time to help students begin researching their
topic and the parents for being here to support their children.  The night
was such a success, we will definitely offer it again next year.
I am so proud of our students who have been taking the FCAT this week.
They have been focused and have appeared to put forth their best effort.
It is hard to believe that we are approaching the end of the third nine
weeks.  Teachers will soon be setting up conferences with parents of
students who are struggling to meet grade level standards.  Please make
plans to attend these conferences if you are contacted so that you will be
aware of what must be accomplished for your child to be promoted to the
next grade level.  As always, we appreciate your support.

IMPORTANT PARKING PROCEDURES
As the school has grown larger, we have begun to experience problems with
parking.  Please make note of the following procedures:
• The front parking lot may not be used by anyone other than staff
and buses between the hours of 7:00-8:00 AM and 2:00-2:30 PM.
• Parents may park in the front parking lot from 8:00 AM-2:00 PM but
may not park along the curb.  Many times we have buses arriving for field
trips and the cars along the curb block their way of exiting the lot.
• If all parking spaces are filled in the front parking lot, parents
may use the spaces and the curbside in the parking lot located at the side
of the school.

MORNING DROP-OFF PROCEDURES
This is another reminder that parents are NOT to use the front parking lot
to drop their child off or to park and walk their child into the school
between 7:00-8:00 AM.  Parents must use the side parking lot during arrival
times in the morning.

KINDERGARTEN ORIENTATION
Please pass the word to families who have children beginning kindergarten
next year that we will be having an Open House/Orientation for parents and
their children on the morning of May 3.  We will begin our morning at 9:00
AM with an orientation in the cafeteria.  Parents and children will then be
able to visit kindergarten classes and will receive information to help
them begin the registration process.

PE NEWS FROM MRS. COX AND COACH G
CONGRATULATIONS to the Roberts Elementary Family!  We collected over
$9,000.00 for the American Heart Association through our Jump Rope for
Heart campaign.  Thank you for your contributions for a healthier nation.

CHANGE OF ADDRESS
If you have moved or are planning to move, please contact the office with
your new address.  We will also need two proofs of residency with your new
address.  If you have any questions, please contact Kim Kennett at 488-0923.

SILENT AUCTION
Calling all artists and crafters!  The Silent Auction would love to have
you donate your artwork.
Don’t know what to do with those “one of a kind” gifts that just don’t fit
your style or that you don’t need?  Why not “re-gift” them to the Silent
Auction.  Please donate only new items.
The Silent Auction is a great way to advertise your business.  Have your
business donate a service, product or cash donation.  If you are interested
in helping with the Silent Auction or if you need more information, please
contact Gigi Soto at 893-7252, 893-0827, or email her at [log in to unmask]

CHESS CHALLENGE
Mark your calendars for April 28, the day our students will participate in
a school wide Chess Challenge.  All students will be participating.  This
event will require many volunteers!  Knowledge of chess is not necessary!
If you are interested in helping, please plan to attend a meeting on March
7 at 1:30 PM in the school’s Media Center.  If you have any questions
regarding the Chess Challenge, please contact Sue Lelli at
[log in to unmask] or Teresa Atkins at [log in to unmask]
Coaches are also needed for the Chess Challenge.  If you are interested in
being a coach, please contact Jim Hinterlong at [log in to unmask]

TAKE OUR SONS AND DAUGHTERS TO WORK
The annual “Take our Sons and Daughters to Work” day will be held on April
27.  Leon County Schools will allow participation in this event for
children in grades 3-8.  Schools must receive a pre-approved letter from
the parent and/or guardian indicating that their child will be
participating in this event.  The employee must provide the school with a
written statement on company letterhead verifying the student’s attendance.

MUSIC NOTES FROM MRS. HULL
Our third grade students will be performing in a keyboard concert on
Thursday, March 30, at 8:30 AM in the school cafeteria.  Please feel free
to come and enjoy the show.

DATES TO REMEMBER

March 7  Chess Challenge Volunteer Meeting -  Media Center – 1:30 PM
March 16 End of Third Nine Weeks
March 17 Teacher Planning Day (Students Out)
March 20-24 Spring Break (Students/Teachers Out)
March 28 PTO Meeting – Media Center – 6:00 PM
March 30 Third Grade Keyboard Concert – Cafeteria – 8:30 AM
April 6  Report Cards Go Home
April 7  Field Day
April 11 Science Fair/Open House/Silent Auction
April 13 Spring Pictures

NUTRITION TIPS
The Nutrition Tip for the week of February 27-March 3 is “All wrapped up”.
The latest craze is the wrap—everything is wrapped in tortillas, tacos,
pitas and pastry shells.  But how healthful are these new sandwiches?
Wraps can provide a quick meal, but often provide the calories of two.
Wraps can have from 400 to 1500 calories, depending on the size and the
filling.  Before you jump on the bandwagon, check out the wrap.  Make your
own wrap to control calories, fat, sodium and size.  Load wraps with fresh
veggies, a moderate amount of lean meat and use sauces or dressings
sparingly.
The Nutrition Tip for the week of March 6-10 is “Add fiber to your diet”.
Breakfast cereals (hot or cold) can be important sources for fiber.  Check
labels to find good choices that are low in sugar.  Top with fruit for more
fiber.  Low fat or non-fat milk will complete the meal for a great start to
the day.

PHYSICAL ACTIVITY TIPS
The Physical Activity Tip for the week of February 27-March 3 is “Remember
your body’s ‘spring training’ fuel needs”.  Include plenty of carbohydrates
to fuel your muscles.  Smart choices include whole grains, fresh fruits,
vegetables and beans.  Eat carbohydrates throughout the day, before and
after workouts and training sessions.  Include protein from lean sources
like meat, fish, poultry, beans and dairy foods and a moderate amount of
fat.  Finally, remember to stay well-hydrated by drinking plenty of water
and water-based beverages throughout the day.  As your activity level
increases, remember to increase fluids, too.
The Physical Activity Tip for the week of March 6-10 is “When you head out
for your workout, is it a family event?”  Inactivity is increasing among
children.  This increase is leading to an increased body weight and poor
life-long habits.  Getting kids active can help increase their bone
density, decrease their risk for certain diseases, and develop family fun-
time habits.  Find activities the whole family can do—walk, bike, roller-
blade, swim, play tennis or golf, or any other physical activity.  If
kids/parents have been very sedentary, start slowly with ten minute
exercise periods a couple of times a week and increase from there.

A SALUTE FROM ROBERTS

CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR WRITERS
Several of our students have received certificates for participating in the
Leon County Reading Council Writing Contest.  CONGRATULATIONS to one of our
kindergarten students who one second place, and another one of our
kindergarten students who won third place winner in the Kindergarten
category, and to one of our third grade students who won second place
winner in the third through fifth grade category.  These three students
have also been invited to participate in an Author’s Workshop with local
author Adrian Fogelin.  We are very proud of all these students.

CITIZENSHIP SKILLS
Our Citizenship Skill for the week of February 13-17 was “friendship”.
CONGRATULATIONS to those students whose names were drawn on February 17.
Our Citizenship Skill for the week of February 20-24 was “courage”.
CONGRATULATIONS to those students whose names were drawn on February 24.