ROBERTS-PARENTS Archives

Roberts Parents

ROBERTS-PARENTS@LISTSERV12.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
Teresa Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2006 13:20:55 -0500
MRS. YOUNGBLOOD¡¦S MESSAGE
Report cards were sent home last week and we were so proud of our students¡¦
accomplishments!  Honor Roll certificates were awarded to 74 students who
made the A Honor Roll; 189 students who made the A/B Honor Roll; 394
students who made the Citizenship/Work Study Honor Roll; and to 258
students who had perfect attendance.  Congratulations to all of our
students for their hard work!
This month will be full of activities you won¡¦t want to miss, such as Kids
Voting, the Book Fair, Donuts for Dads, Internet Safety Workshop sponsored
by FDLE, and our annual Thanksgiving luncheon.  Details of these events can
be found in this newsletter.  I hope you can join us!

THANKSGIVING LUNCHEON
A special Thanksgiving lunch will be served on November 16 to all students
who are buying a school lunch that day.  Parents are welcome to join their
children.  The cost of an adult lunch is $2.75 and must be paid in cash.
We hope you can join us!

VETERANS DAY HOLIDAY
Friday, November 10, is Veterans Day Holiday.  There will be no school that
day.

BOOK FAIR/DONUTS FOR DADS
The Scholastic Book Fair will be held in our Media Center beginning Monday,
November 13, and continuing through Friday, November 17.  Flyers
highlighting some of the books to be offered will be sent home soon.  The
Book Fair will be open each day during school for children to come and
purchase books.  On Thursday, November 16, we will have ¡§Donuts for Dads¡¨.
On that day, the Book Fair will open at 7:00 AM for dads to bring their
children to the Book Fair.  They will enjoy donuts, juice, and coffee while
making book selections.  Thank you in advance for your support of our Book
Fair.  Proceeds are used to purchase additional books for the Media Center.

INTERNET SAFETY WORKSHOP
All parents are invited to attend the Internet Safety Workshop sponsored by
FDLE which will be held on November 14 at 7:00 PM in the Roberts
cafeteria.  I encourage all parents to attend this important workshop so
that you will have a better understanding of how to protect your children
from internet crime.  Parents should not plan to bring children that
evening as the content of the workshop is not appropriate for them to hear.

PTO MEETING
There will be a PTO meeting at 6:00 PM on November 14 in the Media Center.
We will adjourn by 6:45 PM so that parents can attend the Internet Safety
Workshop planned for that evening.

SPELLING BEE WINNERS
Congratulations to those students who first place, won second place, and
third place in the school¡¦s Spelling Bee.  The first place winner will go
on to represent Roberts Elementary in the district contest on December 7.
Good luck!

STAY HEALTHY DURING FLU SEASON
This is the cold and flu season.  Flu is caused by viruses that infect the
nose, throat, and lungs, and spreads through the air from person to person
when an infected person coughs, sneezes, or talks.  In an attempt to
decrease the spread of communicable diseases, please adhere to the
following guidelines:
ľ If your child complains of flu like symptoms such as body aches,
headaches, chronic coughing, vomiting, diarrhea, or fever, please keep your
child out of school.  If they do not feel well they are not able to learn
and other children become infected.
ľ Children must be fever free for a minimum of 24 hours and not
taking anti-fever medications such as Tylenol or Advil.
ľ Please update emergency contact numbers if you have moved or
changed phone numbers.  It is very important to reach a responsible adult
in the event of an accident or illness.
ľ Do not send your child to school with medication.  Parents are to
bring medication to the school and complete the medication permission form.

CROSSWALK SAFETY
We have received reports of parents pulling up into the crosswalk at the
intersection of Pimlico Drive and Centerville Road.  When this happens, the
crossing guard cannot allow the children to cross Centerville Road.  Please
do not block the crosswalk so that we can keep our children safe.  Thank
you.

THANK YOU
We would like to say ¡§thank you¡¨ to the following people who helped with
Sno Cone Day and the Health Screening:  BRIDGET ABBEY, RULUX BEAUCHAMP,
ANGIE BOLTZ, CINDI GOODSON, SUSAN JOHNSON, SHERRI BARRY, MARCIA JASKULSKI,
ERIN BECK, CANDY JANES, LIBBY FARMER, JOYCE BRIENEN, KIM KINGSTON, KIKI
SIMPSON, and ANITA BURKHALTER.

MENTORING PROGRAM
We greatly appreciate all those who have offered to be a mentor.  We still
have several children who need a mentor.  If you are interested in finding
out more about the mentoring program, please contact Sherry Aldinger at

DATES TO REMEMBER

November 7  Election Day/Kids Voting
November 10  Veterans Day Holiday (School Closed)
November 13-17  Book Fair
November 14  Academic Warnings Go Home
   PTO Meeting ¡V Media Center ¡V 6:00 PM
   Internet Safety Workshop ¡V Cafeteria ¡V 7:00 PM
     (for parents only ¡V not appropriate for children)
November 15  Pizza Delivery Date
November 16  Donuts for Dads ¡V Media Center ¡V 7:00 ¡V 8:00 AM
   Thanksgiving Luncheon
November 22  Thanksgiving Holiday (Students and Teachers Out)
November 23-24  Thanksgiving Holidays (School Closed)

PIZZA SALES
Due to low pizza sales, the deadline to turn in orders has been extended to
November 10.  The new delivery date will be November 15.  If you would like
to order a pizza kit and need an order,  please contact Mrs. Benners or
Mrs. Hull at 488-0923.

NUTRITION TIPS
The Nutrition Tip for the week of October 30-November 3 is ¡§Calorie
Conscious¡¨.  An entire small cantaloupe has about the same number of
calories as a small (1-oz.) bag of potato chips.
The Nutrition Tip for the week of November 6-10 is ¡§Smart Eating¡¨.  Eating
a handful of baby carrots for a snack can fill you up without adding a lot
of calories to your day.  Ten baby carrots have only 40 calories.

PHYSICAL TIPS
The Physical Tip for the week of October 30-November 3 is ¡§Don¡¦t Sweat
It¡¨.  If you¡¦re pressed for time, divide your activity into small
sessions.  Take a ten minute walk at lunch, another one after dinner, and
don¡¦t forget your abdominal work during commercials.
The Physical Tip for the week of November 6-10 is ¡§Use a Visible Reward
System¡¨.  The effects of exercise are cumulative and long term, so
sometimes it helps to see your results on a daily basis.  After each
workout, put a big red star on the calendar as a symbol that you completed
the day¡¦s workout.

A SALUTE FROM ROBERTS

GOOD CITIZENS
Our Citizenship Skill for the week of October 16-20 was ¡§self-respect¡¨.
CONGRATULATIONS to those students whose names were drawn on October 20.
Our Citizenship Skill for the week of October 23-27 was ¡§respect for
authority¡¨.  CONGRATULATIONS to those students whose names were drawn on
October 27.