ROBERTS-PARENTS Archives

Roberts Parents

ROBERTS-PARENTS@LISTSERV12.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
Teresa Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 2004 14:15:46 -0500
A MESSAGE FROM MRS. YOUNGBLOOD
We were very honored this week to have some distinguished guests visit our
school.  Senator Bill Nelson, Superintendent Bill Montford, and a group
from Leadership Tallahassee came to see the technology initiatives we have
implemented at Roberts Elementary and the impact the use of this technology
has on student learning.  Our students and teachers left a profound
impression on the group.  Our visitors were amazed at the high level of
technical skills our students exhibited and with the quality of the work
they presented.  They were also very impressed with our teachers’ use of
technology to enhance learning at the school.  As always, I am so proud of
our students and our teachers!!
I look forward to seeing many of you here on December 7 for the PTO meeting
and on December 9 for the winter concert, which will be performed by our
first and fifth grade students.  Thank you for your support and involvement!

EARLY RELEASE DAY – DECEMBER 17
Students will be dismissed at 11:40 AM on December 17.  Bag lunches will be
served prior to dismissal.

HOLIDAY HOUSE
The PTO Holiday House will be open during the school day Wednesday,
December 8, through Tuesday, December 14.  This is a perfect time for your
children to shop for Christmas gifts for family and friends.  If you would
like to be a Holiday House helper, please contact Mary Gavalas at 668-3601
and let her know what day(s) and time(s) you would like to help.  A Holiday
House letter and shopping list were sent home with students today.

WINTER CONCERT
The holidays are quickly approaching and our first and fifth grade students
are preparing for our annual Holiday Program.  Be sure to mark your
calendars for December 9 at 6:00 PM.

SAC MEETING
There will be a School Advisory Council meeting on Tuesday, December 14, at
5:30 PM in the Media Center.

CARING COUNTS-A CHRISTMAS CAMPAIGN
Roberts Elementary is helping families within our school community who may
require extra assistance during the holiday season.  This is a wonderful
opportunity for your child to give to those who may be in need this time of
year.  Each classroom will be “adopting” one or two children, and all
children are encouraged to help out in any way that they can.  Wish lists
for the child or children adopted by your child’s class will be sent home
today.  Please send in only NEW unwrapped gifts.  Gifts may be brought in
November 22-December 9.  Please be sure to label the gift with the code
assigned to the child.  If you have any questions, please call Kathy
Jacobsen at 488-0923.  Thank you for helping to make all our Roberts’
families have a brighter holiday.

CHRISTMAS FOOD DRIVE
Roberts Elementary will be working with The Salvation Army this year to
support their annual food drive.  Please help us support this project by
sending in canned goods and non-perishable foods during the week of
December 6-13.  If you have any questions, please call Kathy Jacobsen at
488-0923.

FEED YOUR MIND THROUGH MUSIC
The PTO is raising money to be used towards the purchase of keyboards for
music.  These keyboards will be used by all students.  The approximate cost
will be $3,000.00.  PTO will be sponsoring a spirit night on December 6 at
Chick-Fil-A on Capital Circle.  The class with the best participation will
win a party from Chick-Fil-A.

HELP KEEP OUR CHILDREN SAFE
Safety is a primary concern and we ask parents to assist in keeping our
children safe by following the correct procedures for dropping children off
in the morning and picking them up in the afternoon.  Please remember to
drive slowly as you are pulling out of the line and to show patience as the
adults assist your children each day.

YEARBOOK ORDERS
Don’t forget to order your yearbook!!  Order forms have been sent home.
The cost of the yearbook is $14.00 until January 31.  We will collect
orders after the holiday for those who find it more convenient to wait.
The cost of the yearbook after January 31 will be $16.00.

DATES TO REMEMBER

December 7  PTO Meeting – Media Center – 6:00 PM
December 8-14  Holiday House Open
December 9  Winter Concert – Cafeteria – 6:00 PM
December 14  SAC – Media Center – 5:30 PM
December 17  End of Nine Weeks
   Early Release – Dismissal at 11:40 AM
December 20-31  Winter Holidays
January 3  Teacher Planning Day (Students Out)
January 4  Students Return

NUTRITION TIPS
The Nutrition Tip for the week of November 29-December 3 is “Pizza
Principles”. Choose your pizza wisely for fewer calories.  Two slices of a
medium deep-dish pizza with meat has about 900 calories and 50 grams of
fat.  A better choice would be twoices of hand-tossed cheese pizza—it has
about 500 calories and 20 grams of fat.
The Nutrition Tip for the week of December 6-11 is “Serving savvy.”  Do you
know what a “serving” is of your favorite food?  Try looking at the
nutrition label on the container and compare how much you usually eat to
the serving listed.  You may be surprised.

LOST AND FOUND
We have several coats, sweaters, and jackets in the Lost and Found.  If
your child has lost any of these items, please ask them to come to the
office to check the Lost and Found.  Any items not picked up by 12:00 PM on
Friday, December 17, will be donated to charity.

STUDENT DIRECTORIES
Student directories are now available for purchase.  The cost of the
directory is $2.00 per copy.  If you would like to purchase a directory,
please send $2.00 in an envelope with your child’s name, teacher’s name,
and grade level written on the front.

A SALUTE FROM ROBERTS

THANK YOU, AMBASSADORS
We would like to say a very special “thank you” to those students who
served as ambassadors during Senator Nelson, Superintendent Montford, and
Leadership Tallahassee’s visit to our school this week.

CITIZENSHIP SKILLS
Our Citizenship Skill for the week of November 15-19 was “setting a good
example.”  We would like to say a very special “congratulations” to those
students whose names were drawn on November 19.