ROBERTS-PARENTS Archives

Roberts Parents

ROBERTS-PARENTS@LISTSERV12.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
Teresa Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2007 14:32:35 -0500
MRS. YOUNGBLOOD’S MESSAGE
Report cards were sent home last week and we were so proud of our students’
accomplishments!  Honor Roll certificates were awarded to 83 students who
made the “A” Honor Roll; 212 students who made the “A/B” Honor Roll; 411
students who made the Citizenship/Work Study Honor Roll; and to 220
students who had perfect attendance.  Congratulations to all of our
students for their hard work!
November is the month for us to reflect on all things for which we are
thankful.  I want to take this opportunity to let you know how thankful I
am for all the parent support we have at Roberts, for our wonderfully well-
behaved and hard-working students, and for our dedicated and professional
faculty and staff.  I am thankful to be able to serve as your principal.

THANKSGIVING LUNCHEON
A special Thanksgiving lunch will be served on Thursday, November 15, to
all students who are buying a school lunch that day.  Parents are welcome
to join their children for lunch.  Be sure to check with your child’s
teacher for the time that their class will be having lunch.  The cost of an
adult lunch is $2.75 and must be paid in cash.  We hope you can join us!

VETERANS DAY HOLIDAY
Monday, November 12, is Veterans Day Holiday.  There will be no school that
day and the office will be closed.

SPELLING BEE WINNERS
Congratulations to our Spelling Bee winners, Our first place winner will
represent Roberts at the District Spelling Bee on December 13.  We are very
proud of these two fine students and the hard work they put into studying
for this event.

FALL FESTIVAL
Our rescheduled Fall Festival will be held on Friday, November 16, from
2:00-7:00 PM.  Please make plans to attend this fun-filled family event!

MIDDLE SCHOOL REZONING
The next scheduled meeting for the middle school rezoning will be held on
Thursday, November 15, from 6:00-8:00 PM in the Roberts Elementary
cafeteria.  The public is invited to attend.

THANKSGIVING HOLIDAYS
Thanksgiving holidays will be Wednesday, November 21, through Friday,
November 23.   School will not be in session and the school office will be
closed on those days.  Enjoy the time with your children and families!

THANK YOU
We would like to say “thank you” to the volunteers who helped with our
October Sno Cone Day:  KAREN BIGGS, KIKI SIMPSON, and BONNIE THRASHER.  We
would also like to thank the following people for providing snacks for the
November PTO meeting:  DALFNIE BURT, GENA CRONLEY, and JULIE ZETTLE.

ROBERTS ELEMENTARY CARING CONNECTION
Roberts Elementary is helping families within our school community who may
require extra assistance during the holiday season.  This is a wonderful
opportunity for your child to give to those who may be in need this time of
year.  Each classroom will be “adopting” one or two children, and all
children are encouraged to help out in any way that they can.  Wish lists
for the child or children adopted by your child’s class will be sent home.
Please send in only NEW unwrapped gifts.  Gifts may be brought in November
27-December 11.  Please be sure to label the gift with the code assigned to
the child.  If you have any questions, please call Kathy Jacobsen at 488-
0923.  Thank you for helping to make all our Roberts families have a
brighter holiday.

VOLUNTEER OF THE MONTH
Congratulations to NEVA COBURN, who is our Volunteer of the Month for
November.  Mrs. Coburn will receive a gift certificate from Longhorn
Steakhouse and a reserved parking space for the month of November.  All
volunteers should record their hours on the computer located on the table
under the bulletin board in the office.  Each time you record your hours on
the computer, your name is entered into the drawing.  Names are drawn once
a month.

TURKEY TROT WITH THE RED FOXES
Red Foxes, please come out and run, walk, or trot a mile at the Turkey Trot
on Thanksgiving Day.  The Turkey Trot will be at 8:00 AM on November 22, at
the Capital Circle State Office Complex (Southwood).
Our school received the Kent Vann Partners in Excellence Award of $300.00
last year for having the most elementary school students participate.
Let’s do it again!
For more information, please see Coach Cox for a registration form, or
register online at www.active.com.  Be sure to note that you are “trotting”
for Roberts Elementary!

MUSIC NOTES FROM MRS. HULL
The fourth grade Winter Program will be performed on Thursday, December 13,
at 6:00 PM in the Roberts Elementary cafeteria.  There will be more
information coming home soon.  On Friday, December 14, the Chorus and
Project Art classes will be attending a performance of the Nutcracker at
Ruby Diamond Auditorium.

DATES TO REMEMBER

November 12 Veterans Day Holiday
November 15 Middle School Rezoning Meeting – 6:00-8:00 PM - Cafeteria
November 16 Fall Festival – 2:00-7:00 PM
November 21-23 Thanksgiving Holidays – No School (Office Closed)
November 27 Picture Retakes
November 28 Progress Alerts Go Home
December 5 Writes Upon Request (Grades 2-5)
December 13 Winter Music Program – 6:00 PM – Roberts Cafeteria
December 19-21 Early Release Days – Dismissal at 11:30 AM

NUTRITION TIPS
The Nutrition Tip for the week of October 29-November 2 is “Calorie
Conscious”.  An entire small cantaloupe has about the same number of
calories as a small (1-oz.) bag of potato chips.
The Nutrition Tip for the week of November 5-9 is “Smart Eating”.  Eating a
handful of baby carrots for a snack can fill you up without adding a lot of
calories to your day.  Ten baby carrots have only 40 calories.
The Nutrition Tip for the week of November 12-20 is “Thanksgiving can be
healthy”.  Turkey is one of the most nutritious meats you can eat.  It has
more protein and calcium, and less fat, calories, and sodium than other
meats.  The white meat without the skin is the healthiest way to enjoy
turkey.
PHYSICAL ACTIVITY TIPS
The Physical Tip for the week of October 29-November 2 is “Don’t Sweat
It”.  If you’re pressed for time, divide your activity into small
sessions.  Take a ten minute walk at lunch, another one after dinner, and
don’t forget your abdominal work during commercials.
The Physical Tip for the week of November 5-9 is “Use a Visible Reward
System”.  The effects of exercise are cumulative and long term, so
sometimes it helps to see your results on a daily basis.  After each
workout, put a big red star on the calendar as a symbol that you completed
the day’s workout.
The Physical Tip for the week of November 12-20 is “Find a convenient time
and place to do activities”.  Try to make it a habit, but be flexible.  If
you miss an exercise opportunity, work activity into your day another way.

A SALUTE FROM ROBERTS

GOOD CITIZENS
Our Citizenship Skill for the week of October 22-26 was “self-respect”.
CONGRATULATIONS to those students whose names were drawn on October 26:
Our Citizenship Skill for the week of October 29-November 2
was “thankfulness”.  CONGRATULATIONS to those students whose names were
drawn on November 2.