ROBERTS-PARENTS Archives

Roberts Parents

ROBERTS-PARENTS@LISTSERV12.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
Teresa Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2007 08:58:49 -0400
Dear Parents,

Leon County School District is committed to protecting the health and
welfare of children.  We also believe in the value of environmental
stewardship.  Accordingly, we are pleased to announce our adoption this
year of the iRecycle initiative, a program to promote recycling on campus
and teach students earth-friendly behaviors.

iRecycle is a partnership involving students, teachers, administrators,
custodians and parents.  All staff on campus will be learning about and
participating in recycling paper, plastic, glass, and canned items.  We ask
for your participation in this initiative by practicing recycling at home
and modeling earth-friendly behavior for your child.  To make this task
easier, we have attached a flyer that describes what can and can’t be
recycled.  This is an easy-to-use guide that can be posted on a
refrigerator.

For the 2007-08 school year, each classroom will have two student-made
recycling bins and each school will have city-issued larger bins located in
common areas.  Next year, we hope to obtain funds to purchase green plastic
bins for every classroom.

Activities planned for the upcoming school year include the formation of
student “Green Teams” on each campus, the delivery of grade-appropriate,
waste-reduction curricula, and student participation in several county-wide
events including CANpaign (October), Arts in the Park with a recycling
theme (March), and Earth Day (April).

More information will be forthcoming about this initiative and will be
available for access on our website.  We look forward to sharing our
progress with you.