ROBERTS-PARENTS Archives

Roberts Parents

ROBERTS-PARENTS@LISTSERV12.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
Teresa Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 2006 08:31:03 -0400
A MESSAGE FROM MRS. YOUNGBLOOD
It was so wonderful to see so many parents at the school for our Field Day,
Silent Auction, Open House, and Science Fair!  Thank you to all who came
out to assist with the events and to join in the fun!  Your involvement is
such a support to your children and their teachers!
I want to commend our students for their impressive Science Fair projects.
Our judges were quite impressed with the quality of the projects.  It was
obvious the students worked hard and learned a great deal from their
investigations.
Our Chess Challenge is right around the corner.  Please see details about
the event in this newsletter.  Opening ceremonies will begin at 8:15 AM and
we hope to see many parents coming out to join the festivities!

PTO MEETING
Our last PTO meeting of the year will be held on May 9 at 6:00 PM in the
Media Center.  This will be an important meeting as we wind up this year’s
projects, vote on next year’s officers, and honor our business partners who
have supported us all year.  Please plan to attend!

KINDERGARTEN ORIENTATION
Please pass the word to families who have children beginning kindergarten
next year that we will be having on Open House/Orientation for parents and
their children on the morning of May 3.  We will begin our morning at 9:00
AM with an orientation in the cafeteria.  Parents and children will then be
able to visit kindergarten classes and will receive information to help
them begin the registration process.

VOLUNTEERS OF THE YEAR
Congratulations to KAREN HOY (PTO President), STACIE KING (Fall Festival
Chair), GIGI SOTO (Silent Auction Chair),  JENNIFER CRAIG (Mentor
Volunteer), ANGELA ROLLE (Senior Adult Volunteer), and our Youth Volunteer
who will be honored at the Tallahassee Democrat Volunteer of the Year
Luncheon and/or the Leon County School Board Volunteer of the Year
Celebration.  We appreciate these and ALL our parents who work so hard for
our school.

SCIENCE EXPO
The Leon County Schools Science Expo will be held at the Challenger
Learning Center on May 6 from 10:00 AM – 12:30 PM.  Selected Science Fair
projects from most elementary schools will be on display.  Congratulations
to those students whose projects were chosen by the judges to represent
Roberts Elementary.  This will be a great event for the entire family.

CHESS CHALLENGE
Our Chess Challenge will occur on April 28.  This event will involve the
entire school.  All students will be coached on the basic concepts of chess
prior to that day.  Opening ceremonies will begin at 8:15 AM.  Students
will have a chance to play chess at some point during the day in the
cafeteria.   We will have two human chess games occurring during the day on
the PE court.  All students will receive a free t-shirt and their very own
chess set.  Many thanks go to SUE LELLI and TERESA ATKINS for coordinating
this worthwhile event and to the parents and community members who served
as coaches.  Thanks also go to our PTO and homeroom parents who have been
actively engaged in helping with all aspects of the Chess Challenge.  We
invite everyone to come join the fun!

THANK YOU FROM MRS. COX AND COACH G
A HUGE thank you to the following parents for their help at Field Day:
GREG and DEANNA PHILLIPS, JIMMY THORN, TINA WARD, DINA DILL, BOB GILLILAND,
KIM ESTES, SHERRY KAPLAN, JIM LAMAR, SHARON DAVIDSON, PAULA SILCOX, KIKI
SIMPSON, SHERRIE MCCALLISTER, STACIE BOONE, SHARON AND DONALD GREENER, JO
CAROL, DONNA JACOBS, RENEE SANDSTRUM, KIM PRINE, RICH MILLER, DIANNE
CONROY, JOANIE CHASE, BOB BECKER, CHRISTY SEARS, CAROL SCOTT, KAREN HOY,
and DOUG and MICHELLE ELKINS.  We also want to thank any other parents who
helped and were accidentally left out, and to the many parents who
just “stepped in”.  Thanks for making Field Day such a great day!!

THE BOOK FAIR IS COMING!
The Scholastic Book Fair will be held in our Media Center beginning Monday,
April 17, and continuing through Friday, April 21.  Flyers highlighting
some of the books to be offered are being sent home today.  The Book Fair
will be open each day during school for children to come and purchase
books.  On Tuesday, April 18, the Book Fair will be open from 4:30-7:00 PM
for families to come and enjoy.  They will enjoy cookies and lemonade.
Thank you in advance for your support of our Book Fair.  Proceeds are used
to purchase additional books for the Media Center.

ARRIVING LATE AT SCHOOL
Recently, we have noticed that excessive tardiness of students has
increased.  Students are expected to be in school on time each day.
Arriving on time each day is very important to your child’s success in
school.  Roberts’ school day begins at 7:55 AM.  When students are late to
class, they are missing very important instruction time.  Please make every
effort to have your child at school by 7:55 AM.

DATES TO REMEMBER

April 17-21 Book Fair – Media Center
April 19 Writes Upon Request (Grades 1-5)
April 20 SAC Meeting – Media Center – 5:30 PM
April 28 Chess Challenge
May 1-5  Teacher Appreciation Week
May 3  Kindergarten Orientation – Cafeteria – 9:00 – 10:30 AM
May 9  PTO Meeting – Media Center – 6:00 PM
May 15-19 Spirit Week
May 19  Student Appreciation Day
May 23  Spring Concert – Chiles High School Auditorium – 6:00 PM
May 24-26 Early Release Days – Dismissal at 11:40 AM

NUTRITION TIPS
The Nutrition Tip for the week of April 10-14 is “Protect your heart”.
Limit red meat, salt and fatty foods to keep your heart healthy and
arteries clog free.
The Nutrition Tip for the week of April 17-21 is “Control the calories”.
Eating a salad at the start of a meal can help to manage your weight.  It
takes the edge off your hunger, making it easier to eat smaller amounts of
other foods.  Three cups of salad provide at least three servings of
vegetables.  Salads can help make it easy for you to reach the recommended
goal of three to five servings of vegetables per day.
PHYSICAL ACTIVITY TIPS
The Physical Activity Tip for the week of April 10-14 is “Find the fit”.
It’s easy to fit physical activities into your daily routine.  Walk, bike
or jog to see your friends.  Take a ten minute activity break every hour
while you read, do homework or watch TV.  Climb stairs instead of taking an
escalator or elevator.  Try to do these things for a total of 30 minutes
every day.
The Physical Activity Tip for the week of April 17-21 is “Friends and
fitness”.  Take advantage of physical activities you and your friends enjoy
doing together and eat the foods you like.  Be adventurous—try new sports,
games and other activities as well as new foods.  You’ll grow stronger,
play longer, and look and feel better!  Set realistic goals—don’t try
changing too much at once.

A SALUTE FROM ROBERTS

CONGRATULATIONS
Congratulations to a student in Mrs. Holley’s fourth grade class who
recently participated and placed sixth overall in the Men’s Gymnastic
Championship Regionals in Charleston, South Carolina.

CITIZENSHIP SKILLS
Our Citizenship Skill for the week of April 3-7 was “Communication”.
CONGRATULATIONS to those students whose names were drawn on April 7.