ROBERTS-PARENTS Archives

Roberts Parents

ROBERTS-PARENTS@LISTSERV12.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
Teresa Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 2004 10:39:31 -0400
A MESSAGE FROM MRS. YOUNGBLOOD

Your children are wonderful and we are so happy to have them back at
school!!  The first two weeks have been very smooth thanks to our eager and
responsible students and to all the support we have received from our
parents.  Parents, please be on the lookout for our newsletters every other
Friday and read them thoroughly, as they will contain important information.
This year we are implementing a new citizenship program.  We will be
emphasizing a new citizenship skill each week.  Children will bring an
assignment home on Monday addressing the skill of the week and should
return the assignment to their teacher on Thursday.  All students who
return their assignments and exhibit the skill throughout the week will
have their names submitted for a drawing which will take place on Friday.
Please be on the lookout each Monday for these assignments and discuss the
activity with your child.
I am looking forward to another successful and productive year with your
children.  Thank you, again, for all your support!

ARRIVAL AND DISMISSAL
Thank you for your efforts in getting your children to school on time.
Children who arrive late to school are at a disadvantage and their
schoolwork may suffer.  Traffic begins backing up at around 7:40 A.M. and
is causing some of our students to enter class after the bell rings.  I
encourage you to consider dropping your children off a little earlier to
help with this situation.  Also, please read carefully the section in this
newsletter on safety so that everyone understands the procedures that must
be followed during the hectic times of arrival and dismissal.  Remember
that school begins at 7:50 A.M.  Students arriving after 7:55 A.M. must be
signed in at the front office by their parent.
Just as important to a timely arrival is good communication from parents
about dismissal plans.  If you have a change in the way your child normally
goes home, please let the teacher know in writing.  In the case when a
change in plans is made suddenly with no opportunity to send in a note, we
ask that you call the school prior to 1:45 P.M. so that we can get the
message to your child.

GRANDPARENTS DAY AT ROBERTS ELEMENTARY
We will be honoring our students’ grandparents on Friday, September 10, by
inviting them to have lunch with their grandchild at school.  Your child’s
teacher will be sending home information about the class lunch time and
plans for the day.  The cost of lunch is $2.50 for adults and $1.50 for
children.  Please plan to join us.

KEEPING OUR CHILDREN SAFE
The safety of our children at school is a top priority for us.  To help us,
the following procedures will continue to be implemented:
• Safe traffic patterns will be strictly enforced.  Parents will not
be allowed to drop off or pick up their children in the front parking lot
between the hours of 7:15-8:00 A.M. and 2:00-2:45 P.M.  It is against
School Board policy for car drop off and pick up areas to be intermingled
with the bus loading zone.  However, parents and visitors should feel free
to use the front parking lot at other times during the day.
• Children should not be dropped off at school until 7:20 A.M.
• Courtyard gates will be locked during the school day, except during
arrival and dismissal times.
• All visitors must check in through the front office to sign and
receive a name tag.  (Feel free to park in the front parking lot for
convenience, except during arrival and dismissal times.)
• Parents will be asked to show their ID when checking their child
out of school.  Once the office staff becomes familiar with you and
recognizes you as the parent, they will no longer request your ID.
• Children will not be released to any adult who is not on the
emergency list provided by the parent.
• Emergency drills will be held monthly.  September’s drill will be
a “lockdown” practice.  Children will receive an explanation of the drill
and will understand it is only a “practice.”
• If you are crossing Centerville Road from Pimlico Drive to get to
the school, please be sure that you are in the correct lane.  The far right-
hand lane on Pimlico Drive is for right turns only.
Although some of these policies may cause some inconvenience to you, we
hope you will understand and appreciate our efforts to keep your child safe.

CANNED GOODS FOR HURRICANE VICTIMS
Our students have been practicing the citizenship skill of “compassion”
this week.  We felt that a good way for them to practice this skill would
be to bring in canned goods for the hurricane victims in South Florida
through Friday, September 3.

OPEN HOUSE
Our Open House will be held on Monday, August 30, from 5:30 – 7:00 P.M.
This will be a time for parents to meet with their child’s teachers, see
the classrooms, and to receive information about grade level expectations,
classroom routines, homework policies, etc.  Our PTO will also be having
Pizza on the Patio from 5:30 – 7:00 P.M.  The cost is:
2 slices of pizza and drink - $2.00
1 slice of pizza and drink - $1.00
We hope to see you there!

DATES TO REMEMBER
August 27 Sally Foster PTO Fundraiser Begins
August 30 Open House – 5:30 – 7:00 PM
         Pizza on the Patio – 5:30 – 7:00 PM
August 31 Election Day
September 6 Labor Day (School Closed)
September 7 PTO – Media Center – 6:00 PM
September 10 Grandparents Day Lunch
September 13 All Sally Foster Orders Due

COMMUNICATION
Communication is important and we constantly strive to find ways to keep
you up to date.  One way to receive up to date information is to go on our
LISTSERV and to visit the Roberts Elementary and Leon County Schools
websites.  To receive regular emails regarding Roberts’ school news, join
our LISTSERV by following these directions:  go to
http://listserv.leon.k12.fl.us and click on Roberts.  Click on “Join the
List” and put in your email address and name.  Then click “Join” and follow
the directions.

ELECTION DAY
Please be aware that our school is a voting precinct.  Voting will be
taking place on Tuesday, August 31.  The side parking lot will be reserved
for voters, although parents may continue to use the side to drop off and
pick up their students.  We will have someone directing traffic as well as
a resource officer on campus the entire day.  You may want to allow extra
time in the morning to avoid delays.

NEWS FROM PTO
Today starts our biggest fundraiser of the year.  PLEASE HELP US!!  Ask
your friends and relatives to buy from the Sally Foster catalog sent home
with your child today.
Last year your generosity allowed us to purchase six patio tables and
umbrellas for our school.  This year our goal is to buy $4,500.00 worth of
books and resources for the media center.  These gifts are in addition to
our regular budget needs.  Our budget includes raising money for Safety
Patrol, lunchroom rewards, teacher appreciation, scholarships, fifth grade
promotion ceremony, and a number of other expenditures.  To find out more
about our budget, join us September 7 for our first PTO meeting.
Right now, we have a couple of immediate volunteer needs in PTO.  I hope
you will help us out!  Can you type?  If so, we need you for a one-time
project.  We need about five people who will help us get the Student
Directory typed up on disks.  This will probably take one to two hours and
can be done at school or home.  If you will help, please call Carol Scott
at 893-3888 or Beth Fogler at 877-5484.  We also need a few people to help
with our Partner committee.  This should not take more than a couple of
hours per month.  Please call to help!  ROBERTS IS #1 BECAUSE OF YOU!!

VOLUNTEER APPLICATION FORMS
We love our volunteers!  Beginning this year, the Leon County School Board
is requiring that anyone who volunteers in a classroom, chaperones a field
trip, or works with children in any way must complete a Volunteer
Application.  These forms were sent home in the first day packets with
students.  If you have not completed an application and would like to
volunteer, please be sure to ask the office staff for a form when you come
in to volunteer.

BOX TOPS FOR EDUCATION
Please continue to save your Box Tops for Education.  These are found on
most General Mills products.  A contest between classrooms will begin in
September.  The class collecting the most Box Tops will receive a special
treat.

MEDICATION POLICY
If your child needs to take any medication during school hours, a
parent/guardian is required to complete a medication form and bring the
medication to the office.  Students are not permitted to have medication in
their possession at any time.  The permission form is available in the
office and must be completed for all prescription and over the counter
medications.  ALL medication MUST be brought to the office in the original
bottle or box.  Most pharmacies will prepare two bottles if asked.  If you
have any questions, please call Dawn Newhall at 488-0923.