ROBERTS-PARENTS Archives

Roberts Parents

ROBERTS-PARENTS@LISTSERV12.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
Teresa Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2006 09:18:29 -0400
MRS. YOUNGBLOOD’S MESSAGE
The children have returned from spring break rested and ready to complete
their grade level expectations.  As the time changes this weekend,
resulting in longer daylight hours, we often find that children do not get
enough rest and become less productive in school.  I would like to take
this opportunity to encourage families to keep early bedtimes and
consistent routines for their children during these springtime months.  The
result will be happier, well-behaved children who are able to be successful
with their schoolwork.
Our first and second graders take their SAT10 tests next week, April 4-7.
We appreciate parents making sure the children come to school on time, well
rested and having eaten a good breakfast so they can do their best on the
tests.
One of our biggest evenings of the year will be held on Tuesday, April 11.
Please plan to come for the Open House, pizza dinner, Silent Auction, and
Science Fair!  The schedule is listed below.  Please note that classrooms
will be open from 6:30-7:15 PM, but other events can be enjoyed beginning
at 5:00 PM.  We look forward to seeing you there.

SCIENCE FAIR
Please remember that projects are due on Monday, April 10, and the judging
will be held on Tuesday, April 11.  For convenience to parents, we are
offering backboards for sale at a cost of $5.00.  All projects will be
available for viewing at our Open House on April 11.

SPRING OPEN HOUSE
Please mark April 11 on your calendars for an evening full of great
activities for our families.  The schedule will be as follows:
5:00-7:00   Pizza Dinner (Back Patio)
5:00-7:30   Viewing of Science Fair Projects (Cafeteria)
5:00-6:30   Silent Auction (Sidewalks)
6:30-7:15   Visit Classrooms
7:15-7:30   Silent Auction Winners Posted (Media Center)

FIELD DAY
Our annual Field Day for students in first through fifth grades will be
held on Friday, April 7, and it promises to be a fun day for all!  We will
need lots of volunteers for this event.  Please contact Laurie Cox at the
school if you are available to help out that day.  This event is a perfect
opportunity for DADS to volunteer!!  We also invite parents to stop by and
watch the events during the day!
Field Day for kindergarten students will be held on Monday, April 10, from
10:45 – 11:30 AM.

SPRING PICTURES
Individual and group pictures will be taken on Thursday, April 13.  You
will be able to preview these pictures before purchasing them.  If you do
not wish to purchase the pictures, please return them to your child’s
teacher.

2006-2007 KINDERGARTEN ORIENTATION
Please pass the word to families who have children beginning kindergarten
next year that we will be having an Open House/Orientation for parents and
their children on the morning of May 3.  We will begin our morning at 9:00
AM with an orientation in the cafeteria.  Parents and children will then be
able to visit kindergarten classes and will receive information to help
them begin the registration process.

PTO SILENT AUCTION
Our Third Annual PTO Silent Auction will be held on Tuesday, April 11.  We
are still in need of volunteers to help with this event.  We will be
wrapping all baskets on Saturday, April 8, beginning at 10:00 AM.  Please
contact Gigi Soto at 893-7252, 893-0827, or email her at [log in to unmask]
for more information or if you are interested in helping with the auction.

NORTH LEON RELAY FOR LIFE
The North Leon Relay for Life will be holding a community event called “Kid
Zone” on Friday, April 7 from 6:00-10:00 PM, and Saturday, April from 9:00–
11:00 AM.  There will be free live entertainment for all ages.  The event
will be held at Chiles High School Track and Field.  For more information
about the event, please contact Marianne Brooks at 297-0588.

TIME CHANGE – SPRING FORWARD
This is a reminder that daylight savings time begins on Sunday, April 2.
Please remember to set your clocks ahead one hour on Saturday night.

TAKE OUR SONS AND DAUGHTERS TO WORK
The annual “Take Our Sons and Daughters to Work” day will be held on April
27.  Leon County Schools will allow participation in this event for
children in grades 3-8.  Schools must receive a pre-approved letter from
the parent and/or guardian indicating that their child will be
participating in this event.  The employee must provide the school with a
written statement on company letterhead verifying the student’s attendance.

DATES TO REMEMBER

April 4-7 SAT10 Testing – Grades 1 and 2
April 5  Report Cards Go Home
April 7  Field Day – 1st through 5th Grade
April 10 Field Day – Kindergarten – 10:45 – 11:30 AM
April 11 Open House – 6:30 – 7:15 PM
  Pizza Dinner – Back Patio – 5:00 – 7:00 PM
  Science Fair – Cafeteria – 5:00 – 7:30 PM
  Silent Auction – Sidewalks – 5:00 – 6:30 PM
April 13 Spring Pictures
April 17-21 Book Fair – Media Center
April 19 Writes Upon Request (Grades 1 - 5)

NUTRITION TIPS
The Nutrition Tip for the week of March 27-31 is “Loose 100 calories a
day”.  When you think about gain, you probably think overeating or not
exercising.  The reality is a simple 100 calories a day can make the
difference in weight gain or loss.  Americans gain about two pounds a
year.  Since every pound of body weight equals 3,500 calories, two pounds
translates into an extra 19 calories a day.
The Nutrition Tip for the week of April 3-7 is “Snack on fruits and
vegetables”.  Fruits and vegetables are low calorie and full of vitamins
and minerals.  These vitamins and minerals help keep you strong and healthy
so that you can do all the things you want to do.  Keeping your calorie
intake balanced with your activity level will help you stay at a healthy
body weight.

PHYSICAL ACTIVITY TIPS
The Physical Activity Tip for the week of March 27-31 is “Building healthy
muscles”.  Nutrition and working out go hand-in-hand to help you build
muscles.  You need to work your muscles to build strong muscle mass and eat
enough calories to repair muscles after a hard workout.  Maximize your
muscle development by having a regular lifting routine and aerobic
activity.  For proper fuel, you need carbohydrates to help the body during
a workout, repair muscles after and to aid in rebuilding muscle mass.
The Physical Activity Tip for the week of April 3-7 is “Make it FUN”.
Choose activities that are fun, not exhausting.  Add variety.  Develop a
repertoire of several activities that you can enjoy.  Use music to keep you
entertained while being active.

A SALUTE FROM ROBERTS

CITIZENSHIP SKILLS
Our Citizenship Skill for the week of March 13-16 was “Communication”.
CONGRATULATIONS to those students whose names were drawn on March 16.