ROBERTS-PARENTS Archives

Roberts Parents

ROBERTS-PARENTS@LISTSERV12.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
Teresa Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 20 Jan 2006 09:38:01 -0500
MRS. YOUNGBLOOD’S MESSAGE
I want to take this time to say thank you once again to our PTO, under the
leadership of KAREN HOY, and to our parent volunteers for all the support
you continue to give our school.  Your hard work and dedication make this
school a special place and the children benefit greatly.  Please know that
you are sincerely appreciated!
I have completed my individual conferences with each fourth and fifth grade
student.  I was so impressed with each child’s ability to set goals and to
articulate his/her thoughts.  The students’ maturity and desire to do well
in school is a direct result of the support they receive from their parents
and the fine instruction they receive from their teachers.  I am so proud
of our students, and I thank you for your continued support.

CHESS CHALLENGE
Mark your calendars for April 28, the day our students will participate in
a school wide Chess Challenge.  Each child will learn to play chess and
will have the opportunity to show their skills on the day of the Chess
Challenge.  Much planning and organization has been going into this event.
Many thanks to TERESA ATKINS, one of our parents, who has been doing much
of the leg work and planning along with SUE LELLI who helps to sponsor the
event each year at a different school.  A great deal of fundraising is
needed to cover the cost of this event.  Along with learning to play chess,
all students will receive their own chess board and chess pieces.  PTO is
accepting donations,  Please consider making a donation toward this
worthwhile event.

VOLUNTEER APPRECIATION WEEK
FEBRUARY 13-17
Volunteer Appreciation Week will be observed February 13-17.  There will be
a reception for all volunteers on Thursday, February 16, at 2:30 PM in the
Media Center.  A flyer with more information will be sent home at a later
date.  We appreciate our volunteers!

WHEELY’S
We have learned that some children are wearing “wheely’s” to school and
engaging the wheels during the after school program.  Children should not
wear this type of shoe to school.  Any child who wears wheely’s to school
and engages the wheels will have to remove them.  The wheels will not be
returned unless a parent comes to pick them up.

SCIENCE FAIR
To prepare our students for the Science Fair, held in April, all students
will be learning about the scientific process through classroom projects
during the month of February.  Students in all grade levels will be given
the opportunity to submit individual projects in preparation for the
Science Fair.  There will be a workshop for parents following the PTO
meeting on February 7.  Parents will learn about the expectations for the
projects and will be given guidance on how to help your child through the
process.  Parents are encouraged to attend this informative session.

CLIMATE SURVEYS
Climate surveys were sent home with kindergarten, third, fourth and fifth
grade students last week.  We appreciate parents taking the time to
complete the surveys.  Please be sure to return them to school by Monday,
January 23.

REASSIGNMENT INFORMATION
Roberts has reached 95% capacity and is no longer a Choice Option for
reassignment.  This affects our current students in only one way.  If you
are currently living in the Roberts zone and move out of zone during the
year, you need to inform us of your new address and provide appropriate
documents; your child will be allowed to remain at Roberts for the
remainder of the current school year.  The following year, your child would
be transferred to the school zone that you moved to.  This only affects
students in kindergarten through second grades.  Students in third and
fourth grades would be eligible to remain at the school through the
Reassignment/Grandfathering option providing that parents submit the
request by the March 1 deadline.  If you have any questions, please contact
Kim Kennett in the school office at 488-0923.

YEARBOOK REMINDER
Don’t forget to order your yearbook!!  Order forms have been sent home with
your child.  The cost of the yearbook is $15.00.  If you have any school
activity pictures that we could use in the yearbook, please send them to
the office.

8TH ANNUAL ESE FAMILY CONFERENCE
The 8th Annual ESE Family Conference will be held on Saturday, February 4,
at Belle Vue Middle School from 8:30 AM to 3:30 PM.  Please call 4887-2630
to register for the conference.

DATES TO REMEMBER

January 21 District Speech Contest – Community Christian School
February 7 PTO Meeting – Media Center – 6:00 PM
  Science Fair Workshop – Media Center – Following PTO Meeting
February 7-8 FCAT Writes (Grade 4)
February 9 Progress Alerts Go Home
February 13-17 Volunteer Appreciation Week
February 16 Volunteer Appreciation Reception – Media Center – 2:30 PM
February 20 Presidents Day Holiday (Students/Teachers Out)
February 27-
March 10 FCAT (Grades 3-5)

MEMORIAL EVENT AT CHALLENGER LEARNING CENTER
The Challenger Learning Center will hold a Memorial Event on Saturday,
January 28, commemorating the 20th Anniversary of the Challenger accident.
The event is free to the public.  For more information, please contact Ida
Thompson at 556-1815 or 893-4886.

NUTRITION TIP
The Nutrition Tip for the week of January 17-20 is “Think Before You Eat!”
Use hunger as your guide for eating.  Think about why you are eating.
Sometimes we eat for other reasons besides hunger, like being bored,
nervous or tired.
The Nutrition Tip for the week of January 23-27 is “Fresh is Best.”  Eat
more fresh foods than processed foods.  Processed foods come in packages
like boxes, bags, cans, etc.  They have been altered from their natural
state.  Eating too many of these types of foods can be bad for our health.
Focus on eating more fresh foods like whole fruits and vegetables, fresh
meat, etc.  A good guide is to shop the perimeter (the outside walls) of
the grocery store.
PHYSICAL ACTIVITY TIP
The Physical Activity Tip for the week of January 17-20 is “Plan Your
Walking Route.”  Plot your route in the car first.  You will be able to
plan ahead, measure the distance, track your speed and measure your
progress.  Optimum Target: three miles, three times a week.
The Physical Activity Tip for the week of January 23-27 is “Exercise and
Your Heart.”  The heart pumps more efficiently when you exercise
regularly.  Your lungs expand to take in more oxygen from the air.  Your
skin gets twice as much blood during exercise, giving you a healthy glow.
During exercise muscles get 12 times as much blood as normal, giving them
extra oxygen and nutrients.  For the best effect, try to work your heart
hard for twenty minutes at least three times per week.

A SALUTE FROM ROBERTS

CITIZENSHIP SKILLS
Our Citizenship Skill for the week of January 3-6 was “being a good
example.”  CONGRATULATIONS to those students whose names were drawn on
January 6.
Our Citizenship Skill for the week of January 9-13 was “learning from
discipline.”  CONGRATULATIONS to those students whose names were drawn on
January 13.