ROBERTS-PARENTS Archives

Roberts Parents

ROBERTS-PARENTS@LISTSERV12.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
Teresa Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 13 Jan 2004 14:17:19 -0500
A MESSAGE FROM MRS. YOUNGBLOOD
Welcome back and Happy New Year!!  It is so nice to have the children back
with us.  We missed them!  The children have returned ready to buckle down
again.  It is crucial that these next few months be ones of concentration
and hard work.

Next week will be an exciting one for all of us at Roberts.  The Southern
Association of Colleges and Schools will be visiting the school on
Thursday, January 15, to review our documentation of the standards
required for accreditation.  This will be the first official SACS visit
for Roberts and we are excited to share with the review team our wonderful
successes.  The SACS review team will share the results of their visit
with us at 2:45 PM that same afternoon in the Media Center.  All faculty
and staff will be present to hear the report and we invite parents to
attend as well.  We will also share the results of the visit with you in
the next newsletter.

REPORT CARDS
We want to remind parents that report cards will be sent home with
students on Wednesday, January 14.

MINI-CONFERENCE FOR PARENTS AT ROBERTS – FEBRUARY 17
Mark your calendars for the upcoming mini-conference for parents on the
evening of Tuesday, February 17 at Roberts Elementary.  This conference
will consist of 30 minute workshops on topics which will be helpful to
parents in supporting their child’s education.  Parents will be able to
sign up for sessions based on their interests and needs.  Session topics
will include:  Open Court Reading, The Struggling Learner, Razzle Dazzle
Writing, Reading Strategies at Home, FCAT Explorer, The Gifted Child,
SuccessMaker, Science Fair Projects, and Family Math.  All sessions will
be taught by our very own teachers, making the information even more
meaningful to parents.  Additional information about each session will be
sent home soon along with a form to register for the sessions which
interest you.  Please be on the lookout for this information and plan to
attend!

GARDENING DAY
Our next gardening day will be held on SATURDAY, JANUARY 10, at 1:00 PM.
All interested parents are asked to join us.  Pitchforks, wheelbarrows,
and pickup trucks are needed.

MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR. HOLIDAY
We will be celebrating the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday on Monday,
January 19.  School will not be in session that day.  Two of our students
who exemplify on a daily basis what Dr. King taught regarding peace and
positive dreams will be representing Roberts at the Martin Luther King,
Jr. breakfast on Friday, January 16.  We are very proud of both of these
students!

BLOODMOBILE AT ROBERTS
We have scheduled a bloodmobile from Southeastern Community Blood Center
to be at Roberts Elementary on January 28 from 1:30-3:30 PM.  Due to a
severe shortage of blood in the Big Bend area, we encourage all interested
adults to participate.  Please call Dawn Newhall in the school office if
you are interested in donating blood.

PTO MEETING
This is a reminder that our next PTO meeting is scheduled for Tuesday,
January 20, at 6:00 PM in the Media Center.

SCHOOL CLIMATE SURVEYS
Our annual school climate surveys will be sent home to parents of
kindergarten, third, fourth and fifth grade students on January 23.  These
surveys are very important to our school as the results will be used by
our School Advisory Council when developing the 2004-2005 School
Improvement Plan.  We appreciate parents taking the time to complete the
survey and ask that all surveys be returned to the school no later than
February 6.

DATES TO REMEMBER
January 10  Gardening Day – 1:00 PM
January 14  Report Cards Go Home
January 15  Accreditation Visit by Southern Association of
    Colleges and Schools
January 20  PTO Meeting – Media Center – 6:00 PM
   Fairview IB Meeting for Fifth Grade Parents –
          Media Center – 7:00 PM
January 24  District Tropicana Speech Contest
January 28  Blood Drive – 1:30 – 3:00 PM
January 29  District Spelling Bee – Godby High School – 7:00 PM
February 4  Progress Alerts Go Home
February 10  FCAT Writing – 4th Grade
   Writes Upon Request – Grades 1, 2, 3, 5
February 17  Mini-Conference for Parents–Media Center–6:00 PM

IB MEETING FOR FIFTH GRADE PARENTS
Fairview Middle School will be presenting an IB workshop for all
interested parents of fifth grade students at Roberts Elementary on
Tuesday, January 20, at 7:00 PM in the Media Center.
YEARBOOK REMINDER
Yearbooks are still on sale.  The cost is $14.00 until January 31.  After
that time, the cost will be $16.00.  Fifth grade parents may purchase
message lines for their students until January 31.  Please call Dawn
Newhall in the office if you have any questions.

A SALUTE FROM ROBERTS

SCHOOL SPIRIT
Congratulations to MRS. DOXSEE’S CLASS who had 100% participation in our
School Spirit Day on Friday, January 9.  WAY TO GO!!  We also want to
congratulate the cafeteria and office staff for 100% participation.