ROBERTS-PARENTS Archives

Roberts Parents

ROBERTS-PARENTS@LISTSERV12.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
Teresa Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 26 Sep 2005 15:30:12 -0400
MRS. YOUNGBLOOD’S MESSAGE
It is hard to believe that we are approaching the end of September!  Please
mark your calendars for October 13 and plan to attend our Fall Festival.
It promises to be a fun-filled event for the entire family!
Progress alerts went home last week with children who are having academic
or behavior difficulties.  We appreciate parents taking time to conference
with teachers as they share their plans for helping each child reach
his/her fullest potential.  Your support at home is so appreciated!
The children have been doing a wonderful job of turning in their
citizenship assignments that are sent home each week.  We have had many
examples of students putting the citizenship skills into action through
acts of kindness.  Please continue to look for the activities that are sent
home each week and encourage your children to return them to school.

FALL FESTIVAL
Our annual Fall Festival will be held on Thursday, October 13, from 2:10 –
7:00 PM.  We encourage families to attend this fun event.  Many people have
been working very hard to get this event organized and underway.  Special
thanks go to Stacie King for coordinating the Fall Festival and to all the
homeroom parents for assisting in the events.  Please call Stacie King at
893-1530 if you are interested in helping with the Fall Festival.

FAMILY DAY – SEPTEMBER 26
Governor Bush has declared Monday, September 26, as Family Day – A Day to
Eat Dinner with Your Children.  This event is aimed at promoting the value
of family interaction as a means of preventing and reducing substance abuse
among young people.  Governor Bush is asking that all families have dinner
with their families on this night.  For more information on Family Day,
please visit the website at www.floridafamilyday.com.

INDIVIDUAL PICTURES
Individual student pictures will be taken on Wednesday, October 12.  An
order form will be sent home with your child prior to this date.  If you
would like to order pictures, please complete the order form and return it,
together with your payment, in the envelope provided.  ALL students’
pictures will be taken so that a picture will be available to place in the
yearbook and for school records.  Volunteers are needed to help with
Picture Day.  If you are interested in helping, please contact Carol Scott
at 488-0923 or Christy Sears at 894-3671.

MUSIC NOTES FROM MRS. HULL
Welcome to another exciting year from the music department.  We are off to
a great start.  Our third graders are beginning to learn how to play the
soprano recorder.  If you would like your child to have their own recorder,
most music stores carry them.  The book we will be using is called “It’s
Recorder Time” by Alfred d’Auberge and Morton Manus.  If you have any
questions, please call me at 488-0923.
Our first program will be held on November 10, and will be performed by our
kindergarten students in the Roberts cafeteria.  Our Winter Program will
feature first and fifth grade students on December 13 at Chiles High
School.  Please be sure to mark your calendars for these important dates.
More information will be forthcoming.

ART AROUND ROBERTS
We are off to a great start.  Kindergarten has been exploring types of
lines through drawing, painting and clay.  First grade has discovered how
artists use lines and duplicating that in their own work.  Second grade’s
exploration of lines includes their “ant playground”.  Third grade is using
a viewfinder to find lines in everyday objects in the art room.  Fourth
grade students have discussed the work of Frank Stella and how he used
lines to create a feeling of a city.  They are making gesture drawing with
loose lines, then making a Keith Haring project.  Fifth grade is now
beginning their puppet project.  Each student will be making a puppet,
writing a book in their classrooms, typing and editing, taking pictures
with a digital camera, downloading the images, and making it into a book
for their kindergarten book buddy.  If you would like to volunteer to help
with the fifth grade project, please feel free to come to the art room
between 8:10 and 8:55 AM.
The art department is in need of the following items:  iron, portable
sewing machine, dry cleaners plastic bags, ribbon, feathers, or any other
items that you want to give away.  Thank you for your support.

NEWS FROM MRS. COX AND COACH “G”
We are so fortunate to have your students as many as three times per week
this year for Physical Education.  Our third through fifth graders have
been working hard on the President’s Challenge Physical Fitness Test.  This
includes testing on pull-ups (for strength), sit-ups for one minute (for
abdominal strength and endurance), a shuttle run for agility, a sit and
reach test for flexibility of the hamstring muscle and an endurance run of
1/4, 1/2, or 1 mile.  We have begun testing and will continue for the next
week or so.  These students will be tested two more times throughout the
year to see improvements in their fitness levels.
Our kindergarten through second grade students have begun working on
throwing and catching skills with Coach “G” and Coach Woodard and
basketball skills with Mrs. Cox.
Thank you for your support in keeping our students healthy.

DATES TO REMEMBER

October 4  PTO – Media Center – 6:00 PM
October 12   Picture Day
October 13   Fall Festival – 2:10 – 7:00 PM
   End of First Nine Weeks
October 14  Teacher Planning Day (Students Out)
October 20  SAC – Media Center – 5:30 PM
October 26  Report Cards Go Home

PTO NEWS
Our fundraiser was a great success!  We exceeded the amount that we
projected we would make from the fundraiser. Thank you to everyone!

THANK YOU
We would like to say “thank you” to the following people who helped in the
cafeteria during our Grandparents Day luncheon, helped with the health
screenings, or furnished refreshments for the faculty meeting:  SANDY
ANDERSON, KELLY FOISY, KAREN HOY, LISA CONNER, VENITA DORSEY, TAMMY BARKVE,
JOYCE BRIENEN, SHARON GREENER, JENNY HELMS, CANDY JANES, MARCIA JASKULSKI,
SHERRY KAPLAN, TARA LOVERN, KIKI SIMPSON, PAM NOBLES, JACKIE WALKER, MARIE
BERRY, BOB BECKER, JULIE BUMGARNER, TOYCA WILLIAMS, MATTIE LELAND, KATHY
BARRETT, AMY ANDERSON, and LISA BATTS.

NUTRITION AND ACTIVITY TIPS
The Nutrition Tip for the week of September 19-23 is “Professional
Performance”.  Did you watch the Olympics?  You may not be a professional
athlete (yet), but you can eat like an “all star.”  Athletes know that they
need to make eating choices that help them perform at their best.  To help
you get the most out of your body, eat a wide variety of foods including
lean meats and low-fat dairy products and exercise every day.  The
Nutrition Tip for the week of September 26-30 is “Better Burgers”.  Did you
know leaving the cheese and mayo off of your burger could save 100
calories?  Better topping choices include lettuce, tomatoes, ketchup,
mustard, pickles, and onions.
The Physical Activity Tip for the week of September 19-23 is “Strength
Training”.  Unlike aerobic exercise that burns calories primarily during
the exercise session itself, strength training boosts your metabolism
throughout the entire day and night.  Muscle tissue actively burns
calories.  The greater your muscle mass, the more calories you burn.  The
Physical Activity Tip for the week of September 26-30 is “To lose body fat,
you have to burn off more calories than you consume”.  Exercise can help
contribute to the calorie deficit, but exercise is often overrated as a way
to reduce body fat.  Exercise is better used as a tool to help maintain
weight loss, because it helps relieve stress (which can reduce stress
eating), helps you feel good about yourself, boosts your metabolism, and
increases the desire to feed yourself healthfully.

A SALUTE FROM ROBERTS

GOOD CITIZENS
Our Citizenship Skill for the week of September 5-9 was “humility”.  We
want to say a very special “CONGRATULATIONS” to all students whose names
were drawn on September 9.  Our Citizenship Skill for the week of September
12-16 was “service”.  We want to say a very special “CONGRATULATIONS” to
all students whose names were drawn on September 2.