RICKARDS-PARENTS Archives

Rickards Parents

RICKARDS-PARENTS@LISTSERV12.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
Rickards High School <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 2009 23:09:48 -0500
Greetings Raiders!

We have completed another great week at James S. Rickards High School!
Report cards went home with each JSRHS scholar on Wednesday, January 14,
2009. As I reviewed each report card, I was pleased that most of our
scholars are well on track in regard to earning credits, increasing GPAs,
and qualifying for the many scholarships that are available. However,
there are a number of scholars who have attendance issues that have
adversely affected their academic progress. Please review your scholar’s
report card and call our Guidance Department at 488.1783. Thanks for your
continued support of our scholars and programs at James S. Rickards High
School. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can assist you in any
matter.

Yours in Excellence,

Dr. Michelle Gayle, Proud Principal

Monday, January 19, 2009 – Martin Luther King, Jr. Day – No School

Martin Luther King, Jr. Day – Raiders, use this to make a contribution to
your community via community service!

http://www.mlkday.gov/

“Everybody can be great because everybody can serve.”  – Martin Luther
King, Jr.

Modified Schedule for Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Every citizen’s understanding of how government works is essential to our
nation’s democracy. Through civic education, we ensure that the scholars
of James S. Rickards high School will be prepared with the knowledge and
the skills they will need to keep America’s democracy strong. In an effort
to promote the civic education of our scholars, we will modify our class
schedule for Tuesday, January 20, 2009 so that each scholar, staff and
faculty member can witness this important event.

Please review the schedule below and be prepared to follow it on Tuesday,
January 20, 2009:

Period  Time
1       8:00 – 8:50 AM
2       8:55 – 9:45 AM
3rd Period Reading Block        9:50 – 10:05 AM
3       10:05 – 10:55 AM
4       11:00 – 11:50 AM
5 – Everyone reports to their 5th period class first    11:55 AM – 12:45
PM
One Lunch Period Only   12:45 – 1:40 PM
6 (shortened period)    1:45 – 2:15 PM
7       2:20 – 3:10 PM
Symposium on Gifted Education
The annual Symposium on Gifted Education for Parents and Teachers will be
held Saturday, January 24 from 8:45 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.  at the Academic
Resource Center on Appleyard Drive.  This activity may be of interest not
only to parents of students already identified as gifted, but to other
parents whose students may be in the referral process or who are otherwise
interested in gifted children and in gifted education.
You may access more information about the Symposium (including a
registration form) at http://www.arc.leon.k12.fl.us/symp09.html.  If
possible, please register by January 19 to aid us in planning for
refreshments and handouts.  Please note that this is an activity for
adults; no childcare is provided or available.
If you have questions, please contact Susan Barnes at

Tallahassee Community College News
Tallahassee Community College will hold its annual Scholarship Fair on
Thursday, 1/22 from 5-7:30pm in the TCC Student Union Ballroom. The fair
will assist current and prospective students to learn more about the many
types of scholarships available at TCC and will give them an opportunity
to meet with scholarship administrators.
For information on applying for TCC Scholarships, please visit the TCC
website at:
http://www.tcc.fl.edu/about_tcc/administrative_services/financial_aid_schol
arship_office/scholarships

Important Florida Bright Futures Scholarship Reminders:
Our seniors may apply for Bright Futures and Florida financial aid
programs at http://www.floridastudentfinancialaid.org/

Best & Brightest Scholarship Information
Information concerning the Best and Brightest Scholarship program is
available in our Guidance Department or online at
www.bestandbrightest.org . The deadline to submit an application for
nomination to Mrs. Harriet Williams (in our Guidance Department) is on
January 29, 2009. Good luck, Raiders!