OES-PARENTS Archives

Oak Ridge Parents

OES-PARENTS@LISTSERV12.LEON.K12.FL.US

Sandra Hall <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 8 Dec 2005 09:18:51 -0500
Oak Ridge Elementary School www.oakridge.leon.k12.fl.us
The Eagle’s Eye
December 7, 2005   Volume  8                      Number 6

School Hours:    Office Hours  7:30 - 3:30  Student Hours  7:40-2:00
Administrative Staff:
Hodgetta A. Huckaby, Principal
Kimberly McFarland, Assistant Principal
4530 Shelfer Road, Tallahassee, Florida 32310
Telephone: (850) 488-3124  FAX: (850) 922-7145
Web Page: http://www.oakridge.leon.k12.fl.us
Listserv: http://listserv.leon.k12.fl.us/archives/oes-parents.html
Mascot: Eagle - Colors:  Royal Blue and White

December Positive Action Word of the Month:
Curious

CONGRATULATIONS
OAK RIDGE’S
2006

GLENN HOWELL
DISTINGUISHED MINORITY EDUCATOR OF THE YEAR
MRS. LEOLA WARE
 It has been quite a pleasure teaching for 26 years in such a
wonderful profession. This experience has been extremely rewarding
over the years. One of my mottos is, “Knowledge is Power.” As an
educator, I have been able to transfer such powerful knowledge of
learning to students of all cultural backgrounds in a variety of ways.
This learning has also been quite reciprocal in nature. I have been
very fortunate to learn from a strong community of family members,
educators, colleagues, parents, and students themselves. Teaching
is an honor!

AND
SCHOOL RELATED EMPLOYEE OF THE YEAR
MRS. LISSA STEVENS
This nomination has been such a blessing.  It is an honor to be
recognized by my peers for my 7 years of hard work and dedication to
this field and to Oak Ridge. My job is very important to me, and I hope
that I have as great an impact on the children as they have had on me.
My motto is: “If you like what you do, you’ll be good at it.”  I love what I
do and receiving this award reflects my motto.  Thank you,  Oak Ridge!

December Happenings
•  December 8:  W.I.N.G. S.
   Showcase and Winter Music Concert @ 6:00 PM

•  December 12 and 13:
    Special Area Good Citizenship Activities

•  December 12: SAC Meeting @ 6:00 PM

•  December 13:  School Board Meeting 6:00 PM/Howell Bldg

•  December 14, 15, 16:  Early Release Days
    Students dismissed at  11:30 AM  (No W.I.N.G.S.)
    PTO Holiday Fun Days -11:30 - 3:00 PM Prepayment
     Required

•  December 16:  End of 2nd Nine Weeks and 1st Semester

•  December 19- 30:  Winter Holidays

•  January 2:  Teacher Planning Day

•  January 3:  Students Return

Plan  Now ForThese Early Release Days:
December 14
December 15
December 16
Students will be dismissed at 11:30 AM!

Congratulations, Mr. Robshaw!
   We are pleased to announce that Mr. Robshaw is our newest
National Board  Certified Teacher!  Congratulations on your
accomplishment, Mr. Robshaw!
   Teaching is at the heart of education, so one of the most important
actions the nation can take to improve education is to strengthen the
teaching profession.  National Board Certification concentrates
education reform in the classroom—where teaching and learning take
place. National Board Certification is a demonstration of a teacher’s
practice as measured against high and rigorous standards. This
process requires intense self-reflection and analysis of one's own
practice.
   Other Oak Ridge Elementary National Board Certified Teachers are
Assistant Principal, Mrs. McFarland, and Teachers  Ms.  George,  and
Mrs. Feehrer.

Study: Lack of Sleep Hurts Learning

By Lauran Neergaard, The Associated Press
      Staying up an hour or two past bedtime makes it far harder for kids
to learn, say scientists who deprived youngsters of sleep and tested
whether their teachers could tell the difference. They could.   According
to a research study conducted on healthy children by Brown Medical
School… “If parents want their children to thrive academically, getting
them to sleep on time is as important as getting them to school on
time," said psychologist Gahan Fallone.
     During the study, teachers reported significantly more academic
problems when the children being studied were undergoing a period
of sleep deprivation.  The study, to be published in December in the
journal SLEEP, concluded that students who got eight hours of sleep
or less a night were more forgetful, had the most trouble learning new
lessons, and had the most problems paying attention. It raised the
question of whether sleep deprivation could prove to be a double
whammy for children with ADHD.
     According to the article the amount of recommended sleep per day
changes with age. Please read the table below.
                          Sufficient Sleep
            Newborns….......................up to 18 hours
            Infants (3 to 11 months)…14 to 15 hours
            Toddlers (12-35 months)…12 to 14 hours
            Ages 3 to 6………………..11 to 13 hours
            Ages 7 to 10………………10 to 11 hours
            Ages 11 to 17……………..8.5 to 9.25 hours
            Adults……………………..7 to 9 hours
After reading this, please check the number of hours your child is
actually sleeping.  Is it enough to prepare him/her for the school day?

Welcome Back, Judge Hawkins!
 Oak Ridge Volunteer, Judge Judi Hawkins was in the country of
Romania for the month of November.  We certainly missed her
Tuesday visits to our classroom but we are so proud of he
mission/evangelism work that she was blessed to do in Romania.
We are also thankful that she has arrived back home safely.  Judge
Hawkins brought back lots of pictures, beautiful pottery bowls for each
king and queen and a purse from Paris for Ms. Baskin.  We absolutely
loved our gifts (especially the Parisian purse!) .
  Judge Hawkins’ final POW WOW (Parent Workshop) will take place
on January 17, 2006 so mark your calendars.
 Welcome home, Judge Hawkins!
    Ms. Baskin and her Royal Court

National Children’s Book Week
     National Children’s Book Week and American Education Week,
celebrated November 14th-18th, was an outstanding success!  Many
of our business partners and community leaders donated their time to
visit classrooms and share books as part of the ‘Resident Reads’
Day.    Students  and their adult caregivers were encouraged to spend
some time with a book each day.
     The Scholastic Book Fair opened on November 14th and was open
through December 2nd.  This was an opportunity for students to see,
read and buy quality books, posters, software and games.   Many
students and teachers found great gifts for this upcoming holiday
season.
     Ms. Julianna Baggott, author of The Anybodies spoke to our fourth
and fifth grade students.  She shared how she began writing and how
important writing is to her life.  Julianna Baggott is the author of four
novels: national bestseller Girl Talk, The Miss America Family, The
Madam, and Which Brings Me To You: A Novel in Confessions as well
as two books of poems, This Country of Mothers and Lizzie Borden in
Love: Poems in Women's Voices. She also writes novels for younger
readers under the pen name N.E. Bode -- The Anybodies, The
Nobodies, and The Somebodies (forthcoming, September 2006). She
teaches at Florida State University in the Creative Writing Program and
Film School.
     Many thanks to Ms. Satchell for planning a wonderful and delightful
experience for our boys and girls.  A big thank you to our fifth grade
hostesses for escorting our visitors to the classes.

W.I.N.G.S. Showcase and Winter Music Concert
     On Thursday, December 8th at 6:00 pm, students participating in
the W.I.N.G.S. 21st Century Extended Day program will showcase their
talents during our semi-annual academic and enrichment W.I.N.G.S.
Showcase. The entire community is invited to attend as these
students demonstrate what they’ve learned in the enrichment areas of
Orchestra, Dance, and Keyboarding. Selected fourth and fifth graders
will sing a song in Spanish, and all academic areas will have student
work on display. Come out and see what Oak Ridge has to offer after
school!
     As an added treat, students in kindergarten through fifth grade will
perform in the Winter Music Concert on this same evening. They will
be demonstrating the music skills they have learned this semester,
and the program will be narrated by theatre students from the
W.I.N.GS. After School Program. We are expecting a wonderful
evening of entertainment, and we hope to see all of our families here
to support us. Dinner will be served on a first-come, first-served basis
beginning at 5:00 pm.
Ms. Wallace, WINGS Site Coordinator
Mrs. Meade, Music Teacher

Be sure to :
RECYCLE your used Printer cartridges and Cell Phones.

VOLUNTEER.   See Mrs. Hall about completing the application.

SAVE General Mills Box Tops and Campbell’s Soup Labels.

The Eagle Exchange

Parents/ Guardians/ Community Members,
  You are invited to ask questions or voice concerns in this section.
Write your question(s) or concern (s) below, cut away, send or deliver
to the office or your child’s teacher.  My response will be addressed in
the next newsletter.

Parent Signature (optional):___________________