OES-PARENTS Archives

Oak Ridge Parents

OES-PARENTS@LISTSERV12.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
Sandra Hall <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 27 Jan 2006 10:16:53 -0500
Oak Ridge Elementary School www.oakridge.leon.k12.fl.us
January 27, 2006   Volume  8                      Number 9

School Hours:    Office Hours  7:30 - 3:30  Student Hours  7:40-2:00
Administrative Staff:
Hodgetta A. Huckaby, Principal
Kimberly McFarland, Assistant Principal
4530 Shelfer Road, Tallahassee, Florida 32310
Telephone: (850) 488-3124  FAX: (850) 922-7145
Web Page: http://www.oakridge.leon.k12.fl.us
Listserv: http://listserv.leon.k12.fl.us/archives/oes-parents.html
Mascot: Eagle - Colors:  Royal Blue and White

Positiv e Action Word of the Month
January:  Goal Setting

  4 - H Tropicana Public Speaking
Contest
  Our 3rd, 4th, and 5th Grade students have been engaged in
preparing for the 4 - H Tropicana Public Speaking Contest.  Classes
held their competitions to find out who would represent them in the
school competition.  The winning students and titles of their speeches
are:
 •  Theotis  - “My Fishing Trip”
 •  Kenyonna  - “Silly Superstitions”
 •  Kelvin  - “Rapping in the Shower”
 • John  - “The Monster that Attacked Our       Village”
 • Shannon  - “My Favorite Sandwich”
 •  Clarence  - “My Annoying Little Sister”
 • Khristopher  - “Invisible Son”
 • Savannah  - “I Have a Dream”
 • Desiree  - “Babies Gone Bad”
 • Derian  - “Animal Cruelty in America”
 • Wanda  - “Double Trouble”
 The school competition was held  Wednesday, January 11th at 8:30
AM.  Our judges were: Pam Stephens, Kate Sullivan;  Brenda
McGalliard, Gilchrist; Marsha Glover, Teaching and Learning; Jo Ann
Robinson, Retired Elementary and Middle School Teacher; Abe
Hodges, Educational Learning Systems; and James McCaskill,
District Media Center.

 Our school winners were:
  3rd. Place - Derian
  2nd Place - Khristopher
  1st Place -  Desiree
Desiree  represented Oak Ridge during the District Contest held
Saturday, January 21st at the Christian Community School.
Congratulations to all of our speakers!

January/ February Happenings
•  Saturday, January 28th 11:39 A.M.- Moment of Silence for Challenger
• February 4: Daddy - Daughter Valentine Dance
• February 7 and 8:  FCAT Writing for 4th grade
•  February 8: Progress Alerts Go Home
•  February 10:  Larger that Life  Assemblies
•  February 16:  Business Partner Meeting at 9:00 AM
•  February 20:  President’s Day Holiday.  No School
•  February 27 - March 10
   FCAT Testing Grades 3,4,and 5
•  March 1:  Application deadline for School Choice Program

Introducing our AmeriCorps Members
 AmeriCorps is a network of local, state, and national service
programs that connects more than 70,000 Americans each year in
intensive service to meet our country’s critical needs in education,
public safety, health, and the environment.  We are very fortunate to
have eight of these volunteers working with us to mentor in our
kindergarten, first and second grade classes.  In addition, Ms. Kathy
Hood, AmeriCorps coordinator is a member of the Oak Ridge
Business Partners and is involved in our partner activities.
     My name is Ms. Sasha Coleman.  I work with Ms. Fisher’s second
grade class.  I am a Junior at FSU studying child development.  I am a
Licensed Practical Nurse.  I am a first year AmeriCorps member.  I
aspire to own my own Day Care, complete my teacher certification,
and upgrade my nursing status to a Registered Nurse.
     My name is Vanessa Dabbs and I work as a reading tutor for the
1st grade in Ms. Shaw’s classroom.  I have a Bachelor of Science
Degree in  Psychology from James Madison University in
Harrisonburg, Virginia.  I plan on attending Graduate School for School
Psychology at FSU.  So far this time “off” has introduced me more to
the population and environment of elementary school.  So far I love it!
     My name is Cheryl Dennis.  I’m the mother of 4 and grandmother of
5.  I began tutoring in high school; worked at a Montessori School for
10 years, and mentored in Jefferson county.  This is my second year in
AmeriCorps.  I will use my education stipend to complete my Master’s
degree in Learning Disabilities.
     My name is Brittny Sanders.  I’m a second year AmeriCorps reading
tutor in Ms. Curtin’s classroom. I received by AA Degree from
Lake-Sumter Community College.  I have a five year old son that
attends Apalachee Magnet School and will have a little girl that is due
March 6, 2006.
     My name is Nicole Tilford.  I work as a reading tutor in Ms. Powell’s
first grade class and Ms. Gewanter’s kindergarten class.  I have a
Bachelor’s Degree in Greek and Latin from Florida State University.  I
love working with children and hope to do so for many more years as
a professional within the education field.  Next year, I hope to return to
Florida State to pursue a Master’s degree in either Religion or
Education..
     My name is Alicia Love..  I live in Quincy, Florida and this is my first
year with AmeriCorps.  I have a 9 year old son and his name is Keiron
and he attends Stewart Street Elementary in Quincy.  I am currently a
student at TCC and my career goal is to pursue a job in the computer
animation field.
      My name is Roosevelt Woodley.  I’m from the U.S. Virgin Islands
(st. Thomas).  Currently, I am a Physical Education major, and I intend
on getting my Master’s Degree in Education as well.  I work part time
at the Walker Ford Community Center.  Also, I’m trying to get a
Network Services Technology degree at TCC.
     Rajinna Henley is a second year AmeriCorps member, tutoring
students in Ms. Baskins’s and Ms. Johnson’s 2nd grade classes.
She is from the U.S. Virgin Islands and came to Tallahassee three
years ago to study at TCC.  She plans to be a teacher when she gets
her degree.  She has two children, a son in kindergarten at Apalachee
and a daughter in pre-school.

March 1 Deadline for School Choice
     March 1st is the application deadline for School Choice.  The
School Choice Program provides options for students to attend a
school that best meets their specific needs and maximizes their
opportunity to learn.
     Options for the 2006-2007 school years have changed.  If you are
interested in knowing more about the Leon County School Choice
Program, call the School Choice Office (487-7546 or 414-5160) or visit
us on the web at: www.planning.leon.k12.fl.us

News from the Media Center:  Oak Ridge Eagles Junior Book Club
 One of the 2005 National Children’s Book Week activities at Oak
Ridge Elementary School was the starting of the Oak Ridge Eagles
Junior Book Club which began on November 16, 2005.  The club just
completed its first book, A Week in the Woods, by Andrew Clements, a
Sunshine State Award book..  A group of 5th Graders meet with Ms.
Satchell everyday in the media center during their lunchtime to read
and discuss an award-winning children’s book.  Below are the
thoughts of the first set of participants:
• A Week in the Woods reminds me of the television story, “Fairy Odd
Parent.”  Timmy the character in this story is very similar to Mark in A
Week in the Woods.  Mark’s parents are always away from home.  He
lives with a baby-sitter most of the time, just like Timmy.
Savannah
• When I read A Week in the Woods, I learned that it is not right to form
an opinion about someone until you really get to know that person.
Karima
• I love reading with my friends in the book club.  I also love the setting.
We meet everyday at the same time in the media center.  While we are
having lunch, we read and discuss the same book.
Victoria
• I find it easier to sit down and read and discuss with my classmates.
I have learned from reading The Week in the Woods that people
should not prejudge others.  They should first get to know them.
Kenyonna

Kindergartners Celebrate the 100th Day of School!
       Kindergartners in Mrs. Grace-Smith’s class celebrated the 100th
day of school on January 26, 2006!  They made a hat, counted 10
different food items 10 times to make their trail mix, and read a book
entitled 100th Day Worries.
 Mrs. Grade-Smith, Kindergarten Teacher

Moment of Silence for the Challenger Accident 20 Years Ago
      Challenger Learning Center asks the City of Tallahassee to pause
for a moment of silence 20 years after the Challenger accident -
January 28, 2006 at 11:39 A.M.
       The bells of First Baptist Church will toll at 11:39 A.M. 20 years
after the Challenger accident in Florida occurred on January 28, 1985.
NASA protocol will be followed at a Memorial Service on January 28,
2006 honoring the astronauts who gave their lives for this mission on
the Challenger Space Shuttle.  The Memorial Service will occur at the
Challenger Learning Center, January 28 at precisely 11:30 A.M.
Dignitaries, politicians and retired and active Military Officers will be
part of the invited guests to honor the Challenger crew.  Reggie
McNair, son of Ron McNair, one of the Challenger
astronauts, will be the honored guest speaker.  Mayor Marks,
Dr. Norm Thagard and Lance Cameron Horne will also be a part
 of the ceremony.  The FSU Air Force ROTC Color Guard will
present colors.  Taps will be played by a member of the FSU School
of Music and the National Anthem will be sung by one of the FSU
Faculty.  Finally, as part of the NASA protocol, A Missing Man Fly
Over will conclude the ceremony.  It will be a moving tribute to the
Challenger Crew - heroes of our nation.
       We are asking the City of Tallahassee and surrounding
communities to take a moment of silence in honor of the Challenger
accident and its impact on our society 20 years later.  The Challenger
Learning Centers were created as a result of the accident and in
tribute to the astronauts and their families.  The Challenger Learning
Center mission is to interest students in careers in science and math
by participating in simulated space experiences in the Challenger
Learning Center Space shuttle Simulator.  The 20th Anniversary
allows us to pause and pay tribute to the astronauts who gave their
lives and to remind the public of the purpose and mission of the
Challenger Learning Center.
      For more information, please contact Ida Thompson, 893-4886 or
556-1815.

FIRST ANNUAL DADDY – DAUGHTER VALENTINE’S DANCE
     The Tallahassee Northside Rotary Club is sponsoring a
multi-generational Daddy – Daughter Valentine’s Dance     at the Elks
Club located at 716 Magnolia Drive (Across from the Tallahassee
Democrat)  Saturday, February 4th from 7 to 9:00 PM.
     This is our First Annual Daddy – Daughter Valentine’s Dance and
will feature dancing, music, refreshments and a special gift photo
memento of the evening.
     Proceeds from this event will help to fund our Rotary Club’s
community service projects including the American Cancer Society
Relay for Life and those benefiting children.
     I thought you would like to know about the Daddy – Daughter
Valentine’s Dance and hope you will join us for this exciting event.
     A dance exhibition will be conducted by Kay Picart of Tallahassee
who placed second in both the Millennium Nationals and the U.S.
Worlds in the pro-am cabaret division in 2005.
      If you would like to purchase tickets or have any questions
Please call 562-4260 or 402-0289.
      Dress up in your party clothes, take that sweet girl out, and join us
at the Daddy – Daughter Valentine’s Dance!