OES-PARENTS Archives

Oak Ridge Parents

OES-PARENTS@LISTSERV12.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
Sandra Hall <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 14 Feb 2006 12:11:47 -0500
Oak Ridge Elementary School www.oakridge.leon.k12.fl.us
February 10, 2006   Volume  8                      Number 10

School Hours:    Office Hours  7:30 - 3:30  Student Hours  7:40-2:00
Administrative Staff:
Hodgetta A. Huckaby, Principal
Kimberly McFarland, Assistant Principal
4530 Shelfer Road, Tallahassee, Florida 32310
Telephone: (850) 488-3124  FAX: (850) 922-7145
Web Page: http://www.oakridge.leon.k12.fl.us
Listserv: http://listserv.leon.k12.fl.us/archives/oes-parents.html
Mascot: Eagle - Colors:  Royal Blue and White

Positiv e Action Word of the Month February  Success

Head Eagle Soars With “Magic”

      The Oak Ridge Eagles are extremely proud of our leader,
Mrs. Huckaby who is the recent recipient of the “Women Making Magic”
Award.  The awards are part of a national women’s health-care
movement appropriately named “Spirit of Women.”  About 70 women
were nominated by coworkers, friends or community members and
the awards encompassed six categories: small business,
government, education, health-care, community service and youth.
Our sterling leader was awarded the “Women Making Magic” in
Education Award.
      A surprised and tearful, Mrs. Huckaby accepted this auspicious
award with the following remarks,  “This is very humbling and I thank
this wonderful organization for selecting me.”
      We are thrilled that the community finally knows what we have
known all along...Mrs. Huckaby’s lofty flight is truly ‘magical.”

February/ March Happenings
•  February 9: Progress Alerts Go Home
•  February 10:  All Avon Fundraiser orders due (Orders are prepaid)
•  February 13:  SAC Meeting 6:00 PM
• February 16:  Business Partner  Meeting at 9:00 AM
• February 16:  General PTO Meeting 6:00 PM in Media Center
•  February 20:  President’s Day  Holiday.  NO SCHOOL!
•  February 23:  Jump Rope for Heart Fundraiser
•  February 24:  FCAT Rally
•  February 27 - March 10 FCAT Testing Grades 3,4,and 5
•  March 1:  Application deadline for School Choice Program
•  March 15 & 16:  Special Area Fun Days
•  March 20 - 24: Spring Break

February 20, 2006 is President’s Day!  There is NO SCHOOL!
The third Monday in February is a day for honoring both Washington
and Lincoln, as well as all the other men who have served as
President of the United States.

Parents:  A Family Guide for  Healthy Living
              It's true — kids need breakfast to jumpstart their day!
Breakfast keeps kids on target for meeting their nutrient needs and for
being ready to learn.
              Research shows:
• A nutritious breakfast from the Five Food Groups provides children
with  about one-fourth of their daily nutrient requirements. Kids who
eat breakfast are more likely to meet these needs.
• Breakfast skippers are less likely to make up for nutrients they miss
at  breakfast later in the day.
• When children eat breakfast, it's easier for them to concentrate on
learning, think clearly and be on their best behavior.
               Four strategies for making breakfast a habit in your house:
1. Be a role model!  If you want your child to eat breakfast, eat it
yourself!
2. Keep breakfast foods on hand.  Have at least two easy-to-serve
items from each food group. For more information check out our
Breakfast in a Hurry Chart on the web page:
www.nutritionexplorations.com
3. Make it easy.  Keep breakfast foods highly visible and in convenient
spots for kids to grab.
4. Try school breakfast.  Encourage kids to eat school breakfast if they
don't get a chance to eat at home.
             Moms Move at Super Speed - A nationwide "Hectic Breakfast
Survey" found that mothers are superheroes every morning! According
to the survey, moms average a staggering 6.3 different tasks within an
average breakfast period of 9.3 minutes. In addition to making
breakfast::
* 75 percent of moms help with backpacks and school books
* 62 percent help with hair brushing
* 48 percent help with packing lunches
Even on the busiest days, stress the importance of breakfast so that
children establish the habit of powering up in the morning.
                               Breakfast=Achievement
              A healthy breakfast is an essential part of being prepared to
learn. Yet, today's fast-paced lifestyle sometimes prevents children
from sitting down to a balanced breakfast before heading off to school.
If that's the case in your house, give school breakfast a try!   School
breakfast provides a nutritious morning meal that meets one-fourth of
children's daily needs for calories and key nutrients, including
calcium.
             It a also receive high grades for helping children be more alert,
focused and ready to tackle the day. Studies consistently show that
school breakfast:
• Helps students score higher on tests and improves grades
• Makes it easier for students to pay attention in class
• Decreases disruptive behavior and visits to the nurse
• Decreases tardiness and absenteeism.
             Nutrition Explorations is a web site
http://www.nutritionexplorations.com/parents/breakfast-first.asp
 maintained by the National Dairy Council with sound parent
strategies, breakfast food ideas, and quick and easy recipes for our
busy families.   Please feel free to share with parents and teachers as
an additional resource for improving student academic achievement.

PTO NOTES:
•  The General PTO Meeting will be held on February 16, 2006 starting
at 6:00 PM in the media center.  Please come!
 •  All Avon Fund-raiser orders must be in by February 10.  This is the
last time to submit an order.  Remember, all Avon orders are prepaid.
 •  All Avon Orders submitted on or before February 2 need to be
picked up after 2:00 on February 10th or anytime on February 13th.

Partners - Volunteers - Mentors mean the WORLD to us!
Valuable is the work you do.
Outstanding is how you always come through.
Loyal, sincere and full of good cheer,
Untiring in your efforts through the year...
Notable are the contributions you make.
Trustworthy in every project you take..
Eager to reach your every goal.
Effective in the way you fulfill your role.
Ready with a smile like a shining star,
Special and wonderful-- - that’s what you are.
              Author unknown.
Thank you, Volunteer, for your time, dedication, and helpfulness!
You make this worlda better place!

 Booker T. Washington once said. “ If you want to lift yourself up, lift up
someone else.”
If you would like to volunteer, please contact Sandra Hall, Volunteer
Coordinator.  (PH:488-3124)

March 1 Deadline for School Choice
              March 1st is the application deadlline for School Choice.  The
School Choice Program provides options for students to attend a
school that best meets their specidfic needs and maximizes their
opportunity to learn.
              Options for the 2006-2007 school yeaser have changed.  If you
are interested in knowing more about the Leon County School Choice
Program, call the School Choice Office (487-7546 or 414-5160) or visit
us on the web at: www.planning.leon.k12.fl.us

Introducing our new Faculty and Staff...
Mrs. Gardner,  Speech Therapist
Mrs.  Walker, Speech Therapist
Mrs. Wright, Resource Teacher
Ms. Ivery, Paraprofessional, Ms. George’s Class
Welcome to Oak Ridge!  Soar, Eagles, Soar!

                              RECOMMENDED READING LIST
TALLAHASSEE — Education Commissioner John L. Winn today
announced the Just Read, Florida! recommended this reading list in
celebration of Florida's Black History Month. During Black History
Month, Just Read, Florida! will highlight African-American literature.
 This announcement is part of Governor Bush’s longtime theme
"Remembering the Past, Celebrating the Future" February celebration
honoring Black History Month.

"Reading is our link to one another and the rest of the world,” said
Education Commissioner John L. Winn.  “By reading a selection from
this list, we begin to appreciate and understand the impact African
Americans have made on our society.  Children and adults alike will
be enriched by spending time enjoying these books.”

“This month long celebration is a valuable opportunity for all Floridians
to become further educated on the state’s rich African-American
history and culture,” said Florida Secretary of State Sue M. Cobb.  “I
encourage all Floridians to contact their local public libraries and
participate in one of the many programs being held statewide”
The reading list contains appropriate selections for all ages,
kindergarten through adult and also includes resources for K-12
teachers to educate students about the strides made by African
Americans through history.

 The 2006 Just Read, Florida! recommended reading list for Black
History Month:
                       Picture Books (Grades K–3)
•  Amazing Grace, Mary Hoffman
·  Prince, The Future King: A Father’s Example, Kandi Harris
·  Coming On Home Soon, Jacqueline Woodson and E.B. Lewis
·  Dinner at Aunt Connie’s House, Faith Ringgold
·  Everett Anderson's Friend, Lucille Clifton
·  Mufaro's Beautiful Daughters: An African Tale, John Steptoe
·  A Picture Book of Rosa Parks, David A. Adler and Robert Castilla
·  Amadeus-The Leghorn Rooster, Jonathan Green
·  Langston’s Train Ride, Robert Burleigh
·  Cracking the Wall: The Struggles of the Little Rock Nine, Eileen
Lucas
·  By My Brother’s Side, Tiki Barber, Ronde Barber, Robert Burleigh
and Barry Root
·  Beautiful Blackbird, Ashley Bryan
                           Chapter Books (Grades 4–5)
· My Name Is America: The Journal of Biddy Owen, Walter Dean Myers
· Black Diamond, Patricia and Fred McKissack
· Just Like Martin, Ossie Davis
· Ellington Was Not a Street, Notzake Shange
· Teammates, Peter Golenbrock
· Bud, Not Buddy, Christopher Paul Curtis
· Through My Eyes, Ruby Bridges and Margo Lundell
· Vision of Beauty: The Story of Sarah Breedlove Walker, Kathryn Lasky
and Nneka Bennett
· Carter G. Woodson: The Man Who
Put "Black" in American History,
James Haskins and Melanie Reim
·The Black Cowboys, Gina De Angelis
·The Friendship,   Mildred Taylor

                           Fourth Graders are Awesome Authors!
         Fourth graders have been honing their writing skills, and
February 7th they were relaxed and ready!  FCAT Writing and Writing
Plus testing went smoothly because our Oak Ridge students have
ability and talent.  Fourth graders can tell you the difference between a
simile and a metaphor. They can write using such techniques as
onomatopoeia, sensory words, strong verbs, and anecdotes.  Their
abilities were apparent from the confidence they exhibited when
writing their narrative and expository essays for FCAT.
          Next will come FCAT Reading and Math. And we know, with the
help of our parents, our students will succeed at this as well. To help
our children be prepared we can turn the televisions and video games
off.  Help them to succeed by seeing that our children are reading a
chapter book every day for an hour. Regular exercise, healthy eating,
and getting enough sleep are also essential to learning and success.
           Good Luck fourth graders and all Oak Ridge students!

           I am Ms. Melissa D. Devoe, a student teacher from Florida A&M
University, and I am interning with Mrs. Tonya Gennie in physical
education from January 9, 2006 until February 24, 2006.  I am pleased
to be working with your child in his/her physical education class at Oak
Ridge Elementary School. While at Oak Ridge, I expect to enjoy the
teaching and learning process with your child while he/she learns
through movement in physical education.  If you have any questions or
concerns, please contact myself or Ms. Gennie at 850-488-3124.