OES-PARENTS Archives

Oak Ridge Parents

OES-PARENTS@LISTSERV12.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
Sandra Hall <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
[log in to unmask][log in to unmask], 25 Jan 2011 11:20:56 -0500442_us-ascii Please save the date for the Parental Involvement Workshop noted in the attachment below:

Jennifer Y. Anderson
Title I -Parent Involvement/Community Resource Centers
3955 West Pensacola Street
Tallahassee, Florida 32304
"Exert yourself vigorously and apply yourself
repetively toward attaining your goals until you do."
850.487.7813
[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>45_25Jan201111:20:[log in to unmask]
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 2004 09:10:29 -0500
Oak Ridge Elementary School www.oakridge.leon.k12.fl.us
The Eagle’s Eye
February 5, 2004      Volume  6                      Number 11
School Hours:    Office Hours  7:30 - 3:30  Student Hours  7:40-2:00

Administrative Staff:
Hodgetta A. Huckaby, Principal              Kimberly McFarland, Assistant Principal
4530 Shelfer Road, Tallahassee, Florida 32310
Telephone: (850) 488-3124  FAX: (850) 922-7145
Listserv: http:/listserv.leon.k12.fl.us/archives/oes-parents.html
Mascot: Eagle  Colors:  Royal Blue and White

Dear Parents and Guardians:

We are always proud to share the accomplishments of our students.  Saturday,
January 24th, Amanda Grimsley, a fifth grader in Mrs. Atkins’ class mesmerized and
captivated the audience when she presented her speech during the annual Leon
County Tropicana Speech Contest.  Amanda Grimsley received first place honors for
convincingly sharing her well-organized thoughts and experiences expressed in her
speech entitled “A World Without Boys.”  Thank you, Amanda, for letting the rest of
Tallahassee know that Oak Ridge’s students can excel academically.  You are #1
Amanda!

Winning a contest or receiving honors requires TEAMwork.  Commendations are
extended to the members of this awesome winning TEAM.  I would like to first
recognize Amanda’s parents, Erica and Nathaniel Grimsley, for instilling in her great
positive character traits and communicating the importance of demonstrating
excellence in everything she does.  Bravo!  To Mrs. Atkins and her class for their
unselfish support and encouragement and to her coach, Mr. Tesssel, for
volunteering to work very closely with Amanda as she prepared to soar like an
eagle!  We appreciate all your hard work!

The massive roving trophy Amanda received will be displayed in our main office
until January, 2005 for viewing.  Please stop by and join us as we daily celebrate
this noteworthy accomplishment.

As we continue our preparations for the upcoming FCAT assessments, I would like
to highly encourage you to take advantage of the great opportunities we are
providing for our 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade students to sharpen their reading, writing,
and mathematics skills during Saturday School.  The remaining dates are February
7th, 14th, 21st, and 28th from 8:30 - 11:30 a.m.  Remember, each student who
attends 5 out of the 7 Saturday Sessions scheduled will receive a cash bonus of
$10.00.

Respectfully,
Hodgetta Huckaby

School Choice
Leon County Schools offer a diversity of educational opportunities to students.  With
a variety of programs in place, parents can seek the best place for their children to
learn.

The deadline to apply for changing schools is March 1, 2004!

If you are interested in knowing more abut the Leon County School Choice Program,
call the Leon County Schools Reassignment Office at 487-7546 or 414-5160.  You
may also visit us on the web at www.planning.leon.k12.fl.us.

Town Meeting
Thursday, February 5th at City Hall
Please join Mr. Montford for a very important discussion on CHILDHOOD OBESITY
at 6:30 p.m.  We want OAK RIDGE ELEMENTARY  represented well!  Let’s all show
our support and concern for this extremely vital topic.

[]Come to the Town Meeting 2/5/04
[]Visit the Late Night Library on Thursday evenings
[] Turn in the General Mills Boxtops, ink cartridges
[]help prepare your child for the FCAT
[]Sign up for the Listserv
 http://listserv.leon.k12.fl.us/archives/oes-parents.html
[]Review your child’s Progress Alert 2/4/04
[]Come out on Parent nIght 2/10/04;
[]Participate in the the P.U.L.S.E. workshops

Parent FCAT Workshop
A BIG pat on the back go to the parents and guardians who attended the FCAT
Workshop Tuesday evening.  Many families joined us for a free pizza dinner.   There
were two 45-minute Curriculum Sessions offered on FCAT Writing presented by Ms.
Marsha Glover, FCAT Math presented by Mrs.  Susan Fernandez                          and
Shared Reading presented by Ms. Kimberly Crawford and Lelia Evans, Doctoral
students from Florida State University.
 We really appreciate ALL the parents who took the time to attend these important
sessions.

P.U.L.S.E.  (Parent Using Language and Literacy for School Enrichment)
 P.U.L.S.E. will be a series of workshops for families of Preschool/School Readiness
and    Kindergarten students.  We will:
 - learn about ways to build our children's vocabulary & concepts.
 - learn about effective strategies that will strengthen our child's pre-reading skills.
 - have opportunities to meet and talk with other parents.
 - HAVE FUN!
Dates:  2/24, 3/30, 4/27, 5/18
2 locations and times - choose one that's convenient for you:
1. 10:00am - 11:30am:  at Neighborhood Network Center across from Oak Ridge
2. 6:15pm - 7:45pm in Oak Ridge Media Center
Refreshments and Child Care Provided.

Snow Day
 Oak Ridge Elementary Students enjoyed a “Snow Day” on January 29, 2004, the
reportedly coldest   day of the year so far.  Snow machines, furnished by Production
Support Group and operated by Marc Wiggins, blew “snow” on the children as they
laughed and played under the blast.  The students especially enjoyed seeing the
“wintery mix” on their friends’ hair and jackets.
 Thank you Production Support Group and Mr. Marc, the snowman.

Come to the LATE NIGHT LIBRARY!
The LATE NIGHT LIBRARY is offering to our students, parents/ guardians, and
community members these services as part of the standard usage of the media
center:
 • Regular media activities: Checking out books, Location of materials
 • Homework Help
 • Computer usage with Internet Research and Word Processing
 • Parent Resources in the Parent Center
THE 1ST Late Night Cafe will occur on February 19, 2004.  Further
details to be announced.
 Come in and CHECK IT OUT

Positive Action
Words of the Week
February 2nd: Friendship
February 9th: Respect
February 16th: Empathy
“Telling Yourself the Truth Using Emotional Positive Actions” explores self-honesty
the important ability to tell yourself the truth.  As we end this unit, please continue to
help your child to understand that other positive behaviors are possible only when
people learn to be honest with themselves.  Self-honesty is important because it
helps children to learn to see themselves as they really are.  Self-honesty is also
difficult because it develops with practice.  In addition, it is important for students to
practice telling themselves the truth by not making excuses, by not blaming others,
by admitting mistakes, by knowing themselves, and by keeping their word.

Oak Ridge Eagle Soars!!!
 Amanda Grimsley won first place in the fourth and fifth grade category at the 4-H/
Tropicana Leon County 2004 Public Speaking Contest held at Epiphany Lutheran
Church  on Saturday, January 25, 2004.
 She told her audience she wanted ‘A World Without Boys”  In her speech she said
all girls want is “peace,  quiet....and to go shopping.”  She complained of her two
brothers aged 6 and 13.  She reversed their  favorite saying, “Actually it’s ‘girls rule
and boys drool’.   However, she ended her talk by pretending to spot a cute boy in
the audience.  “...I guess they’re not all that bad,” she said smiling.
 Amanda will next compete at a districtwide competition May 13 at the local
Agricultural Center on Paul Russell Road. She will be competing against students
from Gadsden, Jefferson, Liberty,  and Taylor counties.
 Elaine Shook, contest coordinator for the 4-H Club said of public speaking,  “ It’s a
life skill they’ll always use, in school, interviewing for a job, even when they have
their own children and go to a PTA meeting.
KEEP SOARING, AMANDA!  We are SO-O-O Proud of You!

FCAT Preparation Tips for Parents

4th Grade FCAT Write’s Test: Tuesday, February 10th 3rd, 4th, 5th Grade FCAT
Testing March 1st - 12th

Thank you for supporting your student in preparing for the FCAT which will be
administered in February and March. The following suggestions cover ways in which
you may continue to support your student during the actual days of testing:
* Please have your child at school on time everyday of testing.  Do not make any
appointments during test times.
* Rearrange after-school and evening activities on the days before each section of
the test if possible.
* Ensure that your student gets a good night's sleep before the test.
* Make sure your student has a nutritious breakfast on test days.
* Send a light snack for your student if he/she needs something to eat on the longer
testing days to maintain energy .
* Discuss with your student any test review materials which might be sent home.
* Realize that your student may seem more tired than usual after each day of testing.
* Elementary students always benefit from being read to nightly, as well as having
an opportunity to read to an adult.
* Express your support and confidence in your student to do well on FCAT.
* Help your student understand that testing is a part of the instructional process, and
is nothing to be feared.
* Bring your child to Saturday School  - Every Saturday until testing from 8:30 -
11:30.

School Volunteers and Partners Add that Special Touch!
  V   Volunteers really do brighten our day,
  A Actively working to make our school say,
  L Lending a hand can be lots of fun,
  E Every chore can be finished and done!
  N No job is too big; no job is too small
  T Time’s not even a factor at all
  I Interest is the key to making it work;
  N No one can say their duties they shirk.
  E Enthusiastically, they meet every need that we face!
  S School volunteers can never be replaced.
 Happy Valentine’s Day   We LOVE You!   You are the MOST!

Coming Attraction!
Dear Parents/ Guardians,
Mark your calendars for the “P.A.S.S. (Partnerships To Advance
Student Success) The Power!’ Extravaganza.  This event will take place in the
Oak Ridge Auditorium on Thursday, February 19, 2004 from 6:00 - 8:00.
Please be here to learn about the wonderful ways that our P.A.S.S. alliance
 with Mainline Global Systems will benefit our students, parents/ guardians,
faculty and staff.  You will also enjoy melodious MUSIC and delicious FOOD.  We
hope to see all of you here.
Don’t Let This Event “P.A.S.S.”  You By!