OES-PARENTS Archives

Oak Ridge Parents

OES-PARENTS@LISTSERV12.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
Sandra Hall <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 7 Nov 2003 11:30:28 -0500
Oak Ridge Elementary School
The Eagle’s Eye
November 7, 2003      Volume  6                      Number 6
Hodgetta A. Huckaby, Principal              Kimberly McFarland, Assistant Principal

Dear Parents and Guardians,

It is our mission to improve academic achievement for ALL Oak Ridge students.
To realize this achievable goal, we have been so fortunate to be the recipients of
two funding sources that will support us in our quest.  The 21st Century Learning
Community After School Grant and the PASS Program, Partnership to Advance
School Success.

On Monday, November 3rd, fifth-one of our 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade students
began participating in the W.I.N.G.S. “Where Individuals Nurture Greater
Success Program”, which is coordinated by Maria Hightower, Mattinanah Foggy,
and Marty Lamar.

During these three-hour after school sessions, 2:00 - 5:00 p.m., students engage in
strategically planned lessons and activities aimed to strengthen their skills in
reading, mathematics, writing, science, and technology.  They additionally
participate in enrichment sessions to expand their experiences in the arts and
receive physical fitness and the importance of making healthy choices instruction.

Other components of this exciting program include LATE NIGHT LIBRARY,
SATURDAY MATHEMATICS ACADEMY, AND FAMILY LITERACY SESSIONS
sponsored by the Communications Dept. from F.S.U.

If you would like more information, please call me.
Respectfully,  Hodgetta A. Huckaby

Veteran’s Day is November 11th
               No school
On the 11th month, the 11th day, at the 11th hour take a moment to stop for two
minutes and remember those who served.

Introducing...
    Mrs. Brenda Fisher
 I am a prior employee of Oak Ridge (1997) and parent volunteer.  I have worked
with elementary students as a Reading Resource Teacher and with high school
students teaching Careers and Reading. I enjoyed job placement of  students in the
community.  I am the mother of a  4th grader at Oak Ridge and 11th grader.  I enjoy
reading and volunteering in the
community.  I am very excited about returning to Oak Ridge.

   Things to do...
[] Watch for the Wednesday folders and review them with your child.  If you have
questions or concerns about your child’s progress, make an appointment for a
conference with your child’s teacher.
[] Fridays are Spirit Days.  Wear your Oak Ridge T-Shirts
[] November 11: Veteran’s Day - No School
[] Support the Candy Sale
[] November 20:  Oak Ridge Business Partners Meeting @ noon
[] Save and Turn in the General Mills/Betty Crocker Boxtops

Introducing...
    Ms. Laura Ashley Drew
 I was born in Tampa and lived there for 9 years before moving to Tallahassee.  I
graduated from Leon High School in 1997 where I was a member of the crew team.
I then attended  Auburn University in Alabama.  At Auburn I majored in physical
education and did my student teaching in Brisbane, Australia.  This past year, I lived
in Branson, MO and attended the Kanakuk Institute, a Biblical leadership and
ministry training program.  I have worked the past four summers at Kanakuk Kamps/
Kids Across America, a Christian Sports Camp in Branson.  I love being outside, I
love kids, and I love to play sports.  I really like to run, and a year ago this November,
I ran my first marathon. My family is very important to me and I love them all dearly.  I
am engaged to be married  December 28th, and I am looking forward to having a
family of my own.  I am excited to be a part of the Oak Ridge family and look forward
to getting to know everyone better.

Positive Action Words of the Weeks
                November 3rd:  CREATIVE  November 10th:  CURIOUS
How Can I Reinforce Positive Action Concepts at Home?
Your child will be learning Positive Action in six units.          Each activity should be
adjusted to fit the age of your child.  All        will work at any age, but the depth and
quality of          understanding changes as your child grows older.  This list is         just
a beginning.  There are many other ways you can help         your child gain a sense
of who she or he is.  On the other         hand, you should not feel that to be a good
parent you must         do all these things.
 As we end Unit 2, “Physical and Intellectual Positive Actions for a Healthy Self-
Concept,” have your child to share with you some of the lessons that  were learned
in this unit.  Reinforce your child’s learning by reminding them that Physical and
Intellectual Positive Actions mean taking care of their bodies and developing
intellectual skills.  Listed below are some possible activities that can be used as a
reinforcement as well.
 1.  Set a good example in your physical and intellectual positive actions; expect
your children to follow closely in your positive footsteps.
 2.  Now may be a good time to learn more about nutrition.  New discoveries are
made every day.  Try to see that the food served in your home represents a
balanced, healthy diet, and keep junk food to the minimum.  Explain the different
foods in a meal and what vitamins they contain.
 3.  Discuss issues of the day. Give your child a sense of the complexity of some
issues.  Include the entire family, and demonstrate that talking about ideas is normal,
interesting and worthwhile.
 4.  Guide your child’s decision making.  Be creative.  Make up a problem.  Explain
all the sides of the situation.  Then, let your child try to sort out all the issues and
come up with a decision.
       J. Paul, Positive Action Coordinator

Oak Ridge Eagle Yearbook
 Parents, the ads for the yearbook are now on sale.  If you have a student in 5th
grade or you own a business and would like to place an ad in our book, please
contact Mrs. Joseph or Mrs. Cohens at 488-3124.  The deadline is December 15th
for all ads.
 If you would like to purchase a yearbook for your child, the price is $15.00 and they
are on sale NOW.  Books must be purchased in advance.  All students may
purchase a book.  There will be a limited number of books printed.  We are selling
on a first come, first served basis.  Also, the patron’s list for our book is open to all
families.  The price is $5.00.  We are collecting now.  Please contact us ASAP.
      Thank you,
      Yearbook Committee

Red Ribbon Week Activities
Oak Ridge Students were treated with  special guests last week as part of our
program for Red Ribbon Week .   Athletes from FSU were here to speak to fourth
graders about how drugs can affect your performance on and off the field.  Mr. Carter
Hickman, a Crime Intelligence Analyst, spoke to fifth graders about Gangs and
Drugs.

lubs Enhance Academics
       Third, fourth , and fifth grade students  participate each  Friday during the last
period of the  day in one of more than a dozen clubs.
       “We’re trying to bring the world to them,” said  music teacher Marty Lamar.  “It’s a
way to expose them to things out there.  The clubs will spark their interests in careers
as well as the electives that they will one day choose in middle and high schools.”
       The different clubs include Organized Sports,  Board Games and Computer
Games, Students On- Line Technology, Helpers, Eagle Book Club, Eagle  Chess
Club, Show Choir, Science and Gardening,  Home Economics, Zoology, Jigsaw
Puzzles,  Art Show, Yearbook, and Dance/Drill Club.  Some of our students also are
members of the Safety Patrol and the Student Council.
        Our clubs were featured in the Tallahassee Democrat on Monday.  Many thanks
to Verona Satchell for having the Tallahassee Democrat come out and take pictures.

Lambda Alpha Epsilon & Friends Presents
“Kids Day at the Park”
When:  November 8, 2003
    11:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Sign Up: Wednesday and Thursday
 @ Walker-Ford Community Center
Flag Football!  Dodgeball!  Basketball!  Softball!  Arts & Crafts
Refreshments will be Served

Walk-a-Thon for Technology
Why:  To purchase computer software, supplies
When:  November 21st during special area times.
•  Donation forms will go home next week’s Wednesday folder
•  Student goal: $3.00 or more per student
       (Do not let your child go door-to-door)
•  The 3 classes with the highest donations will receive a pizza, popsicle or a
blowpop party.
•  Donations will be collected from Nov. 21-Dec.5