LINCOLN-CHORUS Archives

Lincoln Chorus

LINCOLN-CHORUS@LISTSERV.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
"Mr. Leaman" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mr. Leaman
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 2014 11:33:43 -0400
Yesterday I announced that our spring musical will be the
production "Avenue Q - School Edition".  As we get closer to auditions this
November for our show that will run March 12-14, I wanted to send a quick e-
mail with information about the show.

Avenue Q opened in 2003 and ended up becoming one of the few musicals to
win the Tony Triple Crown (best book, best score, best musical).  To show
how important the show is, one of the musicals that it beat was "Wicked".
Avenue Q was written by Robert Lopez, the same composer that wrote all of
the music for the Disney film "Frozen".

This is not "Frozen"....

For those that are familiar with Ave. Q, you probably think I have lost my
mind. If you listen to the original cast recording you will find many songs
that are highly inapprpriate and could never be performed on a high school
stage.  Music Theatre International, the company that holds the rights to
the show, has developed a version that can be performed at a school, which
is why you will always see "School Edition" attached to our version.  Two
songs have been eliminated, one song has been changed and the script has
been cleaned up.  In essence, the show has gone from Rated R to PG-13.  The
show still has an edge to it but I think that it is a wonderful musical
that has some great messages in it.  If you have any questions regarding
the show I would be happy to talk with you about any specific changes that
have been made.  My office number is 850-284-8796, feel free to call and
leave me a message with your number and I will call you back when I have an
opportunity.  Dr. Burch and I have talked at length about this show and
done our homework and I think it will be a great experience for those
students that are involved.

Have a great day.

Peace,

Leaman