HRES-PARENTS Archives

Hawks Rise Elementary School

HRES-PARENTS@LISTSERV12.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
Vera Darby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 28 Sep 2001 14:42:47 -0400
Vision and Hearing screening will be held on Tuesday, October 2nd, for all
kindergarten and first grade students.  Students who are new to Florida
public schools, or have been referred by their teacher, will also be tested.
By way of information, the vision test only screens for distance vision, so
if you have concerns about your child's near vision, you may want to schedule
a visit to your private physician.

The current Accelerated Reader (AR) period ends on Monday, October 1st.  The
Computer Lab will open at 8:15 a.m. the last three days of each AR period for
students who need to take tests.  The new period will start on Tuesday,
October 2nd.  There will be a Reading Rally on Thursday, October 4th, for all
students who have met their goals during this past AR session.

The School Advisory Council will meet on Tuesday, October 2nd, at 6:00 p.m.
in the Media Center.  The PTO will also meet on Tuesday, October 2nd, at 7:15
p.m., in the Cafeteria.  The "hot topic" for October is "What Sunshine Math
Is All About."  One of our 2nd grade teachers, Mrs. Joan Rhodes, will be
presenting a brief overview of this math program, and giving those who attend
some information they can use at home to help their children solve some of
these challenging problems.  Before joining our Hawks Rise faculty, Mrs.
Rhodes was a district math coach, and worked with teachers in all the
elementary schools in Leon County.  We are very fortunate to have her on our
staff.

The Science Fair will be held on Monday, October 15, and Tuesday, October 16.
Set up for projects will be on Sunday, October 14, from 3:30 - 5:00pm.
Projects will be arranged by grade level in the Cafeteria.  Parents are
invited to a reception to view the projects from 4:00 - 6:00 p.m. on Monday
afternoon.