HRES-PARENTS Archives

Hawks Rise Elementary School

HRES-PARENTS@LISTSERV12.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
Vera Darby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 15:28:00 -0400
The entire Hawks Rise family was filled with delight in May when we learned
that our school had been selected for the prestigious National Blue Ribbon
Schools award.  This is the highest honor a school can receive from the U.S.
Department of Education.

On Wednesday and Thursday, October 24 - 25, Mrs. Brinson, Mrs. Croushorn, and
our PTO President, Carol Edwards, will be in Washington, D.C. for the awards
ceremony.  The PTO is planning a celebration after they return for the
children so they can share in the excitement.  It will be held on Friday
morning, November 30, at 9:15.  You will be hearing more about this later.

Since 1982 the Blue Ribbon Schools Program has celebrated many of America's
most successful schools.  Some of our families have requested more
information about the Blue Ribbon Schools award.  We hope the following will
be helpful.

This national recognition goes to schools that share several characteristics,
including:

 a clear vision and shared sense of mission
 a challenging, up-to-date curriculum
 policies and practices to ensure a safe campus conducive to learning
 a commitment to help all students achieve high standards

This year 264 public and private elementary schools were named as 2000-2001
Blue Ribbon Schools.  Hawks Rise is one of only seven public schools and
three private schools in the state of Florida to receive the award this year.
Leon County Schools is particularly honored since two of these are in
Tallahassee!  Kate Sullivan Elementary School also received the award.

A school must be in existence at least five years before applying for the
Blue Ribbon award, and may reapply each five years.  Receiving this award was
part of the vision Mrs. Brinson had when the school opened, and we worked
steadily toward that goal until we were eligible to apply last year.

At the awards ceremony in Washington, D.C., the school will be presented with
the official Blue Ribbon School flag.  A Blue Ribbon flag waving overhead has
become a trademark of excellence, and a symbol of quality recognized by
everyone from parents to policy makers in thousands of communities.  Thanks
to the support of our parents, business partners, students and staff, one
will soon fly over Hawks Rise!