GODBY-ALUMNI Archives

Godby High School Alumni

GODBY-ALUMNI@LISTSERV12.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
Manny Joanos <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 2006 08:25:32 -0400
To all Cross Country Alumni;
             This season our homecoming week falls on the same week as our
District XC meet.  In keeping with the homecoming spirit I would like to
invite all of you to come out and support our cougars.  We are planning a
little cook out for after the race.  There is even an open race if you want
to remember how it felt J.  If interested please contact me so we can get a
count of who is planning on coming.  Also if you are still in contact with
anyone who ran please pass this along.  Here is a little preview of how we
are doing and what our goals are for Districts:
            Girls:    Our girl’s team is led by junior Kathleen Ogden.
Kathleen is also the Drum Major for our band.  Her personal best is 23:36
for 5K and she is looking to get in the top 15.  Joanna Forsyth is right on
Kathleen’s heels with a personal best of 24:06.  She too is looking to
break into the top 15.  Joanna is the last of the Forsyth children to come
through our program.  Her older sister Christy (our only girl to go to
State) and Andrew both ran for 4 years here at Godby.  The rest of the team
is made up of first year runners who have made tremendous improvements
throughout the season.  Sonya Mitroutzov started off with a 27:42 and is
now at 25:10.  Erin Saha was at 27:29, now 25:17.  Jayde Mitja dropped from
a 33:53 to an astonishing 27:55.  And Alexx White rounds out the girls
squad with a 36:58.
                  Our team goal is to make it to Regionals while upsetting
Florida High & Wakulla.
            Boys:    Our boy’s team is led by junior Joe Franklin.  If you
have been reading the paper lately you might have noticed Joe is tearing up
the local XC seen.  He has already recorded a new school record of 15:45
for 5K and is looking to become the first ever state champion in cross
country.  Joe is also ranked #1 in the country for returning 800m runner in
track.  He ran 1:50.917 at the Nike Outdoor Nationals this summer.  Joe
will also be going for his second district title.  Right behind Joe is our
new freshman sensation Tyrone Bynum.  Tyrone is on the verge of breaking
Joe’s freshman record of 17:15.  He ran a 17:19 this past weekend and is
getting better every race.  Gervarious Byrd and AJ Thompson come in close
to each other after that.  Byrd has already broken into the 18’s with an
18:58 this past weekend and AJ should be right there if not in front of
him.  AJ has missed a few races due to some personal issues.  The next few
spots are a tight battle.  Seniors Keith Martin and Danny Evans are looking
to go out as part of the top seven, but they have freshmen Arthur Williams
and Albert Weaver barking up their heels.  Someone is going to get left
off.  They will be fighting for 3 spots at the City Championship this
weekend.
                        Our team goals are to win the district title and
return to State.  We are also trying to get all 7 varsity guys less than 20
minutes.  If we can do this we should get our first ever top 10 ranking.

            Where:              Elinor Klapp-Phipps Park            (it’s
out behind Forest Meadows)
            When:               October 28th
            Time:                Girls start at 9:00am followed by the boys.
            More Info:          Call me Coach Chris Sumner  850-567-6175
Thanks,
Coach Sumner
Godby Cross Country Head Coach