GODBY-ALUMNI Archives

Godby High School Alumni

GODBY-ALUMNI@LISTSERV12.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
Manny Joanos <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2007 16:29:19 -0500
Attention Godby Alumni,
The Association of Godby Graduates (AGG) has been very active in raising
contributions to support deserving seniors with scholarships to pursue
higher learning. The AGG has awarded $500 in ’04, $750 in ’05, $1000
in ’06. We will award $2000 this May and have saved enough to grant $3000
in ’08.The AGG’s mission is to be an academic booster club and consider
scholarship for Godby students the best way for the alumni to help.
February marks the month for two of our major drives to support our Alma-
Mater.
The first way you can help: On Friday March 9th 2007 the Association of
Godby Graduates (AGG) will host our second AGG Hall of Fame Induction and
Dinner. Dinner will be served promptly at 6:00 with an awards program to
follow. The event will be held in the Godby Media Center and tickets are
$10.00 each. This event launches our alumni scholarship drive with all
proceeds earmarked for Godby student scholarships. Find below short bios of
our six inductees this year and of our guest speaker. Hall of Fame honorees
are selected based on lifetime achievements.
The second way you can help: Is to join the AGG. Membership is annual and
there are three levels of giving, $10, $25 and $75.
Please contact me, Manny Joanos (email: [log in to unmask] or
phone: 575-8939) for tickets, membership or other questions. Our alumni
site is: http://ghsalumni.fsu.edu

Please mark your calendar for the second annual Association of Godby
Graduates (AGG) Hall of Fame Induction/Dinner. This very noteworthy event
will be held Friday evening March 9, 2007, at 6 p.m. sharp in the Godby
Media Center. The AGG Hall of Fame recognizes graduates for their lifetime
accomplishments and contributions. The Hall of Fame committee has selected
an outstanding slate of graduates to be inducted this March.
The honorees are as follows:

Mrs. Sharon Thomason Hayes (McClellan), c/o 1970. Category: Education.
Sharon is in her thirty-first year of teaching, twenty of which were at
Godby High in English and journalism. Sharon produced the Godby Courier for
thirteen years and is responsible for three of the yearbooks. She is
currently teaching in Leon County’s Hospital/Homebound program.  She earned
her MA in English and BS in English education at Florida State University.

Mr. Chris Varner, c/o 1972. Category: Professional. Chris is a Supervising
Electrical Engineer with Ball Aerospace Corporation. Chris is currently a
lead engineer on the Kepler Spacecraft Program. This spacecraft will be
lunched in 2008, and its mission will be to discover earth-like planets in
distant solar systems. Chris has also worked on instrument controls for the
Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter and the Hubble Space Telescope. Chris received
his BS in electrical engineering from the University of Colorado at Denver.

Mr. Robert Thurston, c/o 1977. Category: Fine Arts. Bob is currently an Air
Force Master Sergeant and has been the composer-arranger for The United
States Air Force Band in Washington, DC since 1994. Bob has composed and
published dozens of concert pieces. He has composed and arranged music for
the Marching Chiefs and the Marching Cougars. Bob earned his bachelor’s and
master’s degrees in music education at Florida State University, where he
marched with the Chiefs.

Mr. Bart Wells, c/o 1977. Category: Business. Bart, a senior partner with
Sperry, Inc., has learned the construction business from the ground up.
Bart went to work for Sperry shortly after graduating from Godby. Bart, now
in his third decade, has led Sperry to recognition as one of the foremost
construction companies in the Southeast, constructing new structures in a
tri-state area.

Mrs. Karen Trammell (DeRuyter), c/o 1978. Category: Godby Volunteer. Karen,
a former Godby High honor student, is now a faithful state employee who has
raised her family in the Godby school district. During the five years her
children Erin and Robert were enrolled at Godby, Karen managed to
contribute in excess of 3,000 volunteer hours. She was a band, baseball,
swim and tennis booster. She additionally served on the School Advisory and
Project Graduation committees. Karen was Volunteer of the Year four times.

Ms. Jenny Worth, c/o 1995. Category: Sports. Jenny, after becoming
Homecoming Queen her senior year, went on to be the Madonna of Fitness.
Jenny became the NPC Florida Fitness Champion, Ms. Florida, Ms. USA, and
was second runner up as Ms. Olympia. Jenny, once known as the youngest
female professional bodybuilder, now trains high-profile celebrities,
including actor Denzel Washington, rocker Lenny Kravitz and baseball great
Alex Rodriguez.

Our guest speaker on March 9 will be:

Dr. Patti Skates, c/o 1972. Patti currently teaches American Government at
Red Banks High School in Chattanooga, Tennessee. Patti is an
Education/Administration major and earned her doctorate in education
leadership. In 2001, Patti used her Godby High Student Council skills to be
the first woman ever elected to the Soddy-Daisy, Tennessee City Commission.
She now serves as the city’s vice mayor. Patti is the organizer of the Red
Banks High Hall of Fame and has assisted in the development of the AGG Hall
of Fame.

Please plan to join the AGG on Friday, March 9, at 6 p.m. to help celebrate
this new slate of Association of Godby Graduates Hall of Fame inductees.
Tickets are $10 each. All proceeds are applied to the AGG scholarship fund.
Contact me, Manny Joanos, at [log in to unmask], or call 575-8939.