From:
Michelle Gayle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 10 Oct 2003 06:13:20 -0400
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT
Please be patient with us if you do not receive immediate answers to
emails. We are presently updating our school technology from the server to
our desktop computers. Meanwhile, you can communicate with all teachers via
the phone (488.8436) or by writing a message in your child’s Agenda Book.
You will continue to be informed of our progress via the Friday Newsletter!

This Week’s Highlights - It’s “A” Week –  ABCDEF
10.13.03
*Cherrydale Fundraiser goes home!
* GBB Try-outs Begin! See Coach Whitfield for details

10.14.03
Tackle Football v Belle Vue  7:00 PM @ Godby High

10.15.03
* Parents review and sign Agenda Books!
* GVB v Cobb      6:30 PM in the Tiger’s Den

10.16.03
* End of first 9 weeks!
* School ring orders taken during lunch/ $20 deposit

10.17.03
Teacher Planning Day – NO SCHOOL!

From the Principal,
Mrs. Michelle Gayle

It is hard to believe that next week is the last week of the first nine
weeks of the school year. We have accomplished so many important things in
such a short amount of time. Our students continue to work hard and strive
for academic excellence. I always say that I am working with the best
students, teachers, parents, professional staff members in the best
community in the world! Thanks for your continued support!
 The Griffin Middle School Advisory Council (GMSAC) met on Tuesday
evening and made some important decisions regarding our school. The meeting
was well attended. The GMSAC voted to approve our School Recognition Award
Plan (80% for staff bonuses and 20% for school improvement), our definition
of Adequate Progress concerning our School Improvement Plan (successfully
meeting 11 out of 13/85% of our school goals), and our budget for School
Improvement money (funding our Homework Center and student recognition
activities). The next SAC meeting will take place in February 3, 2004. The
agenda will be posted in our newsletter and on our listserv. Special thanks
to all who attended our GMSAC meeting on Tuesday, October 7, 2003.
 Finally, our PTO also met on Tuesday evening and had a very
productive meeting. Our PTO has recently awarded grants to our teachers and
staff that will serve to promote educational excellence at Griffin Middle
School. PTO Grant winners will be announced next week. Our PTO is also
kicking off our Cherrydale Farms fundraiser next week. This fundraiser will
make it possible to continue to provide resources and materials for our
classrooms and Media Center. We need your support! As always, please do not
hesitate to call upon me at 488.8436 or email me at
[log in to unmask] Have a positive week!

PTO News
We are counting on all Tiger Team families to support the Cherrydale Farm
fundraiser (October 13 - 27, 2003). Thanks for you support!

2003-2004 INK CARTRIDGE DRIVE CONTINUES
Hold on! Don’t throw those printer cartridges out! Our PTO will begin a
cartridge drive this month. You may send your used ink-jet and laser
cartridges in to our front office. These cartridges will be recycled and
turned into cash for our school!

Teen Read Week (TRW) is coming! October 19 - 25, 2003
This week is designed to encourage 12-18 year olds to “read for the fun of
it”. TRW is celebrated the third week in October every year. Each year an
annual theme is chosen. This years theme is “SLAMMIN @ Your Library” – Join
us in the Griffin Middle School Media Center to celebrate Teen Read Week!

Spotlight on Our Choral Department - Mr. Danny Whitfield, Choral Director
Congratulations to Paul Wilford, LaShayla Stately, and Stephanie Johnson
for passing the All-State Musicianship and Sight Reading auditions. These
talented Griffin Middle School Choral students will complete the final
auditions on November 13, 2003. Way to go, Tigers!

Students are presently being measured for choral uniforms. The choral
uniform fee is $70.00 and installment payments can be arranged by
contacting Mr. Whitfield (488.8436). Final payments should be completed by
November 24, 2003. Make all checks payable to Griffin Choral Department.
Mark your calendars for a December 4, 2003 Choral performance at the
Capitol.

Our Fall Book Fair is coming! October 20 – 24, 2003
Special Family Event  Report Card Pick-up Night
October 24th @ 6:00 PM