From:
Michelle Gayle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 18 Apr 2004 20:14:07 -0400
It's "A" Week in Tigerland! ABCDEF

04.19.04
* Boy’s Golf @ Hilaman Golf Course  9:00 AM – 12:00 PM
* GSB v Raa                     7:30 PM @ Lincoln High

04.20.04
Championship Track Meet         5:30 PM @ Lincoln High

04.22.04
* Take Your Son/Daughter to Work Day
* Parents Check & Sign Agenda Books

04.23.04
GSB v Cobb     6:00 PM @ Leon High

Take Your Son/Daughter to Work Day
Thursday, April 22, 2004

 The Leon County School Board and Griffin Middle School certainly
supports the career education opportunities that “Take Your Son/Daughter to
Work Day” provides for our students. If you are planning on taking your
child to work with you on April 22, 2004, please complete the following
requirements:

*   Parents must request this date as a pre-approved absence, and
*   The employee must provide the school with a written statement of the
child’s attendance at work  on company letterhead. This statement should be
submitted to the front office on Friday, April 23, 2004.

From the Principal, Mrs. Michelle Gayle

This has been a great week at Griffin Middle School! I am amazed at some of
the Science Fest projects that I see our students working on during the
school day. Our school Science Fest is always an exciting event that
everyone enjoys. I am sure that many of our Griffin Middle School students
will surely be  great scientists one day and solve some complex problem for
all mankind! Go, Tigers!

Griffin has a wonderful office staff that deserves to be recognized! Please
take the time to call and thank them for all of their hard work towards
keeping our school running smoothly. Mrs. Kathy Rich is the secretary who
normally answers our busy phones and Mrs. Sessions is also a secretary in
our front office. Mrs. Ford is the secretary and registrar in guidance.
Mrs. Tucker is our bookkeeper and Mrs. Steward is our school clinic
professional. These ladies make an awesome team and we are fortunate to
have them helping the students, teachers and families of Griffin Middle
School!

Mrs. Albert, our cafeteria manager, has asked that I remind all parents
about overdue lunch charges. Griffin must clear our cafeteria books and all
charges must be paid by April 30, 2004. Your child can check with Mrs.
Albert in the cafeteria to make sure that his/her account information is
correct and up to date. Our cafeteria will not be able to charge any lunch
items after Friday, April 16, 2004. If a child doesn’t have money for lunch
after this date, he/she will be served a peanut butter sandwich and milk.
If you have questions, please call Mrs. Albert at 488.8436.

Finally, we have six weeks left of quality education to provide for your
child. Please remind your child to come to school prepared to learn and
excel each day. We are expecting the best from each student at Griffin
Middle School! As always, please do not hesitate to call upon me at
488.8436 or email me at [log in to unmask] Have a positive
week!

Expect the Best from Your Child...And Get it!

When researchers look at what makes students successful, they always find
that expectations play a key role. If parents and teachers hold high
expectations, children usually live up to them. That’s true in academics…in
athletics…and it’s true for behavior as well.
The good news for parents is that you can learn how to put the power of
positive expectations to work for you. Here’s how:

Emphasize the Three "A"s

Attendance. Show your child that you think attendance is important. You go
to work if you have a headache or if the weather is cold – your child
should also go to school on those days.

Achievement. We all need goals. Help your child learn to set goals…and
achieve them. When he/she  reaches one goal, show that you are pleased –
and that you expect him/her to set his sights even higher next time.

Attitude. Jesse Jackson often says, “It’s your attitude and not your
aptitude that determines your altitude.” In other words, even the brightest
student can fail if he doesn’t work hard. Let your child know that you
expect them to try his/her best at all times!

Best of luck to Coach Holland, Coach Cooper & The Tiger Boy’s Golf Team!

Media Center Reminder
Please turn in your overdue library books today!