From:
Michelle Gayle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 16 Apr 2006 18:56:11 -0400
Our Week Ahead     It’s "A" Week ABCDEF

04.17.06
* Boys Golf Championship  8:30 AM @ Hilaman Golf Course
* GSB v Cobb  5:30 PM@ Godby High School

04.18.06
* Writes Upon Request for all Tigers!

04.19.06
* School-wide Outdoor Jazz Concert at 9:45 AM
* GSB 1st Round Game  5:30 PM @ Leon High School
* Track Meet 5:30PM @  Leon High School

04.20.06
* New Tiger Orientation    6:00 – 6:45 PM in the Media Center

04.23.06 – 04.25.06
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Visitation

This regularly scheduled visitation will involve a Review Team coming to
our school to talk to various stakeholders (students, teachers, parents,
administrators and community members) about our school improvement
efforts. The Review Team will also look at school documents, attend our
5th grade New Student Orientation, and any other meetings that are
scheduled at Griffin Middle School. The Review Team will then write a
report of their findings and make their final report to our faculty and
staff on Tuesday, April 25, 2006. We are excited about welcoming our
Review Team to see our commitment towards continuous school improvement
and our commitment to success for all students!

Warning – Popular Social Networking Web Sites

Have you heard the recent reports about teens and even preteens being
stalked or abducted by predators who gained personal information that
students provided on web sites such as MySpace.com, Xanga.com and
LiveJournal.com? These popular web sites provide a medium in which
students can write just about anything about themselves for the world to
see. What many students do not understand, however, is that it is not only
their friends and classmates who are reading their sites, it is also
complete strangers who may have the worst of intentions. The main problem
that is coming to light is that most students in our nation do not believe
that what they are writing can put them at risk. Many students feel that
because they don’t see someone face to face they think that they are
anonymous. However, students are far from anonymous when information is
provided such as school name, age, best friend’s name, or favorite place
to hang out.
MySpace.com has recently received a great deal of attention due to its
success in just two years of existence. MySpace currently has about 54
million users and receives 2.5 times more hits than Google. According to
CNN reports, one-fourth of the users of this web site are registered as
teenagers. The terms of agreement to enroll in MySpace indicate that users
must be 14 years or older, but there are NO SAFEGUARDS that would prevent
anyone younger from not being truthful about his/her age. The attraction
to such social sites rests in the ability for youth to personalize their
pages with music, pictures, different backgrounds, and their own thoughts.
These very elements make it easy for adults to prey on our children.
Please be aware of these sites and use this information as a talking point
with your child. Griffin will also sponsor parent and student workshops on
web safety. Stay tuned for details! Have a positive week!

Congratulations!

Join us as we celebrate the graduation of our Spring 2006 student teachers:
Mr. Chris Daniels
Social Studies

Ms. Alyssa McClish
Art Education

Ms. Erin Vermette
Art Education

Take Our Sons and Daughters to Work Day    Thursday, April 27, 2006

Thursday, April 27, 2006 is the designated date for “Take Our Sons and
Daughters to Work” Day. This educational activity is reserved for students
in grades three through grade eight. If a student would like to
participate, Griffin Middle School’s front office must receive a written
statement from the parent’s/guardian’s employer on company letterhead
verifying the student’s attendance at your place of employment on April
27, 2006. This letter must be received by Friday, April 28, 2006 in order
for your child’s absence to excused. If you have questions about this
policy, please do not hesitate to call Dr. Gayle at 488.8436.

A Note from Our Principal, Dr. Michelle Gayle

Here we are at the end of another successful week in Tigerland! Our
students remain focused and committed to doing their best in school each
day. Thank you for your continued support of our school and pour programs
of excellence. We could not be successful without you!
At this writing, we have a group of 8th grade leaders in Washington, D.C.
This educational four day tour was coordinated by Mrs. Register. Our
students have seen a variety of historical sites and even had an
opportunity to lay a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Solider. Stay tuned
for further details about this exciting trip!
Finally, I would like to take the time to thank the FSU Honor Society for
hosting an educational and informative program for our Pre-AP students.
The FSU Honor Society has served as a partner for our school this year and
have also volunteered their services during FCAT Saturday Academy and our
Tiger Fun Day! We appreciate their partnership!

Welcome back from Washington, D.C. - Mrs. Register, Ms. L. Register,
Mr. S. Brown and our 8th grade students!

6th and 7th Grade Algebra Readiness Examinations

All 6th and 7th grade students will take the Orleans-Hanna Algebra
Prognosis Test and the Leon County Inventory Test of Pre-Algebra Skills
during the week of May 15, 2006. These exams will be administered to our
students during their regularly scheduled mathematics class period.
Students can review concepts and skills that have been covered in their
mathematics curriculum. Qualifying students will receive a notice of
admittance into the Algebra I Honors class with their last report card of
the 2005-2006 school year. Good luck, Tigers!