From:
Michelle Gayle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 15 Jan 2005 09:05:25 -0500
There will be no school on Monday, January 17, 2005. This day is set aside
to honor Dr. Martin Luther King and all that he did for all people. Please
involve your family in the many activities that are taking place in our
city or spend some family time volunteering together. Remember, in order to
keep the "dream" alive this is a day to spend "on" volunteering, promoting
peace, and contributing to a positive environment! This special day should
not be treated as a day "off"!

FCAT Parent Night   01.18.05   6:30 - 7:45 PM

Join us on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 for our FCAT Parent Night. We will
have special guest presenters who will provide up to date information about
FCAT. They will also provide practical tips on how you can help your child
do their best on the FCAT. Please join us!

Health Tips for the Week

Serving Savvy:
Did you know a standard serving of most foods is about the size of the palm
of your hand?   Studies show that people eat less when they are served
smaller portions.

Tips to Keep those New Year's Resolutions:
1.  Focus on positive self-talk.  Be your own best cheerleader.
2. If you give in, don't give up!  Just get right back up and start again.
3.  Treat your resolution as a promise to yourself, not a test of your
willpower.
4.  Avoid temptation.  If you're on a diet, don't go to the ice cream
parlor.
5.  Post your resolution where you see it often to remind you of your goal.

Remember to read at least 30 minutes each night. Readers are leaders at
Griffin Middle School!

Are You Listening to Your Child?
It's so important to just listen to your child. Children who feel secure
that their parents are paying attention to them are happier and less likely
to get into trouble. Here's a quiz to see how you're doing.
Give yourself five points for things you usually do, zero points for
something you never do—or any score in between that you think you deserve.

___1. I give my child my full attention.
___2. I wait until my child is finished talking before I speak.
___3. I make eye contact with my child when we're talking.
___4. I show interest in what my child is saying.
___5. If my child picks a bad time to talk, I set a time to listen in the
near future. And I keep the appointment.

How did you score?
Above 20 points means you are truly listening to your child. Fifteen to 19
is average. Below 15? Try some of the ideas in the quiz to improve your
listening skills.