From:
Michelle Gayle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 2004 05:45:14 -0400
Join us for Orientation 2004 - Friday, August 13, 2004 10:30 - noon!

         We Guarantee Student Success at Griffin Middle School:
Attendance, Preparedness, Effort— Responsibilities Students Must Take

 Charges are often made about educators’ inability to help students
succeed, but students must be responsible for their own academic success.
Griffin Middle School can guarantee students’ success if they fulfill
three responsibilities:  (1) attend school regularly, (2) always bring the
tools of their trade, and (3) make an honest effort to learn and work
every day.

 (1) Attendance. All Griffin Middle School students must understand
that it is his or her responsibility to attend school and parents must
understand that it is their responsibility to make sure he or she attends
school each day on time! Attendance improves student achievement as well
as each student’s chances for success.

 (2) Preparedness.  The student must bring to class each day
whatever materials are needed to participate.  Attendance and effort lose
their value if the tools needed to work are at home or in a locker.
Teachers cannot teach students who are unprepared.  Parents and teachers
can remind and encourage, but the student is ultimately responsible for
being prepared and needs to learn that there are consequences for failing
this duty.

 (3) Effort.  Students are responsible for making an honest effort
to learn each day.  This includes completing assignments, working
independently, and working with others.  It means paying attention and
contributing to class discussions.  This necessitates coming to school
well rested, alert, positive and ready for the academic challenges of the
day.

 Success in our classrooms is a cooperative effort between our
teachers, students, and parents.  None of these parties can operate
successfully without the others and none is solely responsible for student
success.  I pledge to you that our teachers will do their part to educate
and academically challenge your child. I am counting on all parents and
students to do their part! Please do not hesitate to call upon me
(488.8436 or email me at [log in to unmask]) if I can be
of assistance to you!  Have a positive school year!

Michelle Gayle,
Proud Principal of Griffin Middle School

Transportation Information – Call the Appleyard Compound at 488.7572