From:
Michelle Gayle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2005 05:42:47 -0500
Congratultaions to Mrs. Vicki Register, NBCT!

Our very own Mrs. Register was named as one of five District Finalists for
the 2005 Teacher of the Year Award! It's no wonder that she has been chosen
for this award by her peers at Griffin and the distinguished district
committee due to her true dedication to children and teaching. "She makes
math fun and I never thought that I could learn to do the hard stuff that
she has taught me to do," said one of her students. "She is never too busy
to help me with lesson planning or just listen to what is going on so that
I can become a better teacher," said one of her peers at Griffin. Her
parents often share with me that she is always there for their child. She
has weekly help sessions for her students each Thursday to ensure that they
understand the skills and concepts of each lesson. She sponsors our BETA
Club and Mu Alpha Theta Team at Griffin Middle School. Mrs. Register has
presented at state and local conferences on topics ranging from how to
infuse reading skills in math to how to write and receive grants. Later
this year, she will lead a professional book study for our math department.
She was the very first National Board Certified Teacher at Griffin Middle
School and she approaches each day in the classroom with vigor and high
expectations for herself and her students.
Mrs. Register will participate in final interviews on Monday and the
district's 2005 Teacher of the Year will be announced on Tuesday by
Superintendent Bill Montford! We are so proud of Mrs. Register! Feel free
to drop her a congratulatory email at [log in to unmask]
Way to go, Tiger!

Body Mass Index for Leon County Students
All LCSB parents will soon receive a letter about their child's Body Mass
Index. This letter contains very important information for all parents. We
know that being healthy goes hand in hand with being ready to learn and
achieve. Please do not hesitate to contact Lori Pilkington (487.6380) or
Mrs. Gayle (488.8436) if you have questions about the information that you
receive.

HEALTHY TIPS FOR PARENTS
• When talking to children about their weight, don't single out or place
blame. Eating well and exercising should be a family affair.

• Be a good role model. Take part in family activities such as walking,
biking and playing tennis.

• Shop smart. Purchase only healthy food so children will have only healthy
options.

• Watch portions. Instead of serving buffet-style meals, serve your child
meals where the portion of each food item on the plate is the size of his
or her fist.

• Praise your child when he or she makes a healthy choice. Instead of using
food as a reward, try spending time with your child, playing a game or
having a fun family outing.

Body mass index for Leon County Schools students in grades K-1 and 3-8:

• 62 percent, healthy weight

• 19 percent, excess weight associated with health risks

• 17 percent, excess weight for age and gender, may create health risks

• 2 percent, underweight for age and gender, may create health risks

Body mass index for Florida students in grades K, 1, 3, 6, 9:

• 64 percent, healthy weight

• 19 percent, excess weight associated with health risks

• 14 percent, excess weight for age and gender, may create health risks

• 2 percent, underweight for age and gender, may create health risks

Sources: Stepping Toward Health initiative, Leon County Schools

----