From:
Michelle Gayle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 14 Aug 2005 05:25:21 -0400
Good morning, Tiger Team Parents, Students, and Friends!

Tomorrow, August 15, 2005, is the first day of school for our Tigers!
School begins at 8:20 AM. Students are to report to their "A" period class
where they will receive their schedule for the rest of the day. "A" period
classes are posted at the front office. We will have plenty of adults in
the halls to ensure that students find their classrooms in a timely manner.

Students only need to bring their positive "can-do" attitude on tomorrow
(08.15.05) as they will receive a folder, paper and pencil in their "A"
period class. Please look for these folders when your child comes home as
they will contain important information for you to read, reveiw and sign on
Monday evening. Backpacks and other supplies are not needed until Monday,
August 22, 2005.

I would like to thank everyone who took the time to join us on Friday,
August 12, 2005 for our Orientation. We has a packed house in most
classrooms. Many parents volunteered at the PTO Table! Thank you for your
continued support of our school! It is only through working together that
we can continue to be successful as a school.

As always, do not hesitate to call upon me at 850.488.8436 or email me at
[log in to unmask]  if I can assist you in any matter.
Here's to a positive and highly productive 2005-2006 school year!

Michelle Gayle,
Proud Principal of Griffin Middle School

Did you receive our August 2005 mailhome newsletter? If not, call our front
office(850.488.8436) and make sure that we have your correct home mailing
address.

Help Your Child Be Self-Disciplined
There's an old proverb that says, "If you give a man a fish, he will eat
for one day. If you teach him to fish, he will eat for a lifetime." Well,
when you're helping your child develop self-discipline, you're
also "teaching her to fish."

As adults, we don't have people standing over us every day. There are many
responsibilities that we must assume for ourselves—getting up on time,
getting to work, making sure our families are fed. We do those things
because we have the self-discipline that helps us to manage our own lives.

As parents, we need to develop that same self-discipline in our children.
It starts by having a clear set of rules—and then sticking to them. When
parents enforce the rules, children are usually relieved. (Of course,
they'll grumble a bit.)

Hold high expectations for your child. Be sure to let him know when he has
lived up to your expectations. You might say, "I am so proud of you. You
remembered to feed your fish every day last week without being reminded.
You are very responsible."

Point out to your child the ways in which he benefits from following the
rules. If an adult gives you a compliment about your child, pass it on.
Everyone likes to have good behavior noticed!

As your child grows older, you need to constantly readjust your rules. Give
your child more freedom—as long as he proves to you he can handle it. (But
still have some rules.)