From:
Michelle Gayle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 11 Apr 2004 07:54:24 -0400
It's "E" Week in Tigerland   EFCDAB

04.12.04
GSB v Fairview      7:30 PM @ Messer Park
Come out and support Mr. Rich and our Lady Tiger Softball Team! We are 2
and 2 as of this writing!

04.13.04
Writes Upon Request  Grades 6th, 7th and 8th - Happy Writing, Tigers!
Track Meet             5:30 PM @ Leon High School
Come out and support Mr. Gilmore and the GMS Tiger Track Team. Our team
placed 2nd (girls) and 3rd (boys)last week!

04.14.04
GSB v Ft. Braden     7:30 PM @ Messer Park

04.15.04
* Parents Check & Sign Agenda Books

Band News and Reminders

The Ashley Farms Broadway Cafe fundraiser is coming to an end.  All GMS
Band students, please do your best at selling over the weekend.
Your orders will need to be turned in on Monday, April 12th during
homeroom.  Delivery will take place during the week of May 3rd.

Thanks for your support, Tigers!

PTO News and Reminders

We are still selling Discount Cards with money saving values good until
August 2004!

Please call the office at 488.8436 if you are interested in serving as a
PTO Officer next year! Your help is needed and appreciated!

Tiger Team News from the Duke TIP Program Talen Search

We are pleased to report that two Griffin students have qualified for
special recognition from the Duke TIP Program Talent Search.  Rebecca Chen
has received Grand Level Recognition and has been invited to the 2004 Grand
Ceremony which will be held at Duke University on May 17!   Robert Oakley
and Rebecca Chen received State Recognition and have been invited to attend
the Florida Ceremony on May 24 at Florida State University!  Both students
qualified to participate in the TIP Program in September.  They went on to
take the SAT Math and SAT Verbal tests generally administered to high
school juniors and seniors.  Their performance on those tests qualified
them for this very special recognition! Way to go, Tigers!

From the Principal, Mrs. Michelle Gayle

      Another great week has come to an end. Most of our students are
working hard on their Science Fest projects. The deadlines for the Science
Fest have been shared via our newsletter, your child’s science class, and
they are also posted on the Griffin website. I look forward to viewing the
projects during display week.

     Our Dress Code Policy is still in effect! Please carefully review what
your child is wearing to school each day to make sure that the outfit
chosen is in compliance with our policy. I have seen some young ladies make
some bad choices with shoes and shirts. Some of our young men continue to
make bad choices concerning their pants and shirts. Remember that students
get one warning letter to bring to you for signature and then they are
assigned In School Suspension. If a child continues to make decisions that
go against our approved and well publicized policy, that student will be
assigned out of school suspension. Again, please help your child make good
decisions about what to wear to school each day.

     Mrs. Majeed and Mrs. Folsom have been working hard in our Media Center
to process and shelve hundreds of new books! This new shipment has arrived
just in time to celebrate National Library Week! To that end, Mrs. Majeed
will draw the name of a student each day who has checked out a book from
our Media Center. This special student will receive a special prize. On
Friday, April 16, 2004, all students who have checked out a book from our
Media Center will be eligible to win a stuffed “Tigger the Reading Tiger!”
Please encourage your child to participate in this contest and fulfill
their school obligation to read 30 minutes each day!

      Finally, we have seven weeks left of quality education to provide for
your child. Please remind your child to come to school prepared to learn
and excel each day. We are expecting the best from each student at Griffin
Middle School! As always, please do not hesitate to call upon me at
488.8436 or email me at [log in to unmask] Have a great
weekend and a Happy Easter!

Tigers Shine at the District History Fair!

          Griffin students had a great day at the District History Fair in
March! They competed along with 650 other students in the categories of
Historical Paper, Group Exhibit, Individual Exhibit, Group Documentary,
Individual Performance, and Group Performance.  The results of the judging
were:

3rd Place Group Project- Chelsea Clark, Kelsey Johnson, and Savanna Vickery

Hon. Mention Group Project-Farrah Bryant and Brittany Letchworth

3rd Place Group Documentary-Andrew Harrison, Joseph Lyons, Jordan Scott,
and Tyler Vickery

3rd Place Individual Project-Jackie Gilchrist

4th Place Individual Project-Maggie Thomas

Hon. Mention Individual Project-Cameron Covington

Hon. Mention Individual Project-Carissa Harris

3rd Place Individual Performance-Ashley Augustine

4th Place Historical Paper-Acacia Jackson

Our own Mr. Mike Sever was honored as Leon County History Teacher of Merit!