From:
Michelle Gayle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 15 May 2004 19:23:57 -0400
Weekly Highlights for May 17 - 21, 2004
It's "A" Week in Tigerland!

05.17.04
*Yearbooks Distributed to Students during 2nd Homeroom
* Yearbooks are still on sale for $30.00! See Mrs. Sanders or Mr. Sheppard

05.18.04
* Last Day of Buy One Get One Free Book Fair
* Mentor Breakfast   8:00 AM/ Media Center

05.20.04
* Locker Clean-Out
* Parents Check & Sign Agenda Books
* Spring Band Concert   7:00 PM/Tiger’s Den

05.21.04
* Band Trip to Wild Adventures
* 6th and 7th Grade Awards Assemblies  9:15 AM

Message from the Principal

It's great to be back on the list-serve! I ususally complete this weekly
update from home. My home computer was hit with a virus that really made a
negative impact on my system. I do apologize for this matter. It feels good
to be up and going again!

Griffin was in the news this week! We were featured in the May 10, 2004
Democrat's Gold Stars section for our accomplishments in academics and
athletics! We were also featured on all networks and in the Democrat
because we hosted the "Back to the Classroom" Press Conference on Tuesday,
May 11, 2004. Our students, teachers, and parents were joined by Education
Commissioner Horne, Chancellor Warford, Chancellor Austin, Chancellor
Armstrong, Superintendent Montford, Assistant Superintendent Wilson,
Executive Director Ortega, Executive Director Wright and various principals
from the district for this press conference. On Tuesday, May 12th Ms.
Radcliffe from DOE substituted in Mr. Shulla’s Social Studies class for the
entire day. She loved the experience and meeting the future leaders of our
world. This event was a positive experience for all!

Our 6th and 7th grade students traveled safely to Busch Gardens in Tampa,
Florida on Friday. The students, parents and teachers had a blast! Special
thanks to Ms. Bush, Ms. Harris, Ms. Jackson, Ms. Lee, Mrs. Anderson, Mrs.
Jones, Ms. Hines, Mrs. Anderson, Mrs. Tucker, Mrs. Sessions, and Mr.
Whitfield for planning and organizing a great educational and social trip
for our students!

As the year comes to an end, please remind your child that we are still
about the business of learning. I have had to suspend several students who
have made bad decisions concerning their behavior. I am committed to
providing a safe and orderly campus from the first day of school until the
last day of school. Dress code also seems to challenge our students during
these last days of school. Please check your child’s attire before he/she
leaves each school day.

We have nine more days of quality instruction to provide. Your help and
support are valuable to our success at Griffin Middle School and always
appreciated. As always, please do not hesitate to call upon me at 488.8436
or email me at [log in to unmask] Have a positive week!

Special thanks to Mr. Heinz and the GMS Concert Band for providing a
Concert in the Park on Friday, May 14, 2004!

Mark Your Calendars!!
Exam/Early Release Days  Tuesday, May 25 - Thursday, May 27, 2004
8:20 AM - 12:10 PM

May 27, 2004  Last Day of School for Our Tigers!
              Good luck in High School to our rising 8th grade students!

May 28, 2004  Summer Begins for Tigers! Don't Forget to Read Each Day!
              Our Summer Reading List is on our website and at all
              area book stores. This is a requirement, not an option!

August 9, 2004  Teachers Return

August 13, 2004 Orientation for Tigers  Time: TBA
                Homeroom Class Lists Posted

August 16, 2004 Tigers Return for Another Year of Excellence!  8:20 AM
                Schedules given to students during homeroom