From:
Michelle Gayle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 25 Apr 2004 13:23:46 -0400
It's "E" Week in Tigerland   EFCDAB

04.26.04
* Elementary Schools Visit Griffin  10:00 – 11:00 AM
* Science Fest 2004 Begins – Way to go, Tigers!

04.27.04
* Tigers attend Capitol City Bank Stockholder’s Meeting
* Progress Alerts Go Home with each Tiger!

04.29.04
* Money for Honors Banquet due ($16.50 for guests)
* Sports Picnic  2:45 – 4:30 PM in the Tiger’s Den
* Parents Check & Sign Agenda Books

04.30.04
* Islands of Adventure Trip for Clubs
* Deadline to pay all lunch charges! See Mrs. Albert

Special Announcement..............
Please join us as we welcome The Honorable Jim McDonough, Florida’s Drug
Czar! He will visit our school to hear about all of the wonderful ways that
Tigers say "NO to drugs & YES to life" on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 at 3:00 PM
Everyone is welcome!

From Our Principal, Mrs. Michelle Gayle

      Where did our week go? This has been a fast and wonderful week. I
would like to congratulate Coach Gilmore (Head Coach), Mrs. Jones, Ms. A.
Smith, Mr. Wilson, Mr. Hinson and the Tiger Track and Field Team! Our girls
won first place in the District Championship Meet on Tuesday, April 20,
2004. Our boys won third place in this same competition. This is the first
time in the history of the school that our teams have won or placed as high
as they did this year! The assistant coaches and team members celebrated by
pouring a cooler of water over Mr. Gilmore as he smiled and continued to
congratulate his team! Way to go, Tigers!
      The Annual Griffin Middle School Honors Banquet will take place on
Tuesday, May 4, 2004 at the Leon County Civic Center. The Honors Banquet is
a very special event where we honor those students who have earned Honor
Roll for the first three nine weeks of the school year. This year we will
honor 17 students who earned all A Honor Roll and 89 students who have
earned A/B Honor Roll for the first three nine weeks of the school year!
Our PTO helps to support our students and this special event by paying for
the meals of our students. Parents and grandparents who wish to attend this
luncheon are asked to pay for their meals ($16.50 each) by Thursday, April
29, 2004. If you have questions about this event, please call Mrs. Register
at 488.8436.
      Finally, we have five weeks left of quality education to provide for
your child. Please remind your child to come to school prepared to learn
and excel each day. We are expecting the best from each student at Griffin
Middle School! As always, please do not hesitate to call upon me at
488.8436 or email me at [log in to unmask] Have a positive
week!

PTO News and Reminders
We are still selling Discount Cards with money saving values good until
August 2004!

Please call the office at 488.8436 if you are interested in serving as a
PTO Officer next year! Your help is needed and appreciated!

Our next PTO meeting will take place on Tuesday, May 4, 2004 at 7:00 PM in
the Media Center. Please join us!

Our next School Advisory Council meeting will take place on Tuesday, May 4,
2004 at 6:00 PM. Everyone is encouraged to attend. Our Agenda for this
meeting is posted below:

1. Welcome and Agenda Review

2. Climate Survey 2004 Update

3. School Improvement Plan Review & Principal's Update

4. Visioning for 2004-2005 Updates, Questions, Suggestions and Comments

5. Other

6. Closing announcements & dismissal

Summer Job Readiness Skills
        Teenagers are always anxious to grow up and get their first jobs.
Having their own money is very important to them and very helpful to you.
But just because your child is of working age doesn’t mean that he or she
is ready for the work world. It would be a tough lesson for any young
person to be fired because he/she just couldn’t meet the employer’s
expectations.
        You can help prepare your child to enter the world of work by
making sure he/she has job readiness skills. Our students learn many job
readiness skills in their academic classes and in student organizations and
clubs. They also garner some informal job skills by watching how people
deal with work and work-related issues.

Some examples of job readiness skills are:
*  A willingness to learn quickly.
*  The ability to communicate and solve problems.
*  Honesty and trustworthiness.
*  A respectable appearance.
*  An adequate knowledge of standard English.

PROGRESS ALERTS GO HOME WITH EACH TIGER ON TUESDAY, APRIL 27, 2004!