From:
Michelle Gayle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 2004 13:24:53 -0400
A Note from the Principal, Mrs. Michelle Gayle

        This has been a great week! I would like to thank all of the
Griffin Middle School students, parents, faculty, and staff members for
making our second week of school just as wonderful as the first week!.
 Our Mandatory Parent Meeting went very well! We had over 700 people
join us last evening to find out what it will take for their son/daughter
to be successful this school year! I have received many emails from parents
that appreciate this meeting being held earlier to help ensure the success
of our students. Special thanks to our PTO members, Mr. Whitfield and the
Advanced Chorus, and all of the volunteers who came out to support our
school!
 Our PTO has prepared a budget for this upcoming school year. If you
would like to receive a copy of the budget that was shared during our
Mandatory Parent Meeting, please call our front office and we will send one
to your attention.
 Your child will bring home the 2004-2005 agenda book on Monday,
August 30, 2004. The first agenda book is provided by the school. The
second agenda book will be sold to your child for $6.00. All students MUST
have an agenda book! Please take the time to review your child’s agenda
book each day! As always, please do not hesitate to call upon me at
488.8436 or email me. Have a positive week, Tigers!

Cafteria News
      I hope that your child has shared the great news about our newly
renovated cafeteria! In short, it is a state of the art facility. Our
school community is so proud of our cafeteria!
 Parents, please know that our cafeteria staff cannot give change to
students. We must assume that if a parent sent in a certain amount of money
that all of it should be applied to the child’s lunch account. Thanks in
advance for working with us on this matter!

Clinic Corner

     Hello to all!  My name is Melissa Chapman, RN, BSN.  I’m a Registered
Nurse with the Leon County Health Department.  I’m also the new school
nurse at Griffin Middle School.  I, along with Mrs. Laura Stewart the
clinic aide, are very excited about this upcoming year.  As a professional
nurse, I understand the impact health plays in the education arena. I am
able to provide certain services at the school. These services are
explained in the school health brochure that I provided to all the
teachers.  I plan to be present at Griffin Middle School on Mondays and
Wednesdays.  Meanwhile, Mrs. Stewart will be present everyday.  We look
forward to a great school year!

After School at Griffin

Our after school program and activities are available for our Griffin
Middle School students. The hours of operation are from 2:50 PM—4:30 PM.
Students who normally ride a LCSB bus to and/or from school will be allowed
to board our cost free after school buses.

Activity   When  Sponsor
Homework Center          M—F  Jackson
Co-ed Cross Country         M, W and Th Jones
Cheerleading Tryouts         M—Th  Williams
Girls Volleyball  M—Th  Osborne
Tackle Football          M-F  Rich
Youth Crime Watch         T (8:00 AM) Jones
   (Former members only)
Student Government         T  Jones
Studio Productions  T  Bush
    (Former members only)
Step Team           W (8:00 AM) Jones
    (Former members only)
Successful Young Women         F  Bush

                    It’s "A" week in Tigerland! ABCDEF
                   Review & sign agenda book each night!

08.30.04
* Homework Center starts!
2:50—4:30 PM   Monday through Friday

08.31.04
* First Summer Reading Test—Good luck, Tigers!

09.03.04
Discount card sale ends! Thanks for your support!

Griffin Middle School

Our Vision
We believe that all students will have an opportunity to develop the skills
they need to pursue life’s goals and to participate fully as informed and
productive members of society.

Our Mission
To provide learning opportunities for students so that they may
realistically and effectively respond to future challenges and demands of
life.

Our Belief Statements:
We believe that every student is capable of learning. To implement our
mission, we believe:
1.Our first priority is student learning in a safe and orderly environment.
A quality professional educator is required for each classroom.
Students will be actively engaged in critical thinking activities across
the curriculum.
Students will be provided with a variety of learning strategies.
Learning environments will allow for maximum learning at varied levels.
Parents will be involv