From:
Michelle Gayle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 29 Feb 2004 05:58:42 -0500
Weekly Highlights  -  It¡¦s ¡§A¡¨ Week in Tiger-land  - ABCDEF
03.01.04
* Get a good night¡¦s rest, Tigers!Know that you are destined for success!

03.02.04
* FCAT Testing Begins     8:20 AM ¡V 11:30 AM
* Band Parents Meeting    6:30 PM in the Media Center
* 6th Grade End of the Year Trip Meeting  6:30 PM in Media Center
* PTO Meeting             7:00 PM in the Media Center

03.03.04
 * FCAT Testing Begins     8:20 AM ¡V 11:30 AM

03.04.04
* Parents Check & Sign Agenda Books

03.05.04  School Spirit Day- Gooooooo, Tigers!
* Show your Tiger Team Spirit by wearing Blue & White!
* $12.00 due to coaches for Annual Sports Picnic

Special Message from our PTO
Griffin Middle School PTO, Mentors, Volunteers, and Partners say,
¡§Good Luck on the FCAT to all Tigers!!
We know that you are all ready to SHOW what you KNOW!
We are proud of you and know that you will continue to uphold
our tradition of excellence at Griffin!¡¨

Message from the Principal, Mrs. Michelle Gayle

       The time has come to SHOW what we KNOW! Our students and teachers
have been working hard all year within each Griffin Middle School
classroom! We have prepared our Tigers for success on the FCAT by making
sure that the Sunshine State Standards and benchmarks are taught every
day. We have emphasized the importance of reading throughout each subject
area. We have also continued to insist that our Tigers use higher order
thinking skills during each lesson. We know that the best preparation for
a test comes with what you do each and every day in the classroom. We are
destined for continued success!
 Congratulations to our Boys Basketball Team and our Girls Soccer
Team for earning their rightful place in the Division 1-A Championship
games. Our coaching staff and team members (Mrs. Osborne, Mr. Gilmore, Mr.
McQueen and Mr. Wilson) are to be commended for the great job that they
did this past season. Each of these teams has made us proud to be Tigers!
 Join me as we congratulate Mr. Danny Whitfield who was elected as
our Glenn-Howell Distinguished Minority Educator. He was chosen by his
peers due to his commitment to the Griffin Middle School learning
community. He is a dedicated professional educator who has positively
impacted the lives of countless students for over 23 wonderful years. We
are so proud of Mr. Whitfield!
        Finally, I want all Griffin Middle School Community members to
know that breakfast will be served free of charge for the next 10 days
(March 1- 12, 2004) in our school cafeteria. This nutritious meal will
consist of cereal (Special K, Rice Krispies, or Corn Flakes) and milk.
Students can eat breakfast in the cafeteria between 8:00 AM and 8:13 AM.
Please plan to take advantage of this important meal of the day to boost
thinking power during FCAT testing! Special thanks are extended to our
cafeteria staff and the Food Services Department of Leon County for
supporting our kids. As always, please do not hesitate to call upon me at
488.8436 or email me at [log in to unmask] Have a
positive week!

FCAT Testing Tips for Parents
Parents, we want to share these tips that will ensure your child¡¦s success
on the FCAT! Thanks for your continued support of Griffin Middle School!

Ħ Make sure you tell your child that the FCAT is important.
Ħ Tell your child that you have confidence that he/she will do well.
Ħ Keep the home environment extra calm during the days of the test.
Ħ Insist that your child get plenty of sleep during the whole
testing period.
Ħ Provide a hardy breakfast each test morning for your child.
Ħ Discuss the test with your child to ease the test anxiety.
Ħ Make sure your child arrives at school a little early (8:00 AM)
each test day.

We will test from 8:20 ¡V 11:30 AM. Please ensure that your child is on
time and ready for a positive testing experience. Also, please do not ask
that your child be checked out early during testing periods. Thanks for
your support of our programs at Griffin Middle School!

Annual Sports Banquet News!

Coaches and Athletes of all Sports-Cheerleading, Cross Country, Girls¡¦
Volleyball, Tackle Football, Flag Football, Boys¡¦ Soccer, Girls¡¦
Basketball, Boys¡¦ Basketball, Special Olympics, Girls¡¦ Soccer, Girls¡¦
Softball, Golf and Track at Griffin Middle School are invited to attend
our Griffin Middle School Spring Sports Picnic, Thursday, April 29 from
2:45 ¡V 4:45.  The cost is $12.00, which includes one picnic meal and one
trophy.  If you are planning to attend, you must sign up and pay $12.00 to
your coach before Friday, March 5.

IMPORTANT PARENT INFORMATION

Every student was given a schedule to take home on Monday with directions
attached to it.  The schedule contains the very important information of
current address, home and work phones, as well as, emergency contacts.  If
you did not receive this, please ask your son or daughter about it.  If
you know changes have taken place in any of this information, and the
print out is not available, please call Guidance at 488-4200 with the up
to date information.  This is vital in terms of safety for our students.
We must be able to contact you or a designated back up person if anything
should happen at school.  Thank you for your attention to this important
matter.