From:
Michelle Gayle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2006 05:05:08 -0400
Our Week Ahead      It’s “E” Week EFCDAB

04.10.06
* Art Class Fieldtrip
* GSB v Ft. Braden  7:00 PM @ Messer Park

04.11.06
* 8th Grade Washington, DC Trip departs!
* Girls Golf Championship  8:00 AM @ Gaither Golf Course

04.12.06
* Everhart Visits Griffin Middle School Reading Buddies
* GSB v Raa 7:00 PM @ Lincoln High
* Track and Field Meet 5:30 PM @ Godby High

04.13.06
*GMS band visits Elementary Schools

04.16.06
* Happy Easter, Tigers!

Hats off to all Tigers who contributed to our Box Tops for Education
Campaign! The Homeroom Class winners are listed below:
Mrs. Clancy
Mrs. Gaskin
Dr. Palmer
Mrs. Register

Take Our Sons and Daughters to Work Day  April 27, 2006

Thursday, April 27, 2006 is the designated date for “Take Our Sons and
Daughters to Work” Day. This educational activity is reserved for students
in grades three through grade eight. If a student would like to
participate, Griffin Middle School’s front office must receive a written
statement from the parent’s/guradian’s employer on company letterhead
verifying the student’s attendance at your place of employment on April
27, 2006. This letter must be received by Friday, April 28, 2006 in order
for your child’s absence to excused. If you have questions about this
policy, please do not hesitate to call Dr. Gayle at 488.8436.

8th Graders - Start Preparing for High School Now!
There are seven weeks left in the 2005-2006 school year! It’s good to
start thinking about high school while your rising 8th grader is still in
middle school. High school requires students to be increasingly
responsible for their own learning. So help your child prepare for the
future today. For example, he/she should:

*Study at the same time each day.
*Continue to read each day in order to expand vocabulary.
*Develop a system for organizing schoolwork.
*Take good notes in all classes to use before tests.
*Visit the high school and attend school events there.
*Read about high school organizations/clubs and make plans to join one of
the organizations/clubs in the fall.
*Take the time to visit the high school’s webpage. Bookmark this site in
order to keep up with important school events.

A Note from Our Principal, Dr. Michelle Gayle

By now, you should have received your child’s report card. If you have
not, please call our office at 488.8436. Most of our students are on track
and will earn promotion at the end of the year. A small number of our
students must really buckle down and apply themselves or face retention.
Please keep in mind that we offer the Homework Center each  day after
school. Many of our teachers use schoolnotes.com to post weekly
assignments. Many of our teachers also make themselves available before
school and after school to help our students. Our commitment to our
students remains in place. Please continue to check your child’s grades on-
line and communicate with your child’s teachers.

Finally, I would like to thank all of our parents who joined us for SAC
and/or PTO on Tuesday, April 4, 2006. Our meetings were productive and
full of ideas that will serve to make our great school even better. Please
know that your input and involvement are always valued at Griffin! Have a
positive week!

Rising 6th Graders Immunization Requirements
Td (tetanus and diphtheria) Booster

Parents are encouraged to have their children immunized as soon as
possible so that all needed immunizations are completed and immunization
documentation is brought to school before May 25, 2006.  If your child has
already received this immunization, please bring the documentation to
Griffin Middle School as soon as possible.

Needed immunizations may be received from your child’s private doctor or
free of charge at the Leon County Health Department.  To schedule an
appointment for immunizations at the Health Department please call 488-
2223.

The Leon County Health Department will be providing several special
immunization clinics during April and May.  These clinics will provide
free immunizations for students needing immunizations for school
attendance.  Infants and young children needing immunizations may also be
immunized at these special clinics.  While an appointment is encouraged,
children may be seen on a walk-in basis during the immunization clinics
listed below:

Thursday, April 13, 2006 4:00 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.
Roberts & Stevens Clinic
1515 Old Bainbridge Road

Tuesday, April 18, 2006         4:00 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.
Leon County Health Department
2965 Municipal Way

Thursday, May 11, 2006         4:00 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.
Roberts & Stevens Clinic

Tuesday, May 16, 2006  4:00 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.
Leon County Health Department

All children receiving immunizations at the Health Department must be
accompanied by parent or legal guardian.  When taking your child for
immunizations, please bring this letter with you, along with a copy of
your child’s complete immunization record.

For further information, please call the Leon County Health Department at
487-3186.