From:
Michelle Gayle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 10 Jan 2004 07:18:30 -0500
Message from the Principal
Happy New Year to all Tigers! We have had a great week at Griffin Middle
School. Our students have returned more mature and focused. The first
sememster was great, but I know that our second semester is going to be
even better!

As the New Year begins, won't you make a pledge to ensure that your child
reads at least 30 minutes per night? I was reveiwing some new research last
week that further indicated how overall academics improved with reading at
least 30 minutes per night. I know that the schedules of middle school
students and parents are non-stop, however this pledge to read 30 minutes
extends into the lifetime of your child and promotes a dedication to
lifelong learning and reading. I know that I can count on each parent and
student to obtain this school-wide goal.

We held our "Back to Excellence" Assembly on Tuesday morning. The girls met
in the cafeteria while the males met in the gym. Topics such as maximizng
your potential, responsibility and respect, and asking for help when needed
were covered. We also reveiwed our student rules, dress code rules and high
expectations with all students. This assembly was well received and set the
tone for our successful second semester.

Well, here's to another great week at Griffin Middle School. Please do not
hesitate to call upon me if I can assist you in any matter! Have a positive
and highly productive week!

Michelle Gayle
Proud Principal of Griffin Middle School

Hats Off to.............
Ms. Brenda Harris - our Teacher of the Year!
Mrs. Katherine Rich - our School Related Employee of the Year!
Sapphire Hinson and Kenneth Williams - our Martin Luther King, Jr. Campus
Representatives!

PTO Update
Our PTO met on Tuesday, January 6, 2004 in the Media Center. The meeting
was well attended and featured such topics as officer's reports, the
Principal's Report and discussion of our upcoming Silent Auction. Please
join us for our next meeting on Tuesday, February 3, 2004 at 7:00 PM in the
Media Center. We need you to be a part of our PTO!

Student Discount Cards - ON SALE NOW
Purchase a GMS Student Discount Card today for a discounted price! The
cards are good for great discounts until August 31, 2004! Purchase the
cards for the low price of $7.00 each or two for $10.00.

Yearbooks are still on sale! Please see Mrs. Sanders or Mr. Sheppard for
details.

Homework Center - 2:50 - 4:45 PM  Monday through Friday
Starting January 12, 2004, our Homework Center will be open each school day
to assist your child in completing homework, projects, and special
assignments. We will also begin our FCAT Prep Sessions during this time.
Students can attend the Homework Center and ride the activity bus home each
day at no charge.

Special Reminders:
Please read, sign and return the FSU Grant Permission form to your child's
Homeroom Teacher by Tuesday, January 13, 2004.

Please read, sign and return the parent permission form for our school-wide
field trip to see a theatrical production of "Wiley and the Hairy Man".
Field trip permission forms and a $6.00 non-refundable fee are due to
homeroom teachers by Tuesday, January 20, 2004.

REPORT CARDS GO HOME WITH EACH TIGER ON MONDAY, JANUARY 12, 2004!

Thought for the Week:
All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
---Walt Disney