From:
Michelle Gayle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 31 Oct 2004 06:27:06 -0500
Tiger Parents - Does Your Child Have a Study Routine?

Children do best in school when they study every day. If they don’t have
assignments, they can read or review.

Here's a quiz to see if you'r helping your child establish a regular study
routine. Give yourself five points for something you usually do, zero
points for something you never do—or any score in between you think you
deserve.

___1. I encourage my child to study at the same time each day. This might
be in the morning, afternoon or early evening—whenever my child is most
alert. (Late at night is not a very productive time.)
___2. I require my child to study for a minimum amount of time. This keeps
my child from rushing through assignments. I ask the teacher what is an
appropriate amount of time for my child to be spending on homework.
___3. I suggest that my child child study the hardest subjects first. They
demand the most energy and motivation. Sometimes if my child is intimidated
by an assignment, I say it's OK to start with an easier task.
___4. I make homework time a family quiet time. This means that while
children study, parents do things such as pay bills, write letters or read.
This sends the message that schoolwork is a family priority.
___5. I let my child take study breaks. They help students think better.

How did you score?
Above 20 means you’re doing a good job of establishing a study routine for
your child. A score of 15 to 19 is average. A score below 15? Try some of
the ideas in the quiz to help get your child into a good study routine.