From:
Michelle Gayle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 26 Sep 2003 05:38:13 -0400
Tiger Team Update - September 26, 2003

It’s “A” Week in Tigerland! –  ABCDEF
09.29.03
* GVB v Fairview    6:30 PM in the Tiger’s Den

09.30.03
* Tackle Football v Nims  5:30 @ Cox Stadium

10.01.03
* GVB v  Deerlake 6:30 PM in the Tiger’s Den

10.02.03
* Yearbook Bargain Days - $25.00 with name stamp
* Balfour Class Ring Order Day - $20.00 deposit
* Parents review and sign Agenda Books!

10.07.03
* SAC Meeting - 6:00 PM/Media Center
* Band Parents Meeting - 6:30 PM in the Band Room

PTO News & Announcements!
2003-2004 INK CATRIDGE DRIVE
Hold on! Don’t throw those printer cartridges out! Our PTO will begin a
cartridge drive this month. You may send your used ink-jet and laser
cartridges in to our front office. These cartridges will be recycled and
turned into cash for our school!
Plan to attend our next PTO meeting on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 at 7:00 PM.
We’ll be looking for you!

From the Principal, Mrs. Michelle Gayle

Fall is in the air! Our mornings are a bit cooler and I think that everyone
appreciates that change. Leaves have begun to fall throughout our campus
and the capitol city. This is a great time of the year!
 Our students participated in the first Writes Upon Request
assessment on Tuesday. Writing is just one of the areas that Griffin
students excel in thanks to our total school dedication to writing. Griffin
has traditionally performed higher than the state and the district in the
area of writing. Ask your child to tell you about the first writing prompt.
Special thanks to all of our students and teachers for continuing to
perform well in this critical communication area.
 We participated in a LOCK DOWN Drill this week. This drill provided
an opportunity for everyone to practice and be prepared if an emergency
occurred on our campus. I am happy to report that this drill was executed
with extreme precision and was very successful. We take safety seriously at
Griffin Middle School. Special thanks to Mr. Fleming, our APA, for
coordinating this drill for our campus.
 Yearbook Bargain Days are coming up next week. This special sales
event offers students a chance to capture the moments of the 2003-2004
school year at a great price. For the bargain price of $25.00, a student
can pre-purchase a yearbook with their name stamped right on the cover.
This sale will take place on October 2 and 3, 2003. Please see our Yearbook
sponsors, Mr. Sheppard or Mrs. Sanders, if you have questions.
 As always,  please do not hesitate to call upon me at 488.8436 or
email me at [log in to unmask] Have a positive week!

Human Relations Club

Griffin’s Human Relations Club will meet on Monday, September 29, 2003. Our
meeting will be held in Mr. Gilmore’s classroom from 2:50 – 4:45 PM. This
meeting is open to all interested students in 6th, 7th and 8th grade. The
first meeting will be used to organize the activities and calendar of
events for this school club. Plan to join us and help us make a positive
difference on our school campus and in our community.

2003-2004 Out of Field Teachers

It is the school's responsibility to inform parents of teachers who are
teaching temporarily out of their certification field.  Sometimes they are
waiting to take their certification test.  This pertains to Ms.
Hutto in Spanish.  Other times they teach a field which is close to their
certification.  This pertains to Mr. Hawkins in Math.  His
certification is in Business Education. Mrs. Bostic will be teaching in the
Intensive Reading/SRA program, and comes to us with a wealth of experience
in teaching reading.  All of our teachers are highly qualified  and
competent educational professionals who really care about our students!

Our Fall Book Fair is coming!
October 20 – 24, 2003 during school hours!
Special Family Event- Report Card Pick-up Night
October 27th @ 7:00 PM

Parent-teacher conferences offer an opportunity for adults to get together
to discuss your child’s progress in school. It is a time for you, the
parent, to ask questions about any concerns that you may have about your
child’s progress in school.  Since the time allowed for meetings can be
limited, it is helpful for  parents to plan ahead.

How to get ready:
1. Make a list of questions and concerns.
2. Ask your child if he/she has questions for the teacher.
3. Arrange for a baby sitter for small children.

Questions you may want to ask:
1. Is my child having any trouble? In which subjects does my child do
well?
2. Does my child get along with other children?
3. Does my child obey the teacher?
4. How can I help at home?

At the conference:
1. Please arrive on time.
2. Discuss your questions and concerns.
3. Share information that will help the teacher know your child better.
4. Take notes if you wish.

After the conference:
1. Tell your child about the conference.
2. Plan to keep in touch with the teacher.

To schedule a conference call our guidance office at 488-4200.