From:
Michelle Gayle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 17 Apr 2005 20:27:06 -0400
It's "A" Week in Tigerland ABCDEF

04.18.05
* GSB v Cobb 6:00 PM @ Leon High
* Course Request Forms Distributed to students

04.19.05
* Writes Upon Request Day - Happy Writing, Tigers!
* Honors Luncheon 11:00 AM at the Civic Center
* Boys Golf  8:00 AM - 12:00 PM at Hilaman Golf Course
* Curriculum Fair 5:30 - 7:00 PM in the Media Center

04.20.05
* Track and Field Championship  5:30 PM @ Lincoln High School
* First Round GSB Playoff Games - TBA

04.22.05
* Course Request Forms DUE
* Last day to purchase a yearbook for $25.00!

04.26.05
*Progress Alerts go home with each Tiger!

Dear Tiger Team Parents, Guardians, Students and Friends;

We are so proud of our students for remaining focused on doing the right
thing and really applying themselves throughout the school day at Griffin
Middle School!  Our Tiger Team faculty and staff members are dedicated
to the task of ensuring success for all students.  Please continue to
talk with your child or children about his/her class work and home work.
If you have questions or concerns, please email, write a note in your
child's agenda book, call us at 488.8436 or cqll our Guidance office to
schedule an appointment. As I have said before - education takes a team -
and I am glad to be a part of your child's team for success!

Have a Tiger-riffic week!

Michelle Gayle, ABD
Proud Principal of Griffin Middle School

Curriculum Fair - Tuesday, April 19, 2005 5:30 - 7:00 PM in the Media Center
Join us to met our teachers, students, counselors and administrators! You
don't want to miss this night! We'll see you at the Curriculum Fair!

TAKE YOUR SONS & DAUGHTERS TO WORK DAY

April 28th is the designated date for "Take Our Sons and Daughters to
Work".  The guidelines (aligned with MS Foundation's recommended age
group) for Leon County Schools will allow participation in grades 3-8.
Schools must receive a pre-approved letter from the parent and/or
guardian indicating the student's participation.  The employee must
provide the school with a written statement on company letterhead
verifying the student's attendance.  Please note these are two separate
letters.  The first letter must be sent before April 28th and the second
letter will need to be brought in on April 29th.

SIX WEEKS TO GO

With only six weeks of school remaining in the school year, we still
have so much to accomplish.  The teachers are working hard to help the
children master the grade level benchmarks in order for students to be
promoted.  We also have so many exciting end of the year activities to
look forward to over the next several weeks, which include end of the year
field trips, our Annual Honors Luncheon at the Ciic Center, the Spring
Sports Picnic,etc.  This certainly looks to be an eventful remainder of the
school year! Please continue to remind your child to come to school on time
(8:20 AM), ready to learn and within our dress code! Thanks for making
these last six weeks just as wonderful as the frst 30 weeks of our 2004-
2005 school year!

END OF THE YEAR EARLY RELEASE DAY REMINDER

As I have communicated in an earlier newsletter, only the last day of
school will be an Early Release Day.  The school day will conclude at
12:10  PM on Friday, May 27th.  Parents are reminded to make
appropriate after school arrangements for that last day of school.

YEARBOOK REMINDER - $25 Before they Arrive!

Yearbooks are on sale now for $25.  Please forward all checks made payable
to Griffin Middle School or cash to Mrs. Sanders or Mr. Sheppard. The
yearbook is in the final stages of editing and printing and you are going
to love the final product. Remember that the yearbooks will cost $30.00
when they arrive. So save some money while you save the memories from our
Tiger-riffic school year!

How Well Do You Motivate Your Child to Learn?

You've heard the saying, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make
him drink." The same is true of kids and learning. But eventually, they're
the ones who have to take the responsibility for what they learn. As a
parent, you can help nurture your child's motivation to learn. Here's a
quiz to see how you're doing.
Give yourself five points for things you usually do, zero points for
something you never do—or any score in between.

___1. I let my child do as much for herself as she's able.
___2. I do some quiet work while my child is doing homework.
___3. I help my child see how what she's learning today will help her in
the future.
___4. I encourage my child to set goals. We talk about both short-term and
long-term goals for her life.
___5. When my child brings home a school assignment, we talk about why she
succeeded, or how she could do better the next time.

How did you score?
More than 20 points means you're doing an excellent job of motivating your
child to learn. Fifteen to 19 points is average. Below 15? Try some of the
ideas in the quiz to motivate your child to learn.