From:
Michelle Gayle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 17:49:25 -0500
This Week’s Highlights - It’s “E” Week  - EFCDAB

02.23.04  SHOW YOUR TIGER TEAM SPIRIT!!
* BBB Division 1-A Championship
   6:00 PM at Rickards High School   $2.00 admission
   Tigers v Nims Middle School
*GSB Try-outs Begin! Good luck, Lady Tigers!

02.25.04   SHOW YOUR TIGER TEAM SPIRIT!!
* History Fair Projects Due for Display
* GSOC Division 1-A Championship
6:00 PM at Lincoln High School   $2.00 Admission
Lady Tigers v Cobb Middle School

02.26.04
* History Fair Project Judging
* FCAT Practice Testing during “C” period
* Parents Check & Sign Agenda Books

02.27.04  School Spirit Day- Gooooooo, Tigers!
* Show your Tiger Team Spirit by wearing Blue & White!
* Science Fest Assignment #1 DUE to Science Teachers

02.28.04
* Math Counts Competition! Gooooo, Tigers!
* District Chorus Solo & Ensemble Contest

From the Principal, Mrs. Michelle Gayle
We have had another great week at Griffin Middle School. As I review the
national news, I see so much about school violence and bullying. I want to
make sure that you know what steps we have taken at Griffin Middle School
to ensure your child’s safety during school hours. Mr. Jonathan Wilson was
hired at the beginning of the year to monitor the school campus throughout
the day. We are fortunate that we have never had any incidences of crime
on our campus. Our faculty and staff know each other and also recognize
any strangers that may be on campus. An alert system is in place to ensure
that all visitors check in through the front office. Doors to classrooms
are locked to ensure that teachers know who needs to enter the room prior
to their entrance. We practice emergency drills each month including fire
drills, lock-down procedures, and inclement weather drills. Know that we
are always expecting the best, but we are prepared for emergencies, too.

Did you know that Griffin Middle School has an active Peer Mediation
Program? Peer mediators are trained by our certified faculty members (Mr.
Sheppard, Mrs. Jones & Mrs. Gitlin). We have peer mediators in the 6th,
7th and 8th grades who are ready and willing to help their fellow
students. Students can refer themselves to Peer Mediation or a teacher can
do so. This is a powerful model that our students take seriously. Students
learn a valuable life skill which includes talking through their problems
and seeking solutions together. Way to go, Tigers!

Finally, as the FCAT testing season approaches, I would like to remind you
to continue to encourage your child to do his/her best at all times. Know
that your child has been given high quality classroom learning experiences
that will allow them to excel on the FCAT. Remind your child to remain
calm and confident as he/she approaches the FCAT test. I am confident that
our students are prepared to do their best on the FCAT!  As always, please
do not hesitate to call upon me at 488.8436 or email me at
[log in to unmask] Have a positive and highly productive
week!

TIGERS SOAR IN 2004 - FCAT Tips for Students

You can ensure you perform well on the FCAT by following a few very
important steps.
 1. Make sure you understand what the test is all about. You
received a “Keys to the FCAT” booklet.  READ IT.  If you have questions,
ask your teacher.
2. Get some sleep. Come to school the day of the test well rested.  The
test is long and requires you to be alert.  You will think your best if
you get 8 hours of sleep for several nights before the test.
3. Eat breakfast.  Your brain needs food to operate, not just sugar.
4. Arrive at school on time. You must be settled and ready to work during
testing time.
5.  Concentrate.  During the test, don’t worry about other people.
Concentrate on the test and the questions.
6.  Read the passages.  In order to answer the questions, you must read
the passages.  You cannot just skim the passage for the answers.
7. Think as you read the passages and questions.  The FCAT requires you to
THINK as you read.  You must think about what the author is trying to say
to you.
8. Bubble correctly.  Make sure your answer is placed on the right spot on
the answer sheet.  Bubble the complete circle and do not go outside of the
bubble.
9. Think positive.  You have worked all year in school learning so much.
You are ready for this test.  All you have to do is show what you know.
10. Read directions and questions slowly and carefully. You must
understand what is being asked before you answer questions correctly.

FCAT Testing Schedule
March 2   READING SSS
March 3   MATH SSS
March 4-5  MAKE-UPS
March 8                 FCAT SCIENCE   (8TH Grade ONLY)
March 10  NRT READING & MATH
March 11-12  MAKE-UPS

      Griffin Middle School PTO, Mentors, Volunteers, and Partners say,
                 “Good Luck on the FCAT to all Tigers!!
            We know that you are all ready to SHOW what you KNOW!
        We are proud of you and know that you will continue to uphold
                  our tradition of excellence at Griffin!”

Notes of Excellence from our Band Director, Mr. Heinz

Congratulations to the following students for participating in the Solo &
Ensemble Contest last weekend at The Florida State University:

Amanda Nichols          Heather Frierson
Vanessa Keyser   Kenneth Williams
Taylor Baldwin   Jordan Scott
Seth Bostwick   Tara Santos
Kaylin Grimes   Sapphire Hinson