From:
Michelle Gayle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 26 Mar 2005 09:39:45 -0500
Week of March 28 - April 1, 2005

March 28, 2005  It's "E" Week  EFCDAB
* School resumes for Tigers at 8:20 AM!
* First day of the last nine weeks grading period
* 6th Grade Wheel Rotates (Art goes to Spanish; Spanish goes to Chorus;
Chorus goes to band; Band goes to Physical Education; Physical Education
goes to Art)
* GSB v Nims  6:00 PM at Lincoln High School

March 29, 2005
* 6th and 8th grade students bring home climate surveys
* 8th Graders participate in HS Visitation Assemblies

March 30, 2005
* Track and Field Meet  5:30 PM at Godby High School
* GSB v Swift Creek  7:30 PM at Leon High School

April 1, 2005
* Climate surveys due back to B period teacher

April 2, 2004
*Special Principal's Survey posted on listserv for input

April 5, 2005
*Report Card Pick-up    6:00 PM
*Annual Silent Auction  6:30 PM

April 6, 2005
* Report Cards go home with all Tigers

Silent Auction Promises to be BIGGER than ever!
Mark your calendars and plan to attend our Annual Silent Auction on
Tuesday, April 5, 2005. This auction will feature some real bargains and
also give you a chance to support our great school in the process. Join us
at 6:30 PM and get ready to bid! FSU and FAMU athletes will be present to
sign report cards and sports balls, take pictures with students, and
provide inspirational words of wisdom during this event. Shonda Knight
(WTXL - Channel 27) will be our emcee during this event!

Question of the Week:
My son and I just aren't "connecting." I try to ask about his day, but all
I get are short responses—like "Yes," "No" and "Okay." How can I get him to
open up and talk with me?

Answer:
Your child is like many kids his age. A recent study found that most fifth
through eighth graders don't find it very easy to talk to their parents
about important things.
But it's very important that you keep trying to talk with your child. He's
going through a lot of changes. You need to keep up with what's happening.
And he needs to talk about what matters to and confuses him.

Also, the way you end up communicating with your son now is likely to be
the way you will continue to communicate with him as he gets older.

To get through to your child, try these things:

Ask for his input. Tell your child you want to know about his life and
concerns. Ask for his ideas on what would improve your communication.
Pick the right time. If your child is tired and doesn't want to talk, wait
for a better time.
Plan time to talk. Your child probably won't be comfortable having a formal
meeting. Instead, plan to talk in the car. Or talk while you share a hobby
or chore.
Ask questions that require your child's opinion. Like, "What was the high
point of your day?"
Be positive. Young adolescents are very sensitive to criticism. Find things
you can praise.
Listen with interest to the little stuff. Your child needs to know you're
open about everyday things. Then he might trust you with his feelings about
heavier issues like sex and drugs.
Read between the lines. Acknowledge your child's emotions, which he might
not be able to express.
Don't interrupt. Your child needs time to explain his opinions and desires.
He'll clam up if you jump in—even if you think you know what he's going to
say.
Ask for your child's help. Young people get excited and talkative when
planning a family event or sharing what they know.
Seize the moment. Look for TV shows, news and other events that can trigger
discussions on important issues and values.
Praise and thank your child when he does open up to you.