From:
Michelle Gayle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 3 Sep 2005 09:34:32 -0400
GOVERNOR BUSH AND FIRST LADY BUSH INVITE FLORIDA STUDENTS TO PARTICIPATE IN
THIRD ANNUAL HISPANIC HERITAGE MONTH ESSAY CONTEST

TALLAHASSEE– Governor Jeb Bush and First Lady Columba Bush today invited
Florida’s K-12 students to participate in the third annual Florida Hispanic
Heritage Month essay contest. The essay contest is the first in a month-
long schedule of events planned to commemorate Florida’s Hispanic heritage.
The theme of the essay contest is, “How has Florida’s Diverse Hispanic
Heritage and Culture Inspired You?”

“Columba and I are proud of the Spanish and Latin-American influences which
are a rich part of Florida’s culture and play a dynamic role in shaping our
state,” said Governor Bush. “Hispanic Heritage month gives us the
opportunity to educate Florida's students about the contributions Hispanic
individuals have made to the diversity of our state’s history.”

Governor Bush is asking students to pay special tribute to the Florida’s
diverse Hispanic population and their contributions to the state’s culture,
economy and education. The theme for Florida’s 2005 Hispanic Heritage Month
Celebration is “Florida, Gateway of the Americas: Celebrating Our Diverse
Hispanic Heritage.”

The contest is open to all Florida K-12 students. A panel of educators,
community and business leaders from around the state will serve as judges
and select the winning essays. One winner will be selected from each of the
three grade-level categories, elementary (grades K-5), middle (grades 6-8)
and high school (grades 9-12). Winners will receive a full four-year
tuition scholarship to a Florida college or university of their choice,
provided by annual essay contest partner Florida Prepaid College Foundation.

“From Florida's earliest days, people of Hispanic heritage and culture have
played a vital role in shaping this diverse and wonderful state we live in.
The Florida Prepaid College Foundation is again proud to participate in
this month’s celebration as a sponsor of the Hispanic Heritage Month essay
contest,” said Stanley G. Tate, Chairman of the Florida Prepaid College
Foundation.

Essay Guidelines are as follows:

* Entries must be e-mailed to [log in to unmask] or mailed to the
Executive Office of the Governor: 400 S. Monroe Street, Suite 206,
Tallahassee, Florida 32399.
* Entries must be received no later than 5:00 p.m. (EST), September 16,
2005.
* Each student may enter only one essay, no longer than 500 words.
* Essays submitted must include: contestant's name, home address, telephone
number, school the student attends, grade level and title of the essay.
* Essay must be accompanied by a parental consent form in order to be
considered.

Hispanic Heritage Month is celebrated nationwide and begins on September
15, the anniversary of independence for five Latin American countries—Costa
Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua. Mexico achieved
independence on September 16 and Chile on September 18. Hispanic Heritage
Month has been celebrated in the United States since 1974, when President
Gerald Ford issued a Presidential Proclamation extending Hispanic Heritage
Week into a month-long observation.

“The Florida Hispanic Legislative Caucus is proud to serve as a partner for
this year's Hispanic Heritage Month essay contest.  It is important for
Florida’s children to be educated about the history and contributions of
all the nationalities represented across this great state. As we prepare to
celebrate the diversity of our state's Hispanic culture, it is my hope that
this essay contest will encourage our youngest citizens to seek a greater
knowledge of the  many contributions Hispanic Americans have made in
shaping our state's and nation's history,” said State Representative Bob
Henriquez , Vice Chair of the Florida Hispanic Caucus.

Partners of this year's Hispanic Heritage Month essay contest include the
Florida Prepaid College Foundation and the Florida Hispanic Legislative
Caucus.  Those interested in participating in the essay contest and
obtaining more information on other Hispanic Heritage Month events should
visit www.floridahispanicheritage.com or call (850) 488-5394 for more
information.