From:
Michelle Gayle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 4 Feb 2006 15:55:21 -0500
Our Week Ahead      It’s "E" Week EFCDAB

02.04.06
*FCAT Saturday Academy     9:00 AM – 12:00 PM

02.06.06
GSOC v Nims   7:00 PM @ Messer Park

02.07.06
* FCAT Writing Plus – 8th Grade Tigers – Score 4 or more!
* WUR for 6th and 7th Grade Tigers – Score 4 or more
* BB v Belle Vue  6:00 PM in the Tiger’s Den
* PTO      7:00 PM in the Media Center

02.08.06
* FCAT Mock Testing Session #34
* BB v Nims   6:00 PM at Nims Middle

02.09.06  Progress Reports Go Home with ALL Tigers!

02.11.06  FCAT Saturday Academy  9:00 - 12:00
Join us for fun instruction in the academic areas of mathematics, reading
and writing!

FCAT Testing Dates   It’s Time to Show What You Know!
February 7, 2006
FCAT Writing Plus/ 8th Grade
Writes Upon Request/ 6th & 7th Grade
Remember to use your REFS, Tigers!
(References, Examples, Facts & Statistics)

February 27 – March 10, 2006
FCAT Reading, Mathematics/
6th, 7th & 8th Grade
FCAT Science / 8th Grade

We Love Our Mentors, Partners & Volunteers

The students, faculty and staff of Griffin Middle School are proud to tell
each mentor, volunteer and partner how much we appreciate all of the
wonders that you make happen at GMS each day! Your efforts are on-going
and always performed so pleasantly. Everything you do for all of us is
immeasurable. Thank you for being on our team and sharing your valuable
time with us.

A Note from Our Proud Principal, Mrs. Michelle Gayle

Happy February to you! Many parents have emailed and asked us for student
passwords for the FCAT Explorer Preparation Program sponsored by the
Florida department of Education. This information has been shared with all
of our students through their mathematics teachers. You can access the
FCAT Explorer Program at the following website:  www.fcatexplorer.com .

Finally, I would like to ask that you make sure that you encourage your
child to “Show What They Know” on FCAT Writing Plus and WUR. These
assessments take place on Tuesday, February 7, 2006. Our students need to
come to school on time with a positive “can-do” attitude! Each Tiger is
expected to score 4 or more on these assessments and they have been given
the quality instruction, guided practice and feedback in order to meet
this school-wide goal. I am so proud of our students and teachers! Griffin
Middle School is truly the BEST!  Have a positive week!

Attention All 8th Grade Parents and Students! Check out these options for
your high school academic career.

Rickards High School International Baccalaureate Program
http://www.rickards.leon.k12.fl.us/ib/index.htm
Rickards IB representatives held their Parent Night on January 12th and
visited GMS the morning of January 10th to present a brief program for
interested students and to answer questions. Students who meet eligibility
criteria for the IB Program should have received a mailing directly from
Rickards. For more information contact Sue Newman at 414-5017.

SAIL
www.sail.leon.k12.fl.us
Open House Showcase for parents and interested students will be held Feb.
22, 2006 at 6:30 p.m. at SAIL. All 8th graders will watch a brief video in
their  HR class on 02.10.06  about the SAIL experience including general,
honors, dual enrollment, and creative arts - drama, art, guitar,
photography, and video productions. Call 488-2468 to get more information.

The Academy of Academics and Technology
http://www.theacademy.leon.k12.fl.us/default.aspx
A Parent Night is planned for February 21, 2006 on the Lively Campus.
Academy representatives will visit GMS during the month of February to
present a brief program for interested students and to answer questions.
The Academy of Academics & Technology, a Leon County school district
magnet high school, will be opening two new career academies for the 2006 –
2007 school year. Health Science and Information Technology (IT) are high
wage, high demand occupations for our region and state. They are actively
recruiting current 8th grade students who have an interest in a career in
the medical field or in the computer and information technology industry.
The career academies will begin with 9th graders for the 2006-2007 school
year. Both academies provide an honors level college preparatory
curriculum with articulations to Lively Technical Center and Tallahassee
Community College, as well as dual enrollment opportunities with Lively,
TCC, FSU and FAMU. Their Health Science Career Academy will offer health
certifications, in addition to clinical experiences at local hospitals and
long-term care facilities. Their IT Career Academy is a certified
Microsoft IT Academy with built-in industry certifications and internship
opportunities with numerous business partners. Students who complete
either career academy will graduate high school with multiple
certifications in Microsoft IT or Health Science, which will make them
highly qualified for the job market. Due to the depth and extent of the
curriculum, students will also be academically prepared to enter a two- or
four- year postsecondary institution. For information call Ms. Singer 487-
7626, Ext. 5079 or Ms. Rollins at 487-7465.