From:
Michelle Gayle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 20 Nov 2004 05:40:06 -0500
Did You Celebrate National Children's Book Week?

Reading deserves its spot as the first R. Reading skills provide the
foundation for your child's continued success in school. This past week The
Children's Book Council celebrated National Children's Book Week. Take this
quiz to see if you're following some of their steps for fostering your
child's love of reading.

Give yourself five points for something you usually do, zero points for
something you never do—or any score in between.

___1. I take my child to the library. I introduce my child to Newbery and
Caldecott Award winning books.
___2. Our family reads aloud together. We set aside ten or fifteen minutes
a day to read aloud together.
___3. I let my child choose books to read. I know that some children love
to read favorite books over and over again.
___4. Our family has a limit on TV time. I know that it's my responsibility
to turn off the TV and encourage reading.
___5. I make reading fun. I try to use exciting voices for characters as I
read aloud. I laugh at funny stories with my child.

How did you score?
A score above 20 means you're doing a great job. Fifteen to 19 is average.
Below 15 points? Try some of the ideas in the quiz to help your child
become a reader.

Readers are Leaders at Griffin Middle School! For more infomation on
National Children's Book Week, go to
http://www.cbcbooks.org/html/book_week.html.