From:
Michelle Gayle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 24 Aug 2006 05:44:20 -0400
MANDATORY PARENT MEETING

THURSDAY, August 24, 2006    6:30—8:00 PM

Important information will be shared to ensure your child’s academic and
social success during the 2006-2007 school year!

Yes, there will be great door prizes! (iPod, gift certificates from local
businesses, prize packs from our PTO, and other goodies!)

Griffin Middle School is proud to be an A+ school!

GMS After School Information

Our after school activities start promptly at 2:50 PM and end at 4:30 PM.
If your child rides a regular school bus, he/she can also ride the after
school bus home free of cost. Please note that there will be three after
school buses that combine the routes of twelve regular buses. Therefore,
your child may arrive home well after 5:30 PM.

       Activities/Sponsors for Tuesday, 8.22.06 — Tuesday, 8.29.06

Tackle Football /Hankerson  T, W, Th, F, M
Girls Volleyball/O’Neill  T, W, F
 (Students must have current physical, completed activity form,
HIPAA form and  their last report card)
Co-ed Cross Country/Jones  T, W, Th, F
Cheerleader Try-Outs/Williams         T, W, Th, F
SGA/Jones    T (29th)
Note: The GMS Homework Center will be in full operation starting on
Tuesday, September 5, 2006.

School Improvement News

The first Public Hearing for the goals of our 2006-2007 School Improvement
Plan will take place on Thursday, August 24, 2006. Please review the goals
that are stated below and be prepared to share your input by calling
(850.488.8436) or emailing ([log in to unmask])  Dr.
Gayle. We will identify the strategies that will ensure that we achieve
our school goals on Tuesday, September 5, 2006 at our School Advisory
Council (SAC) meeting at 6:00 PM. Please know that we value your input and
suggestions as we continue to provide excellence in education at Griffin
Middle School!

School Goal One: Griffin Middle School students will perform at or above
grade level in reading [as measured by the Florida Comprehensive
Assessment Test.]

School Goal Two: Griffin Middle School students will perform at or above
grade level in writing [as measured by the Florida Comprehensive
Assessment Test.]

School Goal Three: Griffin Middle School students will perform at or above
grade level in mathematics [as measured by the Florida Comprehensive
Assessment Test.]

School Goal Four: Griffin Middle School students will perform at or above
grade level in science [as measured by the Florida Comprehensive
Assessment Test.]

School Goal Five: Griffin Middle School will continue to provide a safe
and caring environment that is conducive to learning.

School Goal Six : Griffin Middle School will continue to involve parents,
guardians, and community resources as active partners in achieving
successful student performance.

Annual Review of our Vision, Mission and Belief Statements

Each year all Griffin Middle School stakeholders are asked to reveiw our
vision, mission and belief statements to ensure that they are aligned with
our school improvement activities. Please take the time to read these
staements and forward any input, suggestions or thoughts to Dr. Gayle at
[log in to unmask] . Thank you for your valuable time!

Our Vision
We believe that all students will have an opportunity to develop the
skills they need to pursue life’s goals and to participate fully as
informed and productive members of society.

Our Mission
To provide learning opportunities for students so that they may
realistically and effectively respond to future challenges and demands of
life.

Our Belief Statements:
We believe that every student is capable of learning. To implement our
mission, we believe:

Our first priority is student learning in a safe and orderly environment.

A quality professional educator is required for each classroom.

Students will be actively engaged in critical thinking activities across
the curriculum.

Students will be provided with a variety of learning strategies.

Learning environments will allow for maximum learning at varied levels.

Parents will be involved in their child’s learning.

Seven Habits of Highly Responsible Students

Responsible students don’t have any one secret for their success...but
they do practice some habits that help them. Continue reading to find the
seven habits that help highly responsible students achieve in school.

#1 Responsible students set goals. Goals keep kids focused on the
future. That is why they are the foundation of responsible behavior—and
success in school. Students have a better chance of getting where they
want to go if they set goals. Ask your child “What are two things you
would like to accomplish this year?”
#2 Responsible students plan their time. Help your child use their
agenda book ot organize his/her time. Write down all commitments, due
dates, quiz dates, etc. You  know the old saying, “If you fail to plan,
you plan to fail.”
#3 Responsible students study every day. Learning any subject is like
building a brick wall—you do it steadily, one step at a time. Responsible
students set aside time for homework or for studying every day.
#4 Responsible students take notes in class. Students who earn
all “A”s seem to have one thing in common—they take notes in class. They
have learned that teachers will almost always spell out what they think is
important (and what is likely to be on the test). Know that we will be
working on note taking skills at Griffin Middle School.
#5 Responsible students have the tools they need. A carpenter
wouldn’t think of showing up without a hammer. A nurse always has a
stethoscope. Help your child to understand that he/she must have their
tools in place each school day—including paper, pencil, homework, books,
supplies for projects, etc.
#6 Responsible students keep their commitments. Responsible people
honor their commitment to others and to themselves. They succeed in school
by completing their assignments well and on time. They do their share of
group projects. You can teach your child about commitments by setting a
great example for your child to follow.
#7 Responsible students get ready ahead of time. Some students start
out each morning in crisis mode. However, responsible students have
learned to take five or 10 minutes before bedtime to get ready for the
next day by making sure that his/her clothes are laid out, lunch is
packed, and homework is located in the correct folder.

GMS School Public Accountability Report (SPAR) Available online at
http://www.leon.k12.fl.us/spar/2006/