From:
Michelle Gayle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 2004 07:36:03 -0500
Have You Made Your New Year's Resolutions?

The beginning of a new year is traditionally a time for making
resolutions. Have you made resolutions to keep your child healthy and safe
in 2005?

Take this quiz to find out if what’s happening in your home is sending
your children the wrong messages about drugs. Answer Yes if the statement
applies to you, and No if it does not.

___1. I provide my child with a tobacco-free environment. I know that
secondhand smoke can be a health threat to my child.
___2. I keep my child safe in the car. We always buckle up.
___3. I make sure my child eats healthy, well-balanced meals and
nutritious snacks.
___4. I make sure my child gets plenty of rest. I have established a
regular bedtime for my child.
___5. I monitor my child's activities. I know where my child is and with
whom at all times.

How did you score?
Five yes answers is excellent. Below five? Resolve to do everything you
can to keep your child healthy and safe in the coming year.

Upcoming Dates to Remember
January 3, 2005   Teacher Planning Day - No School for Students
                  Office hours: 7:00 AM - 4:00 PM

January 4, 2005   * Tigers Return at 8:20 AM
                  * Third nine weeks begins! Set your goals HIGH!
                  * We will have our Annual Back to Excellence Assembly on
                  this day, too. Be sure to ask your child about this.
                  * GSOC and BBB Tryouts begin! Students must have a 2.0GPA
                  and a completed physical to participate.
                  *PTO meeting at 7:00 PM in the Media Center

January 5, 2005   Book Check - All teachers will check with each student to
                  make sure that all students have the books that they
                  were issued earlier this school year.

January 7, 2005   Weekly Newsletter comes home with each student!

Stay tuned for information about our Saturday FCAT Academy for Success!

Ten Ways to Help Your Child Get Organized

As you know from the first semester at Griffin Middle School, developing
good organizational skills is a key ingredient for success in school and
in life. Although some people are by nature more organized than others,
anyone can put routines and systems in place to help a child "get it
together."

1. Use checklists.
Help your child get into the habit of keeping a "to-do" list. Use
checklists to post assignments, household chores, and reminders about what
materials to bring to class. Your child has a section in his/her agenda
book dedicated to listing homework assignments. Crossing completed items
off the list will give him/her a sense of accomplishment.

2. Organize homework assignments.
Before beginning a homework session, encourage your child to number
assignments in the order in which they should be done. She should start
with one that's not too long or difficult, but avoid saving the longest or
hardest assignments for last.

3. Designate a study space.
Your child should study in the same place every night. This doesn't have
to be a bedroom, but it should be a quiet place with few distractions. All
school supplies and materials should be nearby.

4. Set a designated study time.
Your child should know that a certain time every day is reserved for
studying and doing homework. The best time is usually not right after
school — most children benefit from time to unwind first. Include your
child in making this decision. This reserved time should be used to review
the day's lessons, read for 30 minutes (as required by Griffin Middle
School), or work on an upcoming project.

5. Keep organized notebooks.
Help your child keep track of papers by organizing them in a binder or
notebook. This will help him review the material for each day's classes
and to organize the material later to prepare for tests and quizzes. Use
dividers to separate class notes, or color-code notebooks. Separate "to
do" and "done" folders help organize worksheets, notices, and items to be
signed by parents, as well as provide a central place to store completed
assignments.

6. Conduct a weekly cleanup.
Encourage your child to sort through book bags and notebooks on a weekly
basis. Old tests and papers should be organized and kept in a separate
file at home or in class notebooks as required by teachers.

7. Create a household schedule.
Try to establish and stick to a regular dinnertime and a regular bedtime.
This will help your child fall into a pattern at home. Children with a
regular bedtime go to school well-rested. Try to limit television-watching
and computer play to specific periods of time during the day.

8. Keep a master calendar.
Keep a large, wall-sized calendar for the household, listing the family's
commitments, schedules for extracurricular activities, days off from
school, and major events at home and at school. Note dates when your child
has big exams or due dates for projects. This will help family members
keep track of each other's activities and avoid scheduling conflicts.

9. Prepare for the day ahead.
Before your child goes to bed, he should pack schoolwork, their signed
agenda book, and classroom books in a book bag. The next day's clothes
should be laid out with shoes, socks, and accessories. This will cut down
on morning confusion and allow your child to prepare quickly for the day
ahead.

10. Provide needed support while your child is learning to become more
organized.
Help your child develop organizational skills by photocopying checklists
and schedules and taping them to the refrigerator. Gently remind her about
filling in calendar dates and keeping papers and materials organized. Most
important, set a good example.