From:
Michelle Gayle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2006 06:04:07 -0400
Reminder - There will be no school on Monday, September 4, 2006 due to the
Labor Day Holiday. School will resume at 8:20 AM on Tuesday, September 5,
2006.

Please take your child to vote on Tuesday, September 5, 2006!

Yearbook Bargain Days at Griffin Middle School
On Thursday and Friday, August 31st & September 1st, students and faculty
may pre-purchase a yearbook for $30.00.  A FREE name stamp is included
during these days we call “Bargain Days”.  After Bargain Days, students
may continue to pre-pay for yearbooks for $35.00 or pay $35.00 when they
arrive in May.  In addition, due to a limited amount ordered, there is no
guarantee that extra yearbooks will be available.

2006-2007 School Improvement Plan Goals

Our first Public Hearing for our 2006-2007 School Improvement Plan took
place on August 24, 2006. The overall response from our stakeholders was
extremely positive.  It is not too late to review the goals that are
stated below and share your valuable input by calling (850.488.8436) or
emailing ([log in to unmask])  Dr. Gayle. We will identify
the strategies that will ensure that we achieve our school goals on
Tuesday, September 5, 2006 at our School Advisory Council (SAC) meeting at
6:00 PM. Please know that we value your input and suggestions as we
continue to provide excellence in education at Griffin Middle School!

School Goal One: Griffin Middle School students will perform at or above
grade level in reading [as measured by the Florida Comprehensive
Assessment Test.]

School Goal Two: Griffin Middle School students will perform at or above
grade level in writing [as measured by the Florida Comprehensive
Assessment Test.]

School Goal Three: Griffin Middle School students will perform at or above
grade level in mathematics [as measured by the Florida Comprehensive
Assessment Test.]

School Goal Four: Griffin Middle School students will perform at or above
grade level in science [as measured by the Florida Comprehensive
Assessment Test.]

School Goal Five: Griffin Middle School will continue to provide a safe
and caring environment that is conducive to learning.

School Goal Six: Griffin Middle School will continue to involve parents,
guardians, and community resources as active partners in achieving
successful student performance.

Our Vision
We believe that all students will have an opportunity to develop the
skills they need to pursue life’s goals and to participate fully as
informed and productive members of society.

Our Mission
To provide learning opportunities for students so that they may
realistically and effectively respond to future challenges and demands of
life.

Our Belief Statements
We believe that every student is capable of learning. To implement our
mission, we believe:

Our first priority is student learning in a safe and orderly environment.

A quality professional educator is required for each classroom.

Students will be actively engaged in critical thinking activities across
the curriculum.

Students will be provided with a variety of learning strategies.

Learning environments will allow for maximum learning at varied levels.

Parents will be involved in their child’s learning.

After School Activities   August 29, 2006 - September 5, 2006
Our after school activities start promptly at 2:50 PM and end at 4:30 PM.
If your child rides a regular school bus, he/she can also ride the after
school bus home free of cost. Please note that there will be three after
school buses that combine the routes of twelve regular buses. Therefore,
your child may arrive home well after 5:30 PM.

Activity  Sponsor   Dates
Tackle Football  Hankerson  08.29, 08.30,09.01,and
                                                09.05.06

Cheerleaders  Williams  08.29, 08.31,and 09.05.06

SGA   Jones   08.29.06

Girls Volleyball O’Neill   08.29, 08.30,and 09.05.06

Mini-Mu Alpha Theta Hill   08.30.06

Step Team  Jones   08.30.06

Cross Country  Jones   08.30, 09.01, and 09.05.06

Math Counts Club Hill   09.01.06

Homework Center  Jackson          09.05.06

Grief Support Group
To better meet the needs of our students, our school will be starting a
support group for students who have experienced the death of a parent,
grandparent, other family member, friend, or other significant person in
their lives.  The loss does not have to be recent for a student to benefit
from the group.  Group members may have experienced an anticipated or
sudden loss.  Sessions are designed to be fun, educational, and
appropriate for your child’s age.
Grief support can help children and teens understand the feelings and
changes brought about by a loss.  Studies suggest that extra support
following a loss can help students function better at home and school, and
gives them a special place for healing.
The 6-8 week long group will be held once a week for an hour each
session.  A trained grief counselor from The Caring Tree Program of Big
Bend Hospice will facilitate the sessions.  All students attending will be
expected to keep up with their school work.  We will work around any test
dates so as not to interfere with your child’s academic schedule.

The group will start September 7. Please contact Mrs. Jones in Guidance if
interested. Mrs. Jones can be rached at 850.488.4200.