From:
Michelle Gayle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 6 May 2006 22:32:30 -0400
It’s “E” Week in Tigerland!    EFCDAB

05.08.06
* Revised Tardy Policy begins (see more information below)!
* Three weeks left in the 4th nine weeks! Make every moment count, Tigers!

05.09.06
Spring Band & Chorus Concert
7:00 PM in the Tiger’s Den

05.10.06
GMS Career Fair 8:30 - 10:30 AM (please see Mrs. Jones for more details)

05.11.06
BETA Club Induction Ceremony
6:00 PM in the Media Center

05.12.06
All Media Center materials DUE!

05.13.06 (Stay tuned for exact times)
* Flag Football Championship
* Yearbook Garage Sale
* Track and Field Carwash

All Media Center books will be due on or before May 12, 2006!
Please help your child find all of their classroom textbooks ASAP.
We love our Tiger Team Teachers & Staff!
Tiger Team Appreciation Week is May 8 – 12, 2006 - Please call, email,
write a note or come by and thank your child's teachers and staff memebers!

Griffin Middle School Career Fair 2006
May 10, 2006
8:30 – 10:30 AM

Interested in helping? Please contact Mrs. Jones at 488.4200.

REVISED TARDY POLICY - PARENT NOTIFICATION

Due to the fact that we are experiencing an increase of student tardies, we
are implementing a new Tardy Policy that will remain in effect from May 8 –
26, 2006. The Administrative Team will reveiw this information with each
Griffin Middle School student via ITV on Monday, May 8, 2006 and each HR
teacher will also provide direct instruction regarding this revised policy.
Our goal in implementing this policy is to ensure that our last three weeks
of school at Griffin Middle School remain focused on teaching and learning.

Please review the unexcused tardy information below with your child:
Tardy 1 – Parent receives notification from classroom teacher,
Tardy 2 – Student is warned that the next tardy will result in one day of
OSS, and
Tardy 3 – Student referral is forwarded to Dr. Gayle. The student is
assigned OSS the following day.

Upon return, the student will then be placed back at the first step of this
process. Questions? Please call (488.8436) or emai
([log in to unmask]) Dr. Gayle.

Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Visit
Congratulations, Griffin Middle School! We successfully met each of the ten
Sothern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) Standards! Please review
some of the commendations that were shared by our SACS Peer Review Team
(Dr. M. Acton, Mr.  R. Richardson, Dr. K. Singh, Mrs. J. Burdeshaw, and
Mrs. R. Marshall) when they visited our school in April 2006:

1. Actively reflecting and implementing the philosophy that every
student is capable of learning.
2. Placing a priority on helping students develop skills which enable
them to participate in life-long learning.
3. Keeping the lines of communication open with all stakeholders by
sending weekly newsletters, maintaining agenda books, keeping the school’s
marquee current, and providing both a school web site and listserv.
4. Improving its monitoring system, especially of high incidence
areas, through the use of radios checked out to teachers, support staff,
and custodians.
5. Willing to work with university personnel on research projects
designed to enhance student learning and improve student behavior.
6. Planning of various assemblies, activities, clubs and classes that
promote good citizenship.
7. Giving opportunities to students to develop and demonstrate
leadership skills and a sense of responsibility and service to the
community through its clubs, its food and toy drives, and its leadership
class.
8. Making the learning environment a safe place to be by monitoring
students’ attendance and conduct and by communicating the code of conduct
to all stakeholders.
9. Allowing the curriculum to be adjusted to meet the needs of each
student while addressing the Sunshine State Standards.
10. Accessing and using pertinent data and research based programs to
improve student learning.
11. Participating in the pursuit of professional development.  This
includes collegial conversations, professional book studies, faculty
meetings, and email communications among the faculty members.
12. Developing and using technologies that facilitate learning
including the LIFE program.
13. Providing a wide variety of after school activities and services
for the student population.
14. Using site based management effectively to enhance school
leadership.
15. Positive, energetic, and effective leadership by the school
principal.
16. Caring, professional and innovative faculty and staff members who
are willing to do whatever it takes to meet the needs of all Griffin Middle
School students.

Have a positive and highly productive week, Tigers!