From:
Michelle Gayle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 21:20:12 -0500
December 15 - 19, 2003     It’s “E” Week in Tigerland!  - EFCDAB
12.15.03
* BETA Club Canned Food Distribution (We collected close to obe ton of food)
* All Media Center materials due!

12.16.03
Fall Fund Raiser Pick-up 5:00 – 7:00 PM / Media Center

12.17.03
* 12:10 PM Dismissal
* Fall Fund Raiser Pick-up 12:10 – 3:00 PM/ Media Center

12.18.03
* 12:10 PM Dismissal
* Parents Check & Sign Agenda Books

12.19.03 - School Spirit Day
* 12:10 PM Dismissal
* Show your Tiger Team Spirit by wearing Blue & White!

TIGERS LOOKING AHEAD   12.15.03 – 12.19.03
NO AFTERSCHOOL ACTIVITIES NEXT  WEEK

EXAM SCHEDULE  FOR 12.17.03 – 12.19.03

Time                  Wednesday         Thursday           Friday
8:20-10:00            B period       D period             F period

10:05-11:45           A period        C period           E period

11:50-12:10          C period          C period  C period

Important Notes……….Important Notes……Important Notes
A box lunch (sandwich, cookie, fruit or fruit juice) with milk will be
available in the lunchroom from 11:50 – 12:10 on Wednesday through Friday.
No other food items will be sold on Wednesday through Friday in order to
accommodate our Early Release/Exam schedule. Good luck on exams to all
Tigers!

From the Principal, Mrs. Michelle Gayle
Wow! This has been an exciting and activity filled week at Griffin Middle
School! Did you get an opportunity to see us during the Celebration of
Lights Parade? We looked and sounded great! Special thanks to Mr. Heinz,
our Tiger Team Marching Band, our Band Parents, Ms. Williams, our GMS
Cheerleaders, Mrs. Jones, Youth Crime Watch, Student Government Association
and all of the other parents who marched in the parade with us. Way to go,
Tigers!
 Ms. Williams and our Black History Brain Bowl Team competed in the
district contest this past Saturday. Our team looked great and represented
Griffin well! We are very proud and thank our team members – Ayo Cherry,
Jazmine Black, Kierra Wilson, Carissa Harris and Maisha Alexander – for all
of their hard work!
 As promised, here is this week’s construction update. The student
bathrooms across from the cafeteria have completely disappeared –
foundation and all. There is also construction work that is being completed
on the back of the cafeteria this week. The construction crew members work
each weekend to make sure that our August 2004 project completion date
becomes a reality.
Our Band and Chorus presented their Winter Concert on Tuesday, December 9,
2003. The gym was packed and everyone enjoyed the special program that
showcased the talents of our students. Special thanks to Mr. Heinz (our
band director) and Mr. Whitfield (our choral director) for providing such a
special holiday treat for one and all.
Finally,  I would like to thank everyone for a wonderful first semester. It
is through our teamwork that we are able to accomplish great things at
Griffin Middle School. As always, please do not hesitate to call upon me at
488.8436 or email me at [log in to unmask] Have a positive
holiday season and a Tiger-riffic New Year!

Tiger Team Applause
Congratulations to Coach Kauffman and the  Tiger Soccer Team for earning
the Division 1A Championship for the 2003 soccer season!

Congratulations to Coach Whitfield, Coach Dixon, Coach Raffington and the
Lady Tiger Basketball Team! They successfully defeated every team in the
district during the 2003 basketball season!

Congratulations to our School Spelling Bee Winners:
Tyrina Merritt – 1st Place
Adam LaRose – 2nd Place
Megan Doyle – 3rd Place

Activities Make A Difference
Your middle schooler’s first job at school is his/her classwork. However,
afterschool activities, such as sports, band, clubs and other organizations
can be important, too. These activities make students feel connected to the
school – and that helps with education. Researchers who looked at this
issue found that students who took part in activities:
• Earned higher grades,
• Had better social skills,
• Were less likely to drop out of school, and
• Felt stronger ties to the school.
This new year, take advantage of all of the activities that Griffin has to
offer afterschool.

Looking Ahead
Winter Holidays December 22, 2003 – January 5, 2004
Teacher Planning Day – January 5, 2004
Students Return - Tuesday, January 6, 2004 at 8:20 AM
Next PTO Meeting – Tuesday, January 6, 2003 7:00 PM in the Media Center –
Please Join Us!
Next newsletter goes home with students – Friday, January 9, 2004
Have a safe and joyful Winter Holiday!